All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How to Get Calcium in My Diet
      #15396 - 07/29/03 12:21 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

If I'm eating NO dairy products and I can't take calcium tablets because they worsen my IBS-C problem, then how in the heck am I supposed to get calcium in my diet?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How to Get Calcium in My Diet new
      #15399 - 07/29/03 12:26 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I take mine with magnesium, that is supposed to lessen the problem of C. I'm no expert on the details of all this, but I take a cal-mag combo I found at GNC, 3x a day with food. HTH!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#15425 - 07/29/03 01:02 PM
BL

And it doesn't make your constipation worse? I took the calcium chewables last year for a short time and it gave me horrible C. I'm wondering if this is not how all this started. I am terrified of taking any calcium products now. The magnesium is supposed to lessen the C effects? I'm so miserable today that I'm ready to try something that will give me D. How come they have all these products to help with D (Immodium, Pepto Bismol, etc.), but none that safely help with C?

#15427 - 07/29/03 01:08 PM
kenneth

Reged: 05/05/03
Loc: Toronto Canada

Thats why you take the calcium with magnesium. It counteracts the constipation affect of calcium. Magnesium is a laxative, hence "Milk of magnesia" !

#15429 - 07/29/03 01:09 PM
BL

Oh, I get it. I'm a little slow. Never thought of that! Thanks.

#15457 - 07/29/03 03:58 PM
artist

Reged: 05/28/03

I also take a calcium/magnesium supplement that is equal parts of each. The magnesium actually seems to help with the C. Give it a try. artist

#15458 - 07/29/03 04:05 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Soy, almonds, beans, and leafy greens are great sources of calcium. There's actually a lot of very interesting research showing that dairy is not a good source of calcium at all, because of the effects dairy proteins have. When you eat dairy your body actually suffers a net calcium LOSS, because more calcium is being leached from your bones to counter the acidic effects of the dairy protein amino acids, than you're actually ingesting from the dairy itself. The Harvard Nurse's study (ongoing, with 80,000 women) just confirmed that the higher a woman's dairy intake, the greater her risk of bone breaks and fractures as she ages. The countries with the highest dairy intakes in the world (and the US is one of them) have the highest osteoporosis rates - the countries with little to zero dairy intake also have little osteoporosis.

For really great info and clinical research studies on this whole topic, check the Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine, at web page and web page

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5931 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 950

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review