All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Not enough fiber?
      #16520 - 08/06/03 11:30 PM
gg

Reged: 08/06/03

I have been following the book for about 8 months and value the information as my "Bible". I was taking Citrucel powder (1 scoop) once a day. I recently changed to Fiber Choice-because of info in a post here-I take 1 tablet twice a day. I STILL have constipation. Do I need even more? I am very cautious with fruits and veggies. Maybe I should add in more of them as well? Help!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Not enough fiber? new
      #16521 - 08/07/03 03:08 AM
geekgirl

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: UK

Are you drinking enough water? When increasing your soluble fibre intake you need to take more fluids too for it to work. I guess that's especially important for those with C.

Geekgirl.

#16522 - 08/07/03 03:27 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi gg and welcome to the boards!

Geekgirl is right about the water. You want to get a ton & then some.

When you say you are cautious with fruits & veggies, does that mean you don't eat many? You need to safely incorporate as much insoluble as you can tolerate. Try pureed smoothies, soups, sauces, etc. - of course these are all with your soluble fiber base.

Also, I don't know how much you exercise, but you want to get some in, even if it's just a stroll around the block. Exercise helps get things moving along also.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

#16536 - 08/07/03 07:17 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Hi GG and Welcome! I am also IBS C. I take 8 fiber con a day so you may want to try to increase your fiber supplement a little and DRINK LOTS OF WATER! Also, as mags said you need to incorporate as much insoluble fiber as you can tolerate. My constipation is much better since I added in more soluable fiber such as chick peas or hummus, green beans, baked beans (use BEANO if you have gas issues that really helps me a lot!) Try putting strawberries in your cereal, I even eat wheat bread and some rasin bran. The key is you need to add these things in slowly and be sure to keep up your soluble fiber at the same time! If you still have constipation after that you may want to ask your doctor about mira-lax, it is a prescription laxative so make this the last resort but I have decided it is better to take it and live a semi-normal life than be miserable all the time!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#16545 - 08/07/03 08:20 AM
gg

Reged: 08/06/03

Thanks for all of your advice. I'll do it and let you know!

#16665 - 08/07/03 10:13 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - great advice from everyone, and I'd add that you can take up to 6 Fiberchoice tablets a day (which is 12 grams soluble fiber). Try gradually increasing until you're up to two tablets, three times a day.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#17113 - 08/12/03 05:12 PM
jo1978

Reged: 02/26/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia

are you getting over 30grams of fibre a day? i sat down with my gp and despite the fact that i'm on 4T benefiber a day plus oatbran etc i still fall short sometimes. it's hard to get enough in, especially as the safe things aren't especially high (eg potatoes, rice, pasta etc are good stabilisers but not high at all). try adding all your fibre points up over a few days and see how far off you are. this might help.

#17114 - 08/12/03 05:21 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Don't be afraid of the fruits and vegetables. You need to eat them if you want relief from your constipation. I was cautious of eating them too, but have been so much better since adding them back into my diet. As long as you have them with some soluble fiber and not on an empty stomach, you will be ok. By the way, I had to stop the Fiber Choice tablets because they were causing horrible gas pains. I'm back to the Citrucel now.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3580 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1949

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review