All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
"Fibresmart" supplement
      #16064 - 08/02/03 01:32 PM
LindaLouise

Reged: 07/20/03
Loc: Toronto, Canada

Has anyone heard of a fibre supplement in Canada called "Fibresmart" (or "Fibersmart")?? I called a specialty pharmacy here in Toronto yesterday to see if they could order anything for me that didn't have psyllium in it (having read all the postings from other Canadians who couldn't find anything here). They said they had no sources for any of the brands that Heather recommended, but they said they have Fibresmart in the store, and that it doesn't have psyllium in it. Anyone heard of it or tried it? Or any general cautions? Also, I noticed that Heather suggests "Fiberiffic" and I wondered if anyone has found this in Toronto?

Hopeful that I won't have to spend $60Cdn from Medichest.com on Citrucel,

Linda

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: "Fibresmart" supplement new
      #16065 - 08/02/03 02:17 PM
Teg

Reged: 05/05/03
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hello Linda,
What part of Toronto do you live in. I live in Ajax and we have a few different kinds of fiber that are not psyllium in a health food store here. I use fiberrific (powder) and have just bought a new fiber supplement called Fiber Delights (chewable tablets) to try. Both are inulin (from Chicory root). I would look in the health food stores, or even in GNC not in the pharmacies. The pharmacy seems to only carry metamucil and other generic psylliums.
Hope this helps... I am sure you can find these in T.O, you have way more health food sources than we do.
T

#16066 - 08/02/03 02:22 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - I hadn't heard of it but found info online - check here web page

It doesn't say if it's soluble or insoluble fiber - my guess is it's both. Flax seed, the number one ingredient, has both forms of fiber. I'm not sure about borage seed. FOS and guar gum are both pure soluble fiber.

This actually looks like a really interesting product - it seems to be geared towards helping digestion in several ways. It's got fennel, which is good for bloating, slippery elm bark, which can be good for cramping, and acidophilus, which can help replenish good gut flora.

I'd suggest you buy this if it's not too expensive and take a look at it. If it's really finely ground, like a powder, it should be safe. If it's a little coarse, that would suggest more insoluble fiber, and I'd be careful with it.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#16119 - 08/03/03 07:48 AM
LindaLouise

Thank you so much for replying so quickly and so fully! I will check out both your and "Teg's" suggestions (and let you know how Fibresmart looks).

Linda

#16120 - 08/03/03 07:51 AM
LindaLouise

Thank you, Teg, for your help! I am new to the board and amazed at how quickly and fully everyone responds! I'll check out the brands at the health stores, especially the Fiberiffic.

Linda

#16204 - 08/04/03 12:11 PM
kenneth

Reged: 05/05/03
Loc: Toronto Canada

Hi there,
I've taken FiberSmart in the past and I think its a pretty good product. However i switched from metamucil to fibersmart and the change wasn't great for my C.... The powder is very finely ground and I could tolerate it easily.. the taste was a different matter. Both swallowing it and tasting it reminded me of mouthfuls of dirt
ken

#21289 - 09/20/03 05:57 AM
MishyMee

Reged: 09/16/03

Hi Linda,
I'm chronic C and in search of a Fiber Supplement, but can't use Metamucil, and after ordering Citrucel over the net, came across FiberSMART in T.O. Canada
Have you (or anybody!) had a chance to try this yet? Have you tried/seen the "CleanseSMART" and "OilSMART" too? I guess I could just use some advice on whether I should wait for the Citrucel to arrive, or buy the FiberSMART now and try it first. I'm currently trying "ChicoLin" powder to tide me over - it's only been a day though, so I don't know how it works yet.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 240 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3015

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review