All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Are some people unable to tolerate fiber supplements?
      #15635 - 07/30/03 12:47 PM
Judithg

Reged: 07/14/03
Loc: California

I've been off supplements for almost a week, and I feel a little better. I still have a lot of gut pain, but I'm more functional than I was. And I'm quite regular at this point (usually on the C side). So is it possible to just do the diet and get sufficient benefit? I feel I'm eating very healthily and safe at the moment. Of course, there is still that pain.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Are some people unable to tolerate fiber supplements? new
      #15641 - 07/30/03 12:57 PM
Georgia

Reged: 07/06/03
Loc: Granite City, IL

Hi Judith - I can only speak from my experience, but the additional fiber supplement alone made all the difference in the way I felt. I started it when I was at my worst and swear by it. I'm more IBS-C, too, and it's amazing the difference it makes. Even when I'm having a bout of diarrhea, I'll take 1 additional caplet and it helps alot. Good luck.

#15642 - 07/30/03 01:04 PM
Judithg

Georgia--Thanks!! How long did it take you to get used to the additional fiber? I started with a tiny dose, and it still really has messed me up. I've had a lot of D, which is so unusual for me, and the stomach pains and bloating have been nearly unbearable at times. With C, I don't ever get that much pain and discomfort. Interested in hearing what's worked for you and others.
Thanks--Judithg

#15646 - 07/30/03 01:18 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Some people do find that they just don't tolerate them, and they can get the soluble fiber basis they need from foods alone.

Other than starting with a small dose, try a wide variety of brands - Benefiber, Equalactin, FiberChoice, Citrucel - and try powders and pills. Sometimes this makes a big difference.

I find peppermint tea the best thing for pain.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#15671 - 07/30/03 02:28 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I think you said you are gluten intolerant, is that right? The only supplement I know of that is for sure gluten fre is benefiber. Be careful! Post on celiac.com and delphiumforums.com to find out what supplements are GF...you can also do a searh on celiac.com.

I had a VERY hard time with supplements...I haven't been on one in a LONG time (sorry Heather, but it's true). I would also like help in this area! Is this a celiac realted problem...?

Good luck!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#15677 - 07/30/03 03:07 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

Hi; YES, I find I do much better without supplements as well. I would rather eat the breads and such than rely on pills. You can choose supple, foods, and/or both depending on your system.

#15678 - 07/30/03 03:09 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

Hi ruchie; i DON'T HAVE celiacs but I can't tolerate suuple. either, I have them on occasion only now.

#15696 - 07/30/03 05:31 PM
Judithg

Ruchie--Are you celiac or just gluten intolerant? Could make a difference in how you tolerate supplements, I would think. Good to know about Benefiber--as far as I can tell it may be the only one that's for sure gluten free. Although my homeopathic doc told me a few years ago about a psyllium fiber supplement that is gluten free--but I can't take psyllium at all!

#15697 - 07/30/03 05:32 PM
Judithg

Heather--Does it make sense to get stabilized and then try experimenting with the supplements?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4183 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1199

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review