All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
My Luncheon Went Really Well
      #17072 - 08/12/03 01:24 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Thanks to all of you (especially Heather) for your suggestions for what to do with my ladies group that meets weekly. I had them all over at my house today. I had made everything from Heather's cookbook, and everything was a big hit!
I think it was a big eye-opener for them. When they saw the food I had prepared, they said, "You can eat this?" When I explained that it was safe because it was all dairy-free and low fat, one of them remarked, "Oh, you mean it has no taste." I said, "Just wait until you try it."
A few minutes later, they were all wanting to see this cookbook and asking me for pen and paper so they could copy the recipes down.
I served the Italian Tuna, Lemon and Basil Pasta Salad, the smoky eggplant hummus with pita bread, and the Lemon-Glazed Sticky Bread (with a side of sliced strawberries). I had a little of the Chocolate Applesauce Cake leftover from this weekend, so I put it out with the coffee (theirs, not mine) and hot tea when they arrived. They loved that too! Also, I had some leftover Chocolate Peppermint Fudge Cake and I put it out with extra glaze on the plate and surrounded it with strawberries. (I like the glaze with less peppermint extract and more coffee in it! Kind of like a mocha cake.)
They loved everything and kept asking, "This came out of THAT cookbook too?" as they shook their heads in amazement. "But, it's so GOOD!" they said.
I got the most compliments on the lemon bread. They all swore it was lemon pound cake. With its crusty top, it did look and taste like the pound cake my mother makes that has about 6 eggs and a pound of butter in it.
Maybe I can get them all to use Heather's recipes, whether they have IBS or not!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: My Luncheon Went Really Well new
      #17075 - 08/12/03 01:33 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

That is wonderful!! I'm just now starting to use the cookbook and have had great results with hubby liking everything so far.... once I try a few more.... I too will have over family & friends and use nothing but Heather's book.

See all that worry and you were a hit!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#17076 - 08/12/03 01:36 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

That is so wonderful that your luncheon went well.

Now I hope you can slowly turn them around and get them to understand that you truly have a sickness and it is very necessary that you follow these recipes.

Good luck and congratulations! You're choices sounds excellent too!

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#17079 - 08/12/03 01:48 PM
BL

I just realized, when looking at the cookbook, that I forgot to make the glaze for the lemon bread, (It is called "Lemon-Glazed Sticky Bread. Duh!) I guess in all the confusion of my day yesterday in the kitchen that it didn't even dawn on me that I should glaze it. (remember my oven was smoking from the mess the charred eggplants made and my neighbor had to bake the bread in her oven?) Well, I don't know how the lemon bread could have been any better than it was. It was everyone's favorite----without the glaze!

This is terrific!! See? You are a good cook!! -nt- new
      #17082 - 08/12/03 02:21 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#17089 - 08/12/03 02:58 PM
Judithg

Reged: 07/14/03
Loc: California

Wow, BL! Sounds fabulous! You've inspired me!
Judithg

Forgot to Mention that I'm Dead Tired! Yawn! -----nt----- new
      #17094 - 08/12/03 03:05 PM
BL

#17102 - 08/12/03 03:36 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

BL - That's fantabulous!!! I'm so happy everything came out. I was wondering how things for going for you. Isn't that funny - today when I was having lunch, I thought, "Oh BL's luncheon is probably going on right now - I wonder how she's making out."

I hope this will help them be more understanding in the future.

Mags new
      #17111 - 08/12/03 04:47 PM
BL

You're so sweet! I can't believe you were thinking about me today.

That is really awesome!! You can cook!!! NT new
      #17116 - 08/12/03 06:18 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

#17147 - 08/13/03 06:40 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

Your questions about the lemon bread prompted me to actually make it. My girls loved it. My husband had some and said this is good. Why haven't we had this before? I had no answer except I better make some more since it is almost gone.

Glad you luncheon went great. Maybe I should do one too.

#17151 - 08/13/03 06:58 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

BL,

I'm starting to think you were just fishing for compliments saying you're a bad cook!

I'm so thrilled for you! Thanks for inspiring us!

Yipppeee for BL!!!!!!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Ruchie, not at all! new
      #17161 - 08/13/03 10:18 AM
BL

No, I wasn't fishing for compliments! I was just amazed that I actually pulled it off. It seems like everytime I prepare things for guests, some disaster happens in the kitchen and I mess everything up. Once a made this casserole that friends said was "foolproof," and it was so awful that I had to take my guests out to dinner (and the casserole ended up in the trashcan.) It's usually not my cooking skills, just bad luck! I've had the oven quit working, sometimes I don't hear the timer when it goes off, or I drop something in the dish and ruin it. Once I made a cake when my inlaws were coming and my mother-in-law bit down on something hard. We discovered it was a piece of the Rubbermaid container (that held my flour). I knew it had fallen off, but why in the heck did my mother-in-law have to find it in her piece of cake???? Last time they were here, I dropped a drinking glass and the pieces of glass went all over the counter. I didn't know whether to throw everything out or serve it as it was. Thank goodness we didn't find any pieces of glass in the food! Am I the only Klutz in the Kitchen?

#17174 - 08/13/03 11:43 AM
RLU

Reged: 02/04/03
Loc: Jackson, Mississippi

Oh that is soooooo great!!!! Maybe they will buy Heather's cookbook and start preparing some dishes from it in consideration for you!!!! I hope so!!!

--------------------
Screen Name: Nan275

#17182 - 08/13/03 12:17 PM
cloudygirl

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Washington

Hi Beaglelover,
I'm so glad your luncheon went well. Heather's book is great! I hope your friends will be more accepting of your dietary needs now. I'm so happy it worked out for you.
Cloudygirl

#17192 - 08/13/03 01:49 PM
Lana_Marie

I must admit, I am terrible every now and then with new meals. But you take the cake when it comes to accidents in the kitchen, BL.

Nothing worse than your mother IN LAW finding the problem too, because they never seem to forget about what you just about made her eat. And then they wonder what you are feeding their son when they are not around. LOL

Atleast that is my mother in law in a nut shell.

Sooner or later, you will get better luck in the kitchen though. According to your luncheon post, maybe it has started

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#17234 - 08/14/03 12:34 AM
Free2bDee

Reged: 07/22/03

Sounds like an enjoyable time! Congratulations on your success. I find it amazing that most people connect 'special diets' with bland taste.

My daughter follows a very strict gluten-free diet for Celiac Disease and we've been able to be very creative for her sake. Something that is NOT easy to do for a young girl, but with the right attitude and the will to make it work, it can be a positive change!

Again, congrats...

--------------------
~Deborah

#17235 - 08/14/03 12:42 AM
Free2bDee

Reged: 07/22/03

Lana... As I sit here reading your post I'm giggling about a 'fond' memory I share with my Mom 'in-law'. It also involves a food-mishap...

Upon my first meeting with my 'future' Mother-in-law, I served coffee & freshly baked banana muffins. Unfortunately the 'creamer' I offered her happened to be 'parmesan cheese'. Aaak! So she never passes up the opportunity to needle me on that one & we all get a good laugh out of it!

Aren't in-laws grand?

--------------------
~Deborah

#17238 - 08/14/03 02:29 AM
Morven

Reged: 07/31/03
Loc: Scotland,UK

Am so pleased for you!! I'm not the best in the kitchen,but having read all your posts,you've definetly given me some inspiration to give it all a go!!!

--------------------
Morven

Deborah.... new
      #17242 - 08/14/03 05:39 AM
BL

Just wondering if your mother-in-law's coffee turned thick and orange??? Ha!

#17253 - 08/14/03 08:37 AM
Lana_Marie

LOL - It must be God's funny way of "Rookie Initiation" LOL. Why does all the strange things happen when the mother in law is around LOL.

I'm glad to hear I am not the only one!

--------------------
Lana_Marie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3497 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3098

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review