All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
AFRAID OF DOCTORS
      #17492 - 08/15/03 06:54 PM
tinam

Reged: 08/15/03
Loc: Florida

I would like to first thank those who responded to my first post yesterday. I have always had many stomach problems and am lactose intolerant. I stopped eating cheese and pizza but as I get older my stomach becomes more and more weak and painful. I have been very sick for 3 weeks now with constant cramps and diarreah. I feel so weak and tired and don't go out much for fear of an attack.

I do plan to buy Heather's book and appreciate any comments and help. I am shocked to see how many people suffer from this. And some of you are so young! I will be praying for you all.

My thing is a big fear of Doctors and their tests. I do not take drugs as they make me so sick so I don't see the sense of going to a doctor. I am a cancer survivor (12+ years now) and hate anything to do with doctors or hospitals.

I have a deep faith that God will heal me but I have been so bad off lately.

I just wanted to let you all know that I appreciate you all opening up about this dreaded condition and making it possible for newbies like me to deal with it and talk about it.

God bless you all,
Tina

--------------------
Cast your burden on the Lord, and He will sustain you; Psalm 55:22

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: AFRAID OF DOCTORS new
      #17498 - 08/15/03 08:18 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Tina - One thing that might help you is that a lot (and maybe all) of the tests a doctor will run will be bloodwork. So that's not so scary... After those results are back you'll maybe talk about something like a colonoscopy, and if that's done right you should be asleep and not feel a thing. And that may never even need to be done.

So, if you can, try to see a GI doc because it's really, really important to make sure you don't have something that could cause much greater problems than IBS.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#17500 - 08/15/03 09:01 PM
Free2bDee

Reged: 07/22/03

Heather is VERY right~ The first step to helping yourself is to find the right doctor for you. A qualified GI doc who has time to listen will be the most important thing you can do for yourself, religion or no religion. When you find out exactly what is wrong with yourself, you will be able to do the right things to heal or at least control your symptoms. Some conditions can be worse than 'IBS' such as intestinal cancer which can, as I understand it, surface from years of not being aware of how to treat your troubles. One example is Celiac Disease (something I'm becoming more & more familiar with) is connected with some very serious illness, including the cancer that I just mentioned.

Just take care and be sure that you're not outweighing the 'fear' over something worse... Which is not knowing.

Hoping things will look up for you soon~
Sincerely,

--------------------
~Deborah

#17590 - 08/17/03 01:38 PM
KaybeeC

Reged: 03/14/03
Loc: Ohio

Hi, Tina -

I'm a "'fraidy cat", too! I have suffered from panic disorder for most of my life, especially bad in the '80s and '90s. However, when I was saved in 1996, I found that faith you're speaking of - and my friends have "prayed me through" a lot of appointments! My anxiety is far, far better than it used to be and I can handle most regular appointments and minor tests. But when I had to have a colonoscopy this year, I asked a friend to take me because I knew she would be praying for me. My church prayed for me, too, for the test results and for the anxiety. Then, when I had to have a hysterectomy for endometrial cancer a couple of months ago, my friends came through again. They just bathe me in prayer and encourage me. Christ is my Rock and Redeemer and I know that He's with me in all things - even when I'm scared. When I submit to whatever it is I'm afraid of, the Lord blesses me with peace and I come out of the situation feeling victorious and stronger than before. I've just been building on each experience and developing more and more faith - He's never let me down! That's not to say I enjoy the experiences or that I even look forward to them - but now I know that "I can do all things through Christ Who is my Strength." Before dental appointments and surgery, I spend extra time in Scriptures that encourage me about God's presence - and sometimes I write them out on little cards and take them right into the treatment / operating room with me until they put me to sleep! I've found my doctors, even the ones who don't share my faith, are very sympathetic and willing to allow me these little courtesies. I hope and pray that this might encourage you to make and keep the appointments you need to make - I believe God will bless your step of faith and strengthen you. He wants you healthy - mind, body and spirit!

Blessings,
Kaybee C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 828 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 659

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review