All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS Diet and Breastfeeding
      #17353 - 08/15/03 06:17 AM
Cate712

Reged: 07/18/03
Loc: Missouri

I've been thinking off and on the last week or so about my following the IBS diet and nursing my nine month old son. It seems that most of my extra flab that I gained during my first pregnancy and my last is now gone....except for the tummy! However, since I've cut out soda and dairy, even my tummy is not so bloated. So, if I'm keeping up my fruit and veggie intake, eating fish and chicken, and drinking soy milk, is there any need to "worry" that I'm depriving myself of nutrients? It's obvious to me that my son is getting plenty of nutrients and fat from my breastmilk because he's gaining weight as he should and our bodies provide first for our babies then mamas get the "leftovers"....hmmm sounds normal. Is there anything else I should be doing? Caloric intake seems to be my concern. Thoughts?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS Diet and Breastfeeding new
      #17430 - 08/15/03 12:28 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi- I can't think of why there would be any problem here, but to be safe you might check with a midwife, lactation consultant (maybe through the La Leche League?) or dietician who has experience with vegan diets. I know that's not what you're eating, but someone who's knowledgable with that will be well-qualified to deal with the IBS diet.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#17444 - 08/15/03 12:45 PM
Cate712

Thanks Heather! I was hesitant to call the peds office not knowing what to say or ask and have to explain my condition. I'll look on the LLL website. Can't believe I haven't checked there before!! I keep hoping that I'll be able to eat even a little red meat and am finding that it's a no-no. Thanks for being there!

#17490 - 08/15/03 05:08 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Hi, Cate. I'm in the same boat as you - back to breastfeeding (my girl is 10 days old!). I have a 2 year old son as well. I wouldn't worry if I were you. If you are eating a balanced diet with lots of variations, you should be just fine. Heather's idea on consults is good if you want specific info and keep track of nutrients.
What I ended up doing was just making sure I was doing my best with my diet and taking a multivitamin to make sure I was getting everything I needed. Simple, but reassuring.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#17496 - 08/15/03 08:10 PM
Cate712

Thanks Han! I know that Tyler is just fine since our bodies give them all the good stuff first and we get what's left over. I just don't want to deprive my body. I do take a prenatal/lactating vitamin and am trying to do my best with the food pyramid recommendations. I checked out the Le Leche League website under the vegan diet and feel better about it.

I'm glad you responded! I've been thinking of you off and on today and wondered how you were getting along with your new baby. I'm not a fan of those first few weeks but absolutely adore my two boys now!! Zach is 31 months and Tyler is 9 months. PS: Tyler won 1st place in the baby show in my hometown festival!! I've never entered my babies before and decided I'd better so I don't regret not doing so. My husband is not a fan of baby shows but I thought it was great just to see all those cute little faces! Everyone had pink cheeks since it was soooo hot! We're in the dog days of summer here in Missouri. Can't believe you're on the computer! Take care of your little one! I saw her pic and she is darling!

Re: IBS Diet and Breastfeeding - fish etc. new
      #17505 - 08/15/03 10:19 PM
Fia

Reged: 07/21/03
Loc: Sweden

In sweden pregnant and brestfeeding mothers are recommended to avoid fish from lakes and polluted waters because of their content of mercury etc. If you want to eat sushi the salmon must stay in the freezer about 24 hours because thre can be parasites in the fish. And all seafood like prawns must be boiled (I guess a lot is pre-boiled whem we by it but you can get them raw in the fish market). And I don't think it's recommended to take Immodium or other medication.

Good luck with the baby!

Fia

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2212 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 828

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review