All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Rx: HYOSCYAMINE FOR CRAMPS/DIARRHEA
      #1560 - 02/27/03 11:15 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Hi - Just talked to my neighbor/friend Rita who gets severe cramps and diarrhea. He doc gave her prescription for Hyoscyamine that you put under your tongue when you have cramps and/or diarrhea. Has anyone heard of it or taking it?
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Rx: HYOSCYAMINE FOR CRAMPS/DIARRHEA new
      #1569 - 02/27/03 12:00 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Sounds like a generic anti-spasmodic. Things like Levsin, Nulev, Donnatol. Hyoscyamine is one of the most common anti-spasmodics. It's been around a long, long time. Some folks find it pretty effective, some folks find it negligible. The side effects tend to be dry mouth and eyes and sleepiness.

Good thing is this is a take-as-you-need-it drug, and not something that requires daily maintenance (as opposed to the new drugs Lotronex and Zelnorm, or anti-depressants).

I have Donnatol, and find it helpful if I'm really under a lot of stress. I'll take a pill before a meal. It does help. It won't overcome something like a huge trigger food meal, and it won't stop an attack once it's hit me. But I think it's better than nothing.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#1582 - 02/27/03 01:45 PM
MaryKay

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Colorado, USA

Heather is right, it is a generic form of Levsin. I use it when I'm really having a hard time with diarrhea, I use one or two before a meal. When I first had it prescribed, I used it every day a couple times a day for a while, until diet and everything else helped to stabilize me, now I only need it occasionally, but it works well for me. It does cause dry mouth though.

Mary Kay

#1623 - 02/28/03 07:14 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I take the same drug as needed only along with Librax if I am really having a bad attack. I tried to avoid the drug due to side affects. It dries my throat and mouth along with blurry vision and I get very sleepy.
When my Gastro. perscribed both drugs I was taking Celexa and Nexium and between my Gastro. and Pharmacists niether one told me these drugs would counteract each other. My husband was out of town for the weekend and my three boys (ages ranging between 5-8) were outside playing unattending for an hour while I fell asleep on the couch. I called my Pharmacist and told him how I was feeling and he told me stop taking the Hyoscyamine and Librax and call my Doctor.
I saw my Internist the next day and he couldn't understand why my Gastro. put me on all this medicaton with weighing only 107lbs.(which I do weigh more now).
Please make sure Sharon if your neighbor is taking an antidepressant it isn't counteracting with the Hyoscyamine.
Barbara S.

#1628 - 02/28/03 08:44 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

BarbaraS - thanks for the warning. I just called her and read your message because she takes anti-D's. She weighs a bit more than 107, tho and she's about 5'9".
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1797 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2077

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review