All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
What is wrong with food companies?
      #177887 - 05/10/05 01:38 AM
momof2

Reged: 07/27/04
Loc: Belgium, but soon to be Maryland

I'm so mad! I bought some rice crispies a couple of days ago. I'm thinking that this is a food that can only help, not hurt. Well, I've had more D than usual the last couple of days, and I couldn't figure out why it got worse. Lo and behold! Kellog's Rice Crispies has HFCS! Evil! I wish the food companies would wake up and get a clue about this stuff. Not only is a trigger for a lot of people with IBS but there are accusations floating around that it might account for the rise in both type II diabetes and childhood obesity. This stuff is poison! GRRR!

--------------------
*Karyn* IBS D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What is wrong with food companies? new
      #177909 - 05/10/05 06:38 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

My supermarket's store brand of Rice Krispies does not have HFCS - you may want to check out generic or store brands.

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#177923 - 05/10/05 07:21 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

HA! Don't get me started on food companies. They use HFCS for the same reason that they use partially hydrogenated oils in ALOT of foods. It is a CHEAP way to sweeten, or in the case of PHO, preserve foods. They can make less of them, extend the shelf life and charge higher prices. They could CARE LESS about people with medical issues. It is the same with drug companies(seriously, but that is an ENTIRE other topic). They are out to MAKE MONEY for themselves.....you should avoid buying anything w/HFCS and PHO's....they are SO BAD for your body for SO MANY reasons. Buy purchasing products that do not have these items in them....and they are out there....HOPEFULLY it will force some of these companies to eventually change their ingredients. I know that the PHO thing has been an issue for awhile and there are now things on the shelves that say "no trans fats" but you still have to read the ingredients. Sometimes they sneak it in there......

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

#177945 - 05/10/05 08:31 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Yup, HFCS does seem to be in almost everything. I suggest you write a letter to Kellogg's, explaining your displeasure. If enough people did that, maybe they'd consider a line of food without HFCS. I read somewhere on the Boards recently that Heinz is coming out with ketchup that doesn't have HFCS.

The problem is going to be that, as I understand it, HFCS is very cheap for food companies to use, so if they produce products without it, those products are probably going to cost more. It will be interesting to see how many people are going to be willing to pay more to avoid HFCS. (Of course, that argument seems weird if you consider store brands - which I always think of as being cheaper - are NOT using HFCS.)

In the meantime, do check out the store brands or switch to General Mills Rice Chex. I just read the ingredients on the box I have and there is no HFCS in there - I should write a letter to thank them for that.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#177967 - 05/10/05 10:25 AM
kateL

Reged: 12/14/04
Loc: Camano Island, WA

I agree with the fact that food companies are not concerned about what they put in our food. Money is more important and ways to expand the food and make is stretch farther and also make you buy more of it. Did anyone see the doc movie Super size me? It addresses some of the issues of what the food companies care about. Also if anyone has junk food issues this movies will surely make you rethink that!

#177969 - 05/10/05 10:38 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

I haven't eaten at a fast food chain since seeing that movie. I saw it about a month or two before I was diagnosed with IBS - so the opportunity was still there. That movie definitely makes you think differently. There is also a book called Fast Food Nation - I can't remember the author. Another great thing to open your eyes about what the industry is all about...

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#177973 - 05/10/05 10:58 AM
MikeE

Reged: 03/31/05
Loc: Seattle, WA

Another comment on Rice Crispies, for those with gluten intolerance there is Malt in the ingredients. Malt is a no no for people with Gluten Intollerence.

European Rice Krispies.... new
      #177975 - 05/10/05 11:08 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Karyn,

Did you buy the rice krispies at an American store in Belgium? I only ask cos mine don't have it in them....

here's the ingredients for US Rice Krispies:
Ingredients:
Rice, sugar, salt, high fructose corn syrup, malt flavoring, ascorbic acid (vitamin C), niacinamide, reduced iron, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavin (vitamin B2), thiamin hydrochloride (vitamin B1), vitamin A palmitate, folic acid, vitamin B12 and vitamin D. To maintain quality, BHT has been added to the packaging.

and for UK ones
Ingredients
Rice, Sugar, Salt, Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Barley Malt Flavouring, Niacin, Iron, Vitamin B6, Riboflavin (B2), Thiamin (B1), Folic Acid, Vitamin B12.

Now,can someone confirm for once and for all that glucose-fructose syrup is not as bad as HFCS or is safe? I know I have no issues tolerating stuff with it in it but I am wary recommending it to others...

Rice Krispies are VERY VERY safe for me, especially dry...

--------------------
S.

Heather Van V- can you help on this? new
      #177977 - 05/10/05 11:09 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Quote:

Now,can someone confirm for once and for all that glucose-fructose syrup is not as bad as HFCS or is safe? I know I have no issues tolerating stuff with it in it but I am wary recommending it to others...

--------------------
S.

Glucose shouldn't be a problem, but new
      #177985 - 05/10/05 11:43 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I don't know about glucose-fructose syrup. It would probably depend on how much fructose is actually in there. Not everyone with IBS is fructose-intolerant, so those folks can usually tolerate small amounts of fructose. Large amounts of fructose cause digestive upset for everyone, even if they don't have IBS. But if you're fructose-intolerant, you might not be able to have any.

Sorry not more help here.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1543 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 18120

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review