All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Berries
      #15234 - 07/28/03 01:47 PM
Corinne

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

I've looked through some of the other posts but no one mentioned much other than strawberries. I am wondering how safe raspberries and saskatoons are. I love them so much and usually make either crisp, pie or muffins with them. Am I going to get into trouble with this?

--------------------
If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Berries new
      #15374 - 07/29/03 09:43 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - the seeds in berries are insoluble fiber, and thus a trigger. You should be okay if you use a small amount with a soluble fiber base, so low fat baking is a great option here. Or, blend the berries up until very smooth for a drink or for making soy ice cream.

And what the heck are saskatoons?

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#15386 - 07/29/03 11:20 AM
Lorna

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I had to reply - couldn't resist. Saskatoons bring me back to my childhood. They are like large blueberries. They grow around Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. I lived in Saskatoon when I was 6 - 11 years old. My mom used to make me, my sister and my brother go out and pick Saskatoonberries for Saskatoonberry Pie, jam, etc.

I live right next door to Saskatchewan now and I never hear of Saskatoonberries anymore.

--------------------
Lorna

#15529 - 07/30/03 07:36 AM
Corinne

Saskatoons are the most amazing berry! I love them. We lived in Saskatoon for almost two years but I can get them anywhere here. If any of you EVER get up to Saskatchewan you MUST try them. There are seeds in them so that's a bit of a problem but buy some and cook them and puree them for a sauce over ice cream. I used to eat these soooo much. My husband loves Saskatoon pie and this weekend we're having friends over for a Saskatoon crumble.

Yes, they are like blueberries only much yummier and sweeter.

Heather, if you can hop across to Vancouver and buy some Saskatoon syrup or jam or jelly. You can usually get it in places like airport gift shops. Here in Sask. I can also get a Saskatoon "wine". It's actually just the juice bottled like wine. Yummy! A great alternative when I was pregnant.

--------------------

#15559 - 07/30/03 10:10 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Okay, next time I'm up in Vancouver (which will hopefully be quite soon - I really love it there) I'll get something saskatoon!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#15613 - 07/30/03 12:01 PM
Corinne

There should be lots of stuff like I said at the airport or some of those touristy gift shops. They give you an idea of the taste but nothing is like fresh Saskatoon pie! Mmmm. I'm hungry just thinking of it. Let me know what you think! And while you're there try some of our home grown Canadian Maple sugar or syrup. Very yummy. And should be safe too although I would check out the sugar candies as they may have milk in them.

I suppose though the berries aren't a good thing are they? If they are like blueberries they would be better pureed in a smoothie or something like that.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 862 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 896

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review