All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
HIRSCHSPRUNG'S DISEASE
      #1706 - 03/01/03 02:26 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Hi - Just read in the newspaper last night a letter directed to Ask Dr. Donohue and was about Hirschsprung's Disease. The person's symptoms were swollen belly, constipation and severe pain (it didn't say where the pain was).

Dr. Donohue's answer was that it is a congenital disease. The lower parts of the colon fail to develop nerves during fetal life. Without these nerves, colon muscles cannot contract. The colon cannot move waste through and out of itself. The results are a bloated abdomen and severe constipation.

Does anyone know anything about this disease, which seems like it mimics IBS.?

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Good info for this.. new
      #1710 - 03/01/03 03:36 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Found a great Nat'l. Institute of Health link website

It sounds like diagnostic tests can positively identify this disorder - the nerve cells in the colon are simply missing, and this is physically visible in a biopsy.

The symptoms sure do sound like IBS-C in a lot of people - yet another reason to make sure someone has the proper diagnostic tests before they accept a doctor's word that they have IBS.

Thanks for the good question Sharon - I wouldn't be surprised to hear some people post that they have this or know someone who does, but was initially misdiagnosed with IBS.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Good info for this...I found the same website new
      #1717 - 03/01/03 05:36 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Heather - I posted this because a lot of people were talking about severe pains with bloating and constipation, so I thought it might be relevant.

I wish I could find where this doc practices because he really looks into things for people.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 548 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 934

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review