All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
I really need some help
      #1685 - 02/28/03 11:03 PM
Kimbo

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Edmonton, AB, Canada

Hello Everyone! I'm brand new to this so forgive if I make any mistakes. I was diagnosed with IBS in 1999 but stupidly believed there was nothing i could do to control it or to help myself. I suffered in silence. In 2000, my husband and I moved to Japan. Since I can't speak, read or write the language, I had to depend on McDonald's or food products with pictures. Since then I have been trying to control my condition. On our short journeys back to Canada, we would bring back non-perishables to supplement the fresh veggies and meat we bought in Japan. Such things as Betty Crocker instant mashed potatoes, Chicken Helper, spices, soups...

Currently, I am struggling to control everything but I keep swinging from constipation to diaherra. I don't get the horribly severe attacks as often - that much I have been able to control. But the constipation is driving me crazy. I feel as if I have to accept one or the other - that I have no choice. I feel so helpless because I don't have access to things I normally would in Canada (we're not scheduled to move back until the end of this year) While I'm trying to ease the pain with the staples I have, I can't find soy milk and tofu scares me. We eat mostly chicken, veggies, soups, salads, french bread, pasta, oatmeal, toast, peanut butter, egg salad, white rice, potatoes, etc. After consulting the diet guide and diet FAQ..it seems we're doing almost everything right (my husband has ulcerative colitis). But why am I struggling with severe constipation? I find myself eating the wrong stuff just so that I will have diaherra and can clear my system. (I know this is bad - but I'm desperate) I can't consult doctors here because they don't believe this is a real syndrome.

Could someone please take me under their wing and give me guidance?

Do you have any basic recipe's (containing ingredients I might be able to find here?)

Do you know of any good import companies that have a website? (I need to find more metamucil)

Thank you for taking the time to read my plea, I look forward to any help you can offer me.

Kim

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I really need some help new
      #1687 - 03/01/03 12:53 AM
juniorrachel

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: St. Louis, MO

hey!

sorry to hear you're having such a hard time over there. fortunately, though, a lot of asian food goes right along with the IBS diet. i think that miso is pretty common in japan, and i'm pretty sure that's good for your tummy. :-) and i live on rice, which i'm sure you have plenty of there.

you might want to try and order some equalactin, a fiber supplement, from www.hardtofindbrands.com i just started using it and i think it's helping me a lot so far.

i can sympathize with you about the alternating (c) and (d). i really don't know much about what to tell you because mine is not really under control yet. i think it's a bit easier when you're predominately one or the other.

i wish i could help you more... i'm sure lots of people on this board will be happy to help you out. everyone has great suggestions and we're all here for support.

welcome!

Beth

Re: Welcome new
      #1692 - 03/01/03 08:50 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Kim - Welcome aboard! Can you get canned pumpkin? Can you get Fibercon or something equal to its ingredients? Psyllium can cause gas/bloating probs.

Check out Heather's website to get started and read about IBS and get her books so you have a ready reference at home.
Check the Recipe Exchange board on this forum for any recipes that you might be able to fix. If you could give us a list of can goods and fresh veggies and breads you can get, maybe we could help you w/more recipes. There are a lot of people on here that just love to cook and exchange recipes and goodness knows, I have a room full of cookbooks. We all can do substitutions and if we can't, someone will know what to do, especially Heather...our Recipe Queen Mother! I'm just the Recipe Goddess...I hold no candle to RQM.

Re websites, go to a search engine and do a search for metamucil. Look on the boxes or bottles of things that you use now and if they have a website, it's usually printed on them.

Good Luck, let us know what you can get there, and Welcome!
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#1705 - 03/01/03 02:20 PM
sona

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: UK

Hi Kim

I just wanted to write to you to let you know you are not alone. My symptons are very similar to yours, and I too have eaten the wrong stuff to try and bring on an attack to clear the consitpation. Wrong, I know, but when you are desperate, unique logic comes into play.

Can you get hold of Heather's books? Amazon should be able to help. I find tofu is a safe food, as long as there is not too much yeast in any marinade. I always marinade it, otherwise it tastes awful, or maybe I'm just a lousy cook! Rice noodles are good too and Fennel tea is excellent for bloating and gas which goes hand in hand with chronic constipation.

I've not tried it or checked out the content, but if you can't get soya, is rice milk available?

Hope you are feeling better soon.

#1732 - 03/01/03 09:43 PM
Kimbo

Thank you so much Sona!

Your message sure made me feel better. How do you recommend I prepare Tofu? I've never tried!

When I order Heather's books - it will take them a few months to get here so I'm looking for ideas, recipes, advice to tide me over. Also unique subsititions for the stuff I won't be able to get here.

#1733 - 03/01/03 09:51 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Just a quick note, I'm pretty sure you should get the books in about a week. It's usually fast no matter where you live.
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Re: Welcome new
      #1734 - 03/01/03 09:56 PM
Kimbo

Sharon! You are amazing! Thanks so much for your support! As soon as I can - I'll whip up a list and leave myself in your hands!

Thanks again!

Kim

#1735 - 03/01/03 09:58 PM
Kimbo

thanks Kerrie - unfortunately, thats what they tell me but not the reality. We order through Amazon Japan and our last order was scheduled to arrive in 2 weeks and it took a month because for some strange reason they went through Amsterdam!

#1736 - 03/01/03 10:01 PM
Kimbo

Beth, just hearing from you has helped me! Thanks so much for your letter.

Unfortunately, in addition to the IBS, I have allergies. Right on top of the list is anything with bean curd in it - so Miso is out. I also can't eat fish, eggplant, nato, octopus or squid. It's insane!

But I tell you - there is nothing quite like Japanese white rice! YUM!

I can get you the books in 3-5 days... new
      #1739 - 03/01/03 10:50 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I'm not sure why on earth amazon.com would take so long - that's just ridiculous. I ship out books every day with global priority mail, and they get all around the world within a week. I haven't had any problems with delays anywhere in Asia.

The order site is http://www.heatherandco.com/catalog.htm

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7518 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2524

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review