All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS and Ovaries
      #15638 - 07/30/03 12:52 PM
Judithg

Reged: 07/14/03
Loc: California

I seem to have read on the BB and in some articles that problems with uterus and ovaries can mimic or exacerbate IBS symptoms. How so? Can you experience similar types of pain? diarrhea? bloating and gas? My OB-GYN wants me to have an ultrasound this week to rule out any potential problems since my IBS symptoms have gotten so much worse recently.
Thanks--Judithg

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS and Ovaries new
      #15647 - 07/30/03 01:19 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - endometriosis and ovarian cancer can mimic IBS cramps, diarrhea, and bloating. Those are the two biggies...

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#15690 - 07/30/03 05:07 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Judith,
You may have read this in some of my posts. I am now in the process of ruling out gynological causes for my worsened IBS over the last year. I think that is the cause for concern in my case - my IBS is drastically worse than it ever was before, a noticeable change, and GI tests haven't pinpointed any real reason why. Plus the GI's abdominal CT scan showed abnormalities around my ovaries, so now we have to do exploratory surgery. I'm not looking forward to it but I'm learning that the 2 systems can be "connected" at least in the way they make you feel. Hope this helps! Don't mean to scare anyone because for most of us here it's "just IBS" and it probably will be for me, too, that's our prayer anyway!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#15692 - 07/30/03 05:19 PM
Judithg

Sorry you're going through this and hope the docs can figure it out fast! Since I've had IBS for quite some time, and it's also gotten worse, I figure it's good to check this stuff out. I wasn't aware of the cross-over in symptoms.

#15693 - 07/30/03 05:21 PM
Judithg

I'm surprised that, when IBS symptoms appear or worsen, the doctors aren't more interested in checking these possibilities out! Good to know about. Thanks!!

#16074 - 08/02/03 04:23 PM
KaybeeC

Reged: 03/14/03
Loc: Ohio

Hi, Judith -

Heather's response about endo & ovarian cancer is on target and is an excellent reason for having the ultrasound. As one who has been through numerous ultrasounds over the years - long before I knew about IBS - I can tell you that it is a relatively comfortable procedure. Do you know if your doctor is ordering the "inside" look as well as the "top of the tummy"? Some docs only do the imaging from the outside, around the abdomen. However, a transvaginal ultrasound, where a lubricated probe is inserted, gives the doc the closest look s/he can get of the ovaries without doing surgery. For years, I had ovarian cysts and my gyn did at least one transvag ultrasound a year. This year, he relocated and when it was time for my checkup, I just ordered this test myself "to be on the safe side" (my insurance allows this). Well - turns out my uterus was way too thick, which led to an in-office biopsy of endometrial tissue, which came back "atypical hyperplasia" - and I had a hysterectomy in June since the condition would progress to cancer for sure if left untreated - and, the post-op biopsy revealed that I did, indeed, have stage 1, grade 1 endometrial cancer. What a shock! But what a blessing! I don't need any further treatment - the surgery got it all - and it's all thanks to a little test that took about 30 minutes and was just a little bit yucky! So, I guess I'm just trying to encourage you that this is a great idea, very wise of your doctor, in my opinion. Your test results will probably be normal - but it couldn't hurt!

Blessings,
Kaybee C

#16249 - 08/04/03 07:47 PM
nicolebee

Reged: 07/13/03
Loc: South Carolina, US

I have a ovary/IBS related story and thought I'd share it.

I was "officially" diagnosed with IBS-C this past March, but I've deal with it for about 12 years. What led to the diagnosis was that I was also having pain in my left side ovary/uterus area, along with constipation, bloating, and all the other lovely IBS syptoms. I went to my OBGyn first and had blood tests and a transvaginal ultrasound (the up-close and personal inside view w/ a probe). For me this procedure was quite painful because it ended up I did have an infection in my ovary/uterus (not an STD), which were quite swolen. So, I was on antibiotics for a while which fixed that problem, but I was still having the IBS symptoms. My OBGyn then sent me to a Gastro Dr and I had a colonoscopy and that came up normal, so I have IBS.

I never thought about whether the ovary infection and IBS were somehow related at that point. I just thought I had two flare ups of different things at the same time. I am not at any greater risk of cancer because of it and I don't have endometriosis.

I would say having the tests done is a very good idea, in efforts to rule out anything and peace of mind. I did say my ultrasound hurt, and I was thankful when it was over, but I'm glad I had it. Had I not, the infection would have gotten worse and who knows what I'd be dealing with. They were also able to look for other stuff in there too, like endometriosis and such.

--------------------
Nicole
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 609 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 748

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review