All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Fiber Variety? Bannanas? Triggers?
      #15455 - 07/29/03 03:20 PM
rlan

Reged: 06/05/03

Ok, I have noticed some people say that they switch around with their fiber supp. and that helps. Lately I've been trying to stick with the lower carb foods like rice and oatmeal. Do you think that you need variety and that your body doesn't push if you give it the same source of fiber? I eat oatmeal every morning sometimes for dinner if I don't feel right and am already bloated. Is this a problem? Any ideas?

Also many of you said bananas gave you attacks. I eat a ton of them in my oatmeal, protein shakes, alone etc. If you don't mind, what are they doing to you.

Do you nec. no which foods bothered you. For ex. if i start to get bad at 4 is that the foods I just ate or could it be from the morning even if I had a BM afterwards? Lots of questions, like usual!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Fiber Variety? Bannanas? Triggers? new
      #15475 - 07/29/03 05:50 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Good question about how you know what has bothered you. If I have a bad day (with C and bloating), I wonder if it was something I ate the night before, at lunch, at breakfast. How do you know????

#15484 - 07/29/03 08:48 PM
Kris

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: Vancouver Island, BC

Hi
I have been eating bananas and oatmeal porridge every morning for months, and have had success with this as a good fibre source to start the day. However, the gas and bloating got out of control, and my gastro said it would take my body 2 years to get used to a high fibre diet. Ack! So I did some research, and read that combining fruit with complex carbohydrates in the same meal can cause excess gas. So in the past few weeks, I have only had plain oatmeal porridge in the morning, with brown sugar, rice milk, sometimes flax meal or whole flax, and sometimes with a few raisins if I feel adventurous. I now eat fruit later in the day, peaches are the choice one right now, in season and all. I have found that this has helped to reduce my gas and bloating, so am thankful for that. I have found it has helped reduce the painful nature of my intestinal gas, which makes life easier. I've reduced my banana consumption for the time being to one or two per week. In the meantime, beans and soy products still plague me with gas, but the Beano supplement helps me digest these gassy foods. Meanwhile, I drink peppermint tea to reduce gas, ward off attacks, and to calm things. I also eat the Altoid peppermints daily. Fennel tea has also helped a lot.

As for the time of day when I get an attack, I find that sometime within 24 hours of the offending food is when I will have an attack. For example, I could get sick right away like within an hour of eating something fatty or wholewheat. Or like the other day, I had one slice of pizza at nite, and didn't get sick until the next night, after a very healthy day. I find that drinking peppermint tea during an attack, or chewing on the Altoids, helps slow things down and prevent the attack from lasting too long. If I am travelling, then I find attacks last longer, and I have to eat really simply and get lots of rest and exercise.

If I have an attack, then yes I also have a simple dinner, usually brown rice, vegetarian sushi, or cheerios (made with oat flour).

Take Care,
KRis

--------------------
Be the change you want to see in the world.

Re: Oatmeal, porridge and cream of wheat new
      #15488 - 07/29/03 09:29 PM
Josie

Reged: 03/28/03
Loc: Boston

Ok, I know what oatmeal is (love it) and know what Cream of Wheat is (not a big fan) but what is porridge? All I know is that is what Goldilocks ate when in the Three Bears house . Is it similar to oatmeal, or just the Canadian term for oatmeal? Thanks!

--------------------
Be not afraid of going slowly; be afraid only of standing still. -- Chinese proverb

#15533 - 07/30/03 07:46 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Welcome to the board! I have seen a lot of people with a sensitivity to bananas here. That may be the culprit. For some reason, I can't tolerate oatmeal. It bloats me like crazy - so there are some of us that are sensitive to oatmeal, too. Why not try a different breakfast for a few days an see if there's a difference? Ie - toast and a wee bit of PB, Rice crispies with soy or rice milk, .... Good luck!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#15632 - 07/30/03 12:37 PM
Judithg

Reged: 07/14/03
Loc: California

Whoa! 2 years to get used to adding fiber? I started gradually adding more fiber in a couple of months ago, which may have triggered my latest attack. I figured I'd get used to it over time. But I've been a mess for weeks. Is this really true? 2 years? Aaagh!

#15651 - 07/30/03 01:24 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I haven't ever heard the two year figure before. That sounds really extreme to me. In general, people adjust to a gradual increase in fiber over a few weeks (sometimes just days, and sometimes it takes a month or two). I'd be really curious where the 2 year number came from.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#15698 - 07/30/03 05:34 PM
Judithg

Reged: 07/14/03
Loc: California

That sounds much better to me--I can tolerate a few weeks!

Hopefully Not 2 Years!!! new
      #15702 - 07/30/03 06:03 PM
Kris

Wow, I hope so Heather! I was quite disturbed to hear that it would take my body two years to get used to high-fibre to the point I would not have any gas, bloating, or pain anymore! It has been six months so far, and I am still not totally used to fibre, beans, soy, but am finding many ways to cope in the meantime...teas, beano, exercise, food combining, etc...and am looking for alternative healing methods for strengthening my digestive organs, liver, pancreas, gallbladder, etc, so that they can function better and thoroughly digest foods early on in the process. A TCM Chinese Medicine Doctor has helped me, and I am considering going for a homeopathy appointment when I can afford it.

In the meantime, I will remain hopeful that 2 years is simply another deluded piece of advice from my gastro, for he also scoffed at my insistence that fat is a trigger for IBS, he agreed that deep fried food was a no-no, but didn't see a problem for me with other fat-containing meal ideas.

Thanks again for your hopeful advice!
Kris

--------------------

Porridge vs. Oatmeal new
      #15703 - 07/30/03 06:06 PM
Kris

Hi
Yes Porridge is the same thing as Oatmeal. Just good ol' oatmeal flakes and water, boil, and voila! I use the large flake organic variety for extra fibre...Perhaps the word dates back to England? I am not sure...
Kris

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1803 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2077

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review