All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Dilemna...
      #1637 - 02/28/03 09:19 AM
NancyT

Reged: 02/24/03
Loc: USA

I know dairy is a huge culprit in symptoms of IBS. I'm 56 and bone density tests show my bones are thinning. I know Fosomax causes gas and that's the last thing I need more of! I've discontinued HRT because of the findings, and continue to take Citrical+D (says it does not promote gas). How can I be sure I'll get enough calcium to help with this issue? My books should be coming today or tommorow. Can't wait to learn more about this bewildering IBS and how to deal. I am using soymilk but don't know if it will help.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Dairy and calcium - not what you think new
      #1648 - 02/28/03 10:44 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - You can get calcium fortified soy milk, and since you're already taking a calcium supplement you may well be meeting your daily need. There are a lot of really interesting studies showing that dairy is not actually good for your bones after all - check the footnotes in Eating for IBS. The Harvard Nurses study (tracking 80,000 women over decades now) most recently re-confirmed this - the higher a woman's dairy intake, the MORE likely she was to suffer a bone break as she ages.

There's a good general page about this at http://www.makingpages.org/health/calcium.osteoporosis.html

It's got summaries of a lot of the info I've read the in-depth clinical research studies for. The information is definitely valid.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Dairy and calcium - not what you think new
      #1657 - 02/28/03 12:48 PM
NancyT

Reged: 02/24/03
Loc: USA

Thank you, Heather, for the helpful information. I am so pleased I found you! Boy, have I been misinformed!

Bless you! NancyT

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 385 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1116

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review