All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Flax
      #15172 - 07/28/03 07:48 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Hi everyone, I know there have been post on flax but I'm still a little comfused. I looked at Whole Foods and couldn't find it. People talk about drizzling the oil on oatmeal, I looked with the oils and couldn't find it? How does it come, oil, powder, etc and what area in the store will I find it??? I looked forever the other day and couldn't find it? Thanks!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Flax new
      #15175 - 07/28/03 07:57 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

Flax comes in oil form and capsule form as well as seeds. I find mine in the refrigerated section at a Natural Foods store.

I just took the oil like cough syrup. I don't much like the taste, so I wash it down with cranberry juice. I've never tried the seeds (ask the help at your Whole Foods store, they are usually very helpful), but my bf's mom uses them and raves about them.

HTH!

~jules

--------------------
~jules

#15181 - 07/28/03 08:27 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

Jules is right, they do come in several forms. I use ground flax seeds on my cereal and yogurt everyday. The oil is very good too, but an acquired taste. I use the oil on oatmeal and soup, etc, that way it blends in with things. The oil is a great source of your EFA's as well as the ground seeds. The plus to the ground seeds is it provides beneficial fiber that we need. Just be sure to keep it all refrigerated to avoid rancidity!

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

#15183 - 07/28/03 09:01 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I buy ground flax seed at GNC in the mall, it's in a vacuum packed bag, kind of like coffee comes in. I put two heaping tablespoons in my oatmeal every morning, makes it a little "crunchy" and adds a nutty flavor. Good luck!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#15186 - 07/28/03 09:34 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Thank guys! I'll be stopping tomorrow amd will try some!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#15188 - 07/28/03 09:40 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi Michelle!

I've never bought any, but I just wanted to say if you're ever there and can't find something, just ask at the customer service. I do ALL the time at Whole Foods especially when I first started Eating for IBS, with all the new foreign (to me anyway ) ingredients. They've always been very helpful.

New to the group: new
      #15190 - 07/28/03 09:44 AM
medicineman

Reged: 07/24/03
Loc: Chandler, AZ

Hey all it seems that there is more of the feminine type here. Is it okay for a gentleman that looks like Sean Connery to join in as he is being tested and suffering for about a year now.

Absolutely! new
      #15192 - 07/28/03 09:49 AM
*Melissa*

Welcome to the board!

As you read through everything, post any questions you may have!

Re: Absolutely! new
      #15193 - 07/28/03 09:52 AM
medicineman

Thanks,
pretty well educated on IBS been doing a lot of reading and research. Had a CT (normal) Flexible Spyg (normal) had Liver and Gallbladder Ultrasound (normal) many blood tests all within normal range. Wife does not quite understand how much (FUN) this is so I sought out some people that will understand.

thanks

#15196 - 07/28/03 09:56 AM
Cate712

Reged: 07/18/03
Loc: Missouri

Okay...I'm lost! What's the flax seed for? Is it just for fiber? I'm still trying to get thru "The First Year" but it's hard when the little guys want all my attention! So far I'm doing well with Heather's diet suggestions. Although last night I did a little experimenting with Sprite, pizza (PH-hand tossed with pineapple and ham - see, I'm trying to be good!) and a little ice cream later on. I was bloated!! It was just an experiment so I know where my limits are. No attacks yet However, the day isn't over yet....

#15197 - 07/28/03 09:57 AM
*Melissa*

You will get PLENTY of understanding here! We've all been there.

Thanks new
      #15199 - 07/28/03 10:00 AM
medicineman

Thanks, I am still lerning how to use the post so bear with me while I be come comfortable.

#15200 - 07/28/03 10:02 AM
Cate712

Hi medicineman! I'm still new to the board too and am glad to have found others going thru much of the same things. I've had this for at least 15 yrs and am grateful for Heather's book. My husband does understand which is helpful but his family has taken longer. I've been teased for leaving the dinner table to go to the restroom. I loved the "did you go to throw up?" bit. Frustrating! But all is better now and they are coming around. However, it's not something you like everyone to know about!

#15201 - 07/28/03 10:09 AM
tnchawk

WElcome to the board! Flax is a great source of EFA's ( Essential Fats) and fiber.. ( if you use the ground.) It has been proven to help fight cancer, act as a phytoestrogen ( if you have PMS or Menopause it is a natural remedy) helps fight heart disease, lowers cholesterol, etc., etc. I use it daily and it has been a great help. You can buy the oil refrigerated in many health food stores as well as the seeds, which come ground or natural ( so you grind it yourself.) It is something that EVERYONE should add to their diet, IBS or not. Hope this is helpful!

Christianne

--------------------

#15202 - 07/28/03 10:10 AM
medicineman

Thanks, once again. I have only been battling this for about a year now. Swing from C to D about every two to three days. Haven't had to leave the dinner table yet. Just me and the wife here no relatives close by to worry about. You all seem very nice. I have other symptoms that I try to get across to the GI if I can get his attention.

Re: New to the group: new
      #15204 - 07/28/03 10:47 AM
RLU

Reged: 02/04/03
Loc: Jackson, Mississippi

100% welcome to join us, IBS knows no discrimination. We welcome you and hope things stablize soon!!! have you bought Heather's book yet? It's a life saver!

--------------------
Screen Name: Nan275

Post your photo, Mr. Bond! new
      #15211 - 07/28/03 11:33 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I'd love to see another handsome man on the board! You can post your picture through your profile, or you can email it to me at heatherandcompany@yahoo.com

Welcome!

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Post your photo, Mr. Bond! new
      #15212 - 07/28/03 11:43 AM
medicineman

I will see what I can do. Don't know exactly where my photo is located

Re: Thanks new
      #15218 - 07/28/03 12:52 PM
Corinne

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Looks like you are doing a fine job! Sean Connery eh? My fav. As has been said many times we welcome everyone here! We're all at various stages of health. I'm just starting to get there after six months but still have bad days. There are several of us IBS or Crohn's in my family so they are understanding but some of the others just can't accept it. My husband is VERY good and his parents are trying really hard to cook what I can eat. It's hard on them but they do try. They feel sorry for me that all they can cook for me is chicken. But that's ok. If you haven't done it yet, pick up Heather's book. Check the library if you don't want to go out and buy it right away. It's great!

Later.

--------------------
If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

Re: Thanks Corinne new
      #15226 - 07/28/03 01:23 PM
medicineman

I will have to check into Heather's book. I have another appt with the GI on the 8th of this month. Sometimes I feel it seems worthless to keep going back but one has to do what one has to do.

#15299 - 07/28/03 08:39 PM
Cate712

I bought the flax seed today (unbelievable that I found it in my small town!) and tried it tonight. Interesting. I put it in a smoothie...it wasn't very smooth! I'll get the hang of it. Do the seeds need to be refrigerated or just the oil and ground flax? The store had it in a glass jar on their shelf.

Re: Symptoms new
      #15317 - 07/29/03 01:54 AM
Josie

Reged: 03/28/03
Loc: Boston

You would be amazed at the list of IBS symptoms beyond C and D. Headaches, backaches, heart palps, fatigue, anxiety, the list goes on. I know ShawnEric (moderator for the Hypno board) did a post on this not to long ago. I think it was from a UNC study. You might do a search or ask him about it. Oh, and welcome to your new IBS family!

--------------------
Be not afraid of going slowly; be afraid only of standing still. -- Chinese proverb

Re: Found the link new
      #15319 - 07/29/03 02:25 AM
Josie

Reged: 03/28/03
Loc: Boston

Here is the link to the list that ShawnEric had posted. Not sure if this is info you were looking for, but for me it explained a lot about these symptoms that I was having for what I thought was no apparent reason. Hope it helps!

--------------------
Be not afraid of going slowly; be afraid only of standing still. -- Chinese proverb

#15332 - 07/29/03 05:07 AM
tnchawk

BE sure to refrigerate it. You may need to grind it up first in a coffee mill or food processor. They will not be smooth unless you do. They have a nutty taste as well. Hope this helps you!!
Christianne

--------------------

#15341 - 07/29/03 06:00 AM
medicineman

Thanks, I will check it out.

#15361 - 07/29/03 09:07 AM
CarlaVeg

Reged: 06/19/03

I use the flax oil in my smoothies and you can't tell

Quote:

I bought the flax seed today (unbelievable that I found it in my small town!) and tried it tonight. Interesting. I put it in a smoothie...it wasn't very smooth! I'll get the hang of it. Do the seeds need to be refrigerated or just the oil and ground flax? The store had it in a glass jar on their shelf.

#15388 - 07/29/03 11:24 AM
Lorna

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Wow!! I checked Shawneric's list and it's amazing how many of those symptoms I have. I had no idea they were related to IBS. Now I know why I sometimes get that annoying eye twitch...

Thanks for posting the info. Shawneric!!!

--------------------
Lorna

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2409 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4442

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review