All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Totally lost
      #150604 - 02/15/05 11:05 PM
Adriane

Reged: 12/01/04
Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii

I am totally frustrated! I know that everyone is different and you have to find what works for you but I can't seem to find it. I have read both of Heathers books and have cut out all of the things that I shouldn't be eating. I am losing weight and I attribute most of that to the fact that I don't want to eat much because it always makes me feel bad. I am taking Levsin(lots), Peppermint Caps and Citrucel daily. I normally feel decent until lunchtime and then even if I just eat a sandwich I bloat like no tomorrow. Then throughout the day I get progressively worse. This rules my life. I have horrible stomach cramping, bloating and awful gas. I honestly cannot remember a day in the last year where I didn't have something going on with my stomach. i feel like I am constantly complaining and not doing things because my stomach hurts. I drink peppermint tea and that doesn't help, I have tried the fennel tea too with no avail. i am so lost and my doctor has no more answers for me. If anyone has ANY ideas for me I would totally appreciate it. This has got to stop, I really can't live like this. Thank God for this website, I at least have an outlet to talk like this. Thanks to anyone listening.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Totally lost new
      #150618 - 02/16/05 02:28 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Try a different SFS...everyone reacts differently to them. I love Acacia and have NO bloating or gas from it unlike the one I used to be on.

Do you eat lots of small meals and snack? This could help...if I eat a reasonable size meal on an empty tum, I bloat up too, but if I don't let my tum get so empty I have less trouble.

Also, were you properly diagnosed? Did you have a colonoscopy done? Have you been tested for Coeliac?

#150633 - 02/16/05 04:00 AM
BJake66

Reged: 10/17/04
Loc: PA

Aloha - I agree with what Linz said...what about an antispasmodic also? I am taking bentyl and zelnorm..besides levsin. I will be moving to Honolulu in August..we can support each other. I used to know it was almost 2:00 - everyday my stomach would start about that time? I started doing more excercise throughout the day and not letting my tummy get so empty (so I wouldn't overeat). Are you keeping a food diary? We WILL figure this out!:-)

--------------------
Lisa

IBS-C, pain predominant

#150650 - 02/16/05 05:54 AM
jen828

Reged: 02/15/05

hi, I am SO VERY SORRY for your pain--I had the SAME EXPERIENCES!! I have to food combine..where i do not eat starches and proteins together..and i eat fruit ALONE or 25 minutes before something else. This helped me tremendously.?? Good luck!! JEN

#150656 - 02/16/05 06:07 AM
Pat in RI

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Rhode Island, USA

I am totally new to this myself, but I understand where you're coming from. Over the weekend, I was so depressed, I suggested that my husband send me away somewhere so I wouldn't be such a burden to him!! I don't have any answers for you YET, but I'm not going to give up...I'll keep working at it until something works...and I just want to encourage you to do the same. Hang in there, girl!!

#150679 - 02/16/05 07:16 AM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

I know exactly what you mean - EVERY SINGLE day before dinner time I start to feel gross with bloating, gas, sometimes nausea and just an unsettled stomach then after I eat dinner I either feel the same or worse. I too am still looking for answers but I have found that if I go for a walk in the afternoon that sometimes it can help. Exercise is very good for IBS but at the same time I think it takes my mind off of a lot of it. I obsess all day long over how my stomach feels or is going to feel - it has completley taken over my life! Hang in there and hopefully you figure something out (if you do let me know!)

#151026 - 02/16/05 10:40 PM
Jennifer1946

Reged: 02/13/05
Loc: Karachi - Pakistan

Hi,
I am so sorry that you are losing weight and hving so much problem. I too went through this but had to control my diet by not taking milk and its products, beef, cauliflower, cabbage, spinach, red chillies. Most of the food i cook has very little oil and no chillies at all. From my experience I noticec that if your stomach is empty then the gases form. I also learned that there should be no eating during meals and certainly not before 1 hr. after meals. I have my breakfast at home and come to office by which time more than an hour has passed before I drink black tea. I do this all the time checking the time I finish lunch and dinner and have water later. I bought fennel seeds and roasted them and kept one bottle at home, one in my bag and one in the office. Chew on fennel seeds every hour. Try this it might help.

#151027 - 02/16/05 10:43 PM
Jennifer1946

A correction to be made here. There should be no drinking of water or liquids during meals and 1 hour after meals.

#151062 - 02/17/05 06:22 AM
shandy

Reged: 12/21/04
Loc: Alabama

My guess is that you are eating something you are intolerant to. I had the same symptoms for YEARS - I'd feel fine til lunch and then it was all downhill. I had to schedule anything important in the mornings because I was so sick in the afternoons. Turned out it was it was the soy protein bars I was eating and I've since discovered I can't touch soy product - this discovery changed my life.

Try completely changing what you have for breakfast and lunch to something totally safe (for you) and see if it helps.

Jen

--------------------
Jennifer
42 years old
Neither D nor C - just sluggish

Re: Totally lost (Long post) new
      #151306 - 02/17/05 12:23 PM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

Wow- what an amazing post- When I read it I thought I was reading something I wrote.
You sound like you are going through exactly what I go through every day- except my cramps start after breakfast and last until bedtime.
I am 5'6" and weigh 109 pounds. (that doesn't make me happy) 3 weeks ago I weighed 119 pounds. But then I had a bout of D, which is something totally new to me- (They diagnosed me as C, although if I eat properly and take my Citrucel I would have a BM faithfully every day) (BUT STILL HAD CRAMPS ALLLLL DAY). It doesn't matter if I have 1 BM or 4, I still have cramps All day. I was prescribed the antispasmodic (hysocyamine)(nulev, levsin,levbid) all the same. Well the .0125mg didn't touch the "pain", the .375 took the "edge" off but to make the pain really be gone- NEED 2 pills which would knock me out- then after 3 days of taking the antispasmodics I got constipated, and couldn't urinate very well. Oh and had extrememly blurry vision, so that ended that. I had to take laxatives for 4 days to have a decent bm and I don't want to get into that habit either. I am on my 15th day of taking 50mg of Zoloft(SSRI), I really don't feel anything from it yet though. I don't know if my story has helped at all but if it did then that makes me happy. Please feel free to write if theres anything else you want to ask me about.

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

Re: Totally lost (long reply) new
      #151323 - 02/17/05 01:25 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I'm sorry you're suffering so much! In the past ten years, I've had two times where I was in so much pain and discomfort, becoming obsessed with what I ate and afraid to leave the house, that I thought, "Is this my life from now on?" I worried what people thought of me, I cried about what I was missing out on as a young woman. But there's hope! I know you've heard it before, but it does take time and experimenting with different foods and meds. Everyday you just have to grasp onto something good, even if it seems insignificant.

One thing you might ask your doctor is if you could have a parasite; sometimes they get missed in a stool sample or are in your small intestine (I don't think a colonoscopy would detect this then), like giardia, and they could be causing you to lose weight, the nausea, etc. You might have another stool sample done or talk to your doctor about whether there was a possibility you were exposed.

Something that might encourage your body to "normalize" is to eat at the same time everyday. For a year, I experimented with food and meds. The meds I was on, antidepressant + antispasmodic + antidiarrheal, just seemed to make me feel worse. I'd go from D to seriously C for a couple of weeks and then back to horrible, burning D. I decided to quit the antidepressant, since I wasn't feeling better anyway, and started using the antispasmodic and antidiarrheal only as needed. This was a personal choice, you should always talk to your doctor before changing or stopping meds.

But it wasn't until I started eating on a schedule, following the IBS diet, that good changes started happening. I ate breakfast, lunch, and dinner and snacks around the same time everyday. I didn't eat after 7 pm or have drinks with meals. I also took a fiber supplement (about twice a day between meals) and peppermint or chamomile tea with a couple of drops of anise oil after meals (for gas or colic and cramps). What this did was regulate my bm's, so even though they were still painful and loose, at least I knew when they were coming. I also made sure to get plenty of sleep or at least be in bed early, relaxing and reading or watching TV. And light yoga or walking, as the others mentioned, is great for stress relief. I think just getting outside makes you feel a little better. After a while (about three months), I stopped having the diarrhea and when I did it was when I strayed from the schedule/diet or due to an increase in stress.

I still have times when I'm not doing so well. I was really sick this past fall and, lately, I've been dealing with anxiety, which is why I finally joined this board after reading it for months. It's good to have people you can talk to, who understand, and who aren't grossed out by stool talk.

Totally with you new
      #151342 - 02/17/05 02:19 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

You sound as frustrated and controlled by your symptoms as I feel. Yes, I cannot remember a day in years when I wasn't focused on some sort of GI symptom: gas, bloat, cramps, pain, constipation, or even diarrhea. My life is ruled and dictated by my GI pain and symptoms. I do not go out because I'm usually at home with a heating pad on my tummy in my PJ's. I feel like my life is going by and I just want to cry, and often do, because I have no life! My friends have disappeared. I can't sit through a movie, I can't go to restaurant, or family barbecues and parties because I never know how my bowels are going to behave. Or, because I just feel so crappy I don't feel like being out and hurting. I hate this life.

Like you, I feel like I am doing everything I should be doing to feel better. I followed the diet, never ever cheating, I took the SFS, yet no relief at all from the pain and the constipation seems worse.

I also get worse as the day goes on. I try to eat lunch as late as possible at work, because I know the symptoms will be getting worse and this way, the time before I go home is shorter. I tried eating a little throughout the day, but I am not allowed to snack at my desk, so I can only have breakfast, lunch, snack, and dinner.

The bloating, gas, pain are outrageous. I would suggest stopping the peppermint tea and capsules for a few days or a week, as I find that increases my pain! Some people can't handle mints. I don't know if the fennel is doing anything for me, but I drink it just in case it is. Heather says that it "untraps" the gas. So while you may be passing more gas while drinking it, at least the gas isn't trapped causing more pain. Like I said, I still don't know if it helps me, but I figure it isn't hurting.

Unfortunately, this may not stop and we may have to live like this forever. I know you may not like hearing that, but for some of us, I think maybe we never can be as stable as others. We are doing the same thing as them, so it might be our bodies are going to just be like this. It depresses the heck out of me. It scares me and oftem makes me cry.

I'm sure I haven't lifted your spirits any. I am just being honest about my own thoughts on my situation. You may find that another SFS works for you better than the citrucel. Have you tried any others? A lot of people have found that they must keeping trying different SFS until they find one their body likes. Some find that not taking an SFS is best for them. Some, like me, have tried 6 different SFS and find no relief yet from any of them. I think the only one I haven't tried is acacia and metamucil and Konysol. (the latter two are known to increase bloat and gas, so that scares me off of them). But others have reported that psyllium in those two products is the only thing that pushes the BM out.

Also, the Levsin may be constipating you most likely, especially if you are taking a lot, because it slows down the gut. Many IBS-C folks steer clear of anti-spasmodics because of that reason despite having pain.

Have you thought about an anti-depressant? You sound very depressed, and who wouldn't be. There are a lot of us on AD's! Just make sure you don't get one that increases the C!

GL and keep posting. I'm right here with you!
Oh, I've tried zelnorm but didn't get much relief so I stopped that. But it might be an option for you?

Also, many people take 2 to 4 stool softeners every day (colace, for example) and say it helps keep the stool soft and easier to go. My doc says it won't help produce a BM, but it will keep things soft so the BM passes more smoothly.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#155093 - 02/28/05 09:26 PM
Jennifer1946

Hi Adriane,
I used to be like you then after reading so much on IBS I learned that one should not drink water immediately after a meal. Wait for an hour then drink water, avoid soft drinks, eat slowly and keep away from chillies for at least a month. Try eating little at a time and drink plenty of water. Have your fruit before your meals. I bought a whol lot of fennel seeds roasted this and I chew this many times a day. Hope you feel better after this.

#155168 - 03/01/05 05:55 AM
JaneC

Reged: 02/20/05

I know how you feel too. I've suffered on and off my whole life from stomach cramps, but in the last couple of years it has become pretty much a constant. I'm not a very ladylike girl, but I still feel like it's one thing for my dad to be farty, and another for me to- it's so embarrassing and vile

I've been trying what felt like everything, and not managing to get stablized. But last week I ate nothing but rice with banana, and a little unsweetened soy milk, in tiny portions eating every two hours and my tummy completely settled down. I cannot describe how wonderful it was to not be bloated up and uncomfortable. Seriously, seriously wonderful.

I have also started making sure to be active after every meal, not drinking at all during meals and chewing everything very thoroughly- I reckon all these things help (apologise if you're already doing them). Can you try splitting your sandwich in half and eating half of it at lunch and half later? I am going to do that myself to see if it helps.

Of course today I am back to having hideous cramps, but they are period cramps, not IBS ones, so hopefully this will pass.

I know the feeling of utter despair and not being able to go on because of this.

--------------------
"This is truly the age of bacteria: as it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be."

Maria! Maria! new
      #155230 - 03/01/05 08:27 AM
Augie

Can I ask which AD you stopped? And which SFS are you currently taking that is helping you? And how much?

It sounds like you are primarily a D?

Thanks for your input.

--------------------
~ Beth

Fruit before meal? new
      #155233 - 03/01/05 08:30 AM
Augie

Heather says to eat fruit at the end of a meal. That this is the safest way to incorporate fruit into diets.

You have better luck eating them alone, without a SF to help cusion the tummy?

--------------------
~ Beth

Okay, another post on eating fruit alone new
      #155241 - 03/01/05 08:39 AM
Augie

I'm confused. I know Heather recommends eating fruit at the end of a meal that has SF as a base.

How can you eat it alone? And does the eating no starch with protein really help you? Again, I didn't think Heather's diet was about food combining. In her book her sample menus at the end of Eating for IBS always combine a starch and a protein together, along with a veggie or a fruit.

--------------------
~ Beth

Desipramine, Imipramine = bad times for me (long reply) new
      #155326 - 03/01/05 11:21 AM
lalala

Hello! Yes, I'm primarily D and it usually hits me when I'm really anxious or stressed. I just start Buspar (anti-anxiety) on Sunday, but it takes two weeks to work. Unfortunately, yesterday I had a crazy anxiety attack that lasted 6 hours, my doc told me to go to ER. Got some Lorazapam until the Buspar starts kicking in. Sigh. Sorry for the digression...

When I took AD (9 years ago) my doctor at the university put me on:
1. desiprimine, very low dose, I think it was 25mg a day; later I switched to imiprimine
2. donnatal (before meals)
3. lomotil (as needed)
4. peptobismol for nausea
5. Tagamet for heartburn
6. 4 pills of ibuprofen every 4-6 hours during my period
But I was never told to change my diet! And as someone with IBS I shouldn't have been told to take so much ibuprofen! And you're not supposed to mix desipramine with donnatol: severe sedative effects. As a result, I remember very little from this time--I slept a lot and or I was on the toilet. So I became very constipated and bloated and only had a bm every two weeks which would end up being severe D. It was as though my colon had just become a big holding tank and wasn't doing it's job. I still get emotional thinking about this time-period. I got really depressed--I have no idea how I made it, other than just letting myself get angry, stubborn, and using the university research library to find more out about gastrointestinal disorders. (Oh, and my dr didn't want me to see a GI!)

Side effects from the desipramine and imipramine were bizarre: my jaw would lock whenever I yawned (how freaky is it to be unable of closing your mouth), when I had to urinate I couldn't (I'd have to sit on the toilet for half an hour waiting to pee even though I FELT THE NEED!), I would sleep for 16 hrs at a time (this might be because I took it in combo with Donnatol).

After 6-months of dealing with the side-effects of the meds, I just stopped taking the AD and donnatol (which never helped with the cramps anyway). I dumped all the pills into trash and switched from Lomotil to the much gentler Immodium. I started drinking peppermint tea with anise essence drops. I also went on the pill which helped with the D attacks I got before and during menstruation. I went on Metamucil (following dosage procedures on packaging), started to eat more well-rounded, fat-free, fiber-rich meals, and continued this throughout college. Over time my D attacks only ocurred every six months, during a particulary stressful period or after eating something I shouldn't (my weakness--Hershey's Milk Chocholate Almond Bar).

Currently, I'm managing the IBS with Heather's Diet (I wish I had know about this in college! And people like you to talk to--I had a friend who continously teased me about having a parasite) and Benefiber, which I like a lot better than Metamucil. No gas, no weird taste. I started slowly 1/4 tsp in the morning, then after a week or two, upped it to 1/4 tsp twice a day. This seems to be helping. Right now I have this debilitating anxiety, which I know is playing a role in why my digestive system seems to be acting up again.

Sorry to go on and on. I have a tendency to talk to much, but I hope this helps. Please feel free to ask me any questions.

Edited by Maria!Maria! (04/06/08 08:35 PM)

Thanks new
      #155333 - 03/01/05 11:33 AM
Augie

I have also tried both those drugs and hated them both. I do take Donnatol at night only like once a month. I don't like anti-spasmodic side effects, but I like Donnatol at night. Plus, I am (BS-C, so these drugs made no sense for me as they make constipation worse.

I couldn't handle benefiber and I am thinking of stopping or replacing my citrucel.

Can I ask where you get your anise oil? Does it contain grain alcohol or is it pure anise?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: If no improvement..... new
      #155338 - 03/01/05 11:46 AM
Carol H

Reged: 02/28/05

I just started the IBS diet about a week ago, but I have done a lot of reading about all sorts of intestinal problems through the years. I'm trying the IBS diet out of desperation, because I just can't go on with my symptoms the way things have been lately. But, if it doesn't help significantly in a reasonable amount of time, I will look for other answers. I believe this is Heather's advice on the site too.

In response to the posts of people who have done everything right on the diet, but aren't getting any better, you probably have IBS, but there may be another problem too. IBS is sometimes caused by other conditions, in fact. (For instance, candida overgrowth, severe dysbiosis, or SIBO.) SIBO is a condition where bacteria from the colon has migrated to the small intestine, where it's not supposed to be. It's often caused by carbs fermenting in the small intestine from slow motility. SIBO can cause IBS and always causes a lot of gas, as usually does candida overgrowth.

Unfortunately, the foods that are stressed on the IBS diet, are also the foods that feed candida, bacteria and parasites in the intestines.

I hesitated to post this, because it's not 100% pro IBS diet, but I really feel that, at a certain point, if the diet is not working, other options should be considered.

So far, for me, I suspect this diet is going to help, (it's early, but I think things are calming down), but if it doesn't, I will try some other things. Or, I may take natural antifungals and extra probiotics with the diet, because I've had candida overgrowth in the past, so it could be a possibility again. I just think there have to be answers, and if something isn't working, other things should be tried.
Carol

anise w/ tea ,chamomile? new
      #155343 - 03/01/05 11:49 AM
lalala

If those drugs made someone with daily D like myself constipated, I can't imagine what they would do to someone who is IBS-C!

I got the anise oil at a health food store in Spain, back when I was in college. I'm not sure if it was pure or not. I recentty saw some at the health food aisle in a Fred Meyer's, but you might check with a local health food store. It really helped with the gas/colic, those bad crampy feelings you can get after eating--just a few drops into a hot cup of ginger or peppermint tea or other digestive tea blend (at the health food store in Spain they prepared a mix of ginger, chamomile, peppermint and some other herbs).

Have you tried chamomile? I know it's sort of like a muscle relaxant, but I can't drink it because everytime I do I have to urinate multiple times or have a bm. When I was younger my parents would give me this whenever I had a stomach-ache or cramps and it would just make me go. So, maybe it would help with C?

Re: Fruit before meal? new
      #155354 - 03/01/05 12:05 PM

Reged: 01/05/05

In the morning I have been eating a dish of low fat fruit cocktail to get my fruit in - I am afraid of eating apples and bananas can make me even more gassy - do not definitely need that. What fruits are you talking about???

Re: Desipramine, Imipramine = bad times for me (long reply) new
      #155357 - 03/01/05 12:08 PM

Are you taking the benefiber for the excessive gas and bloating? I need help with this shortly after I eat any meal.

Help!

Re: anise w/ tea ,chamomile? new
      #155365 - 03/01/05 12:13 PM

I drink all kinds of teas from the HFS - are you saying add a drop of anise oil in the tea to help calm gas pains?

I try and sip on fennel tea while I am eating to see if it helps - but so far nothing helps about 1/2 hour after I eat - doubled over gas pains!

Did the anise oil help you - and how much do you use??

Desparate!

#155367 - 03/01/05 12:16 PM

Your life sounds exactly like mine - I have tried anti-depressants, soluble fiber supplements, etc. but it seems like NOTHING helps about 1/2 hour after I eat. I get doubled over gas pains. I am desparate for advice -
HELP!

#155397 - 03/01/05 12:58 PM
Meryl36

Reged: 09/03/04
Loc: Dallas, Texas

Welcome to my world! I go through EXACTLY the same thing you do. My only problem is that I continue to eat so I'm not losing weight. Like you said, I'm usually fine till lunch then all hell breaks loose. Your post doesn't say if you're D or C. I'm C & I find that the acacia helps me alot. I'm up to about 10 grams a day & the bloating has gotten much better. I still get bad gas but at least I don't look pregnant all the time. Maybe you need to switch you SFS. I was taking benefiber but the acaica is much better. I also find that drinking tons of water helps. Oh, & exercise. Especially when I'm bloated & gassy. Going for a walk usually helps that too.
I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. I hope you get to feeling better soon.
Meryl

#155405 - 03/01/05 01:11 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Adriane and everyone else who's struggling --

Have you tried the IBS Hypnosis program? IBS is a dysfunction of the autonomic nervous system and hypnosis has been proven in clinical studies to help calm the autonomic nervous system and relieve IBS symptoms. It is well worth the money and you can take the course more than once. Many people report results in the first two weeks.

I have been where all of you are. The gas and bloating are the most difficult symptoms to control but it CAN BE DONE!! Do a search and you'll find a number of posts from me with the things that have helped me.

I have been D-free for over a year now and have had maybe 5 episodes of pain, cramps and gas in that whole time, each of which was relieved within hours.

Heather's approach works. Keep tweaking til your body is comfortable.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#155480 - 03/01/05 03:10 PM

I love hearing that there is hope in not getting gas pains everytime you eat. What meds or supplements are you on? Whatever they are, they seem to be working - please advise!

Re: Desipramine, Imipramine = bad times for me (long reply) new
      #155527 - 03/01/05 05:17 PM
lalala

I've been taking the Benefiber to help me keep regular, not really for the gas or bloating. So far no gas-related problems with the Benefiber, but no improvements because of it. I have noticed that soy products that are dairy alternatives, such as soy milk or soy cheese, any of that stuff that contains carrageenan was giving me horribly painful gas. Now that I avoid carrageenan, I've had a lot more relief. Strangely, I get a lot of gas from eating pasta, bread (especially those made with HFCS), watermelon, and turkey. I don't know why, these foods seems safe.

Anise is good for gas, colic, and averting the Evil Eye, new
      #155531 - 03/01/05 05:33 PM
lalala

I started with six drops of anise into a cup of tea, whatever you've been using to alleviate gas pains. In the past when it gets really bad, I'd take a Phazyme followed by a hot cup of chamomile, peppermint,ginger fennel, whatever, tea with six drops of anise. But you can use anywhere from 2-6. Then I'd get into bed, cover up with a heavy blanket and lie down either on my belly and push a big pillow into it or on my left side and sort of massage it. This would help get the air out and alleviate the bloating. If that didn't help, I'd have another cup of tea and try to relax.

Hope this helps! If I'm not clear enough or you want more info, please ask me again!

Re: Fruit before meal? new
      #155599 - 03/02/05 01:27 AM
Linz

Many fruits in a canned fruit cocktail will be okay...tinned peaches, pears, mango and apple are all good in fact.

If you're okay with the fructose (a possible trigger), then a SF fruit mix is okay whenever...I actually use canned peaches as a SF snack now.

#155603 - 03/02/05 01:34 AM
Linz

If you've given this diet a good chance (AT LEAST one month) and you've had no improvement then you should certainly be looking to get more tests done as it could well be something else is going on.

Btw Carol...a probiotic is recommended anyway so if you feel you need one, take one!

Augie, see my post on this... new
      #155604 - 03/02/05 01:37 AM
Linz

....further up the thread.

Yes, this is true... new
      #155824 - 03/02/05 10:40 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I find it safest to not eat fruit on an empty stomach due to the insoluble fiber. I either cook with it or have it after some soluble fiber foods.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Anise is good for gas, colic, and averting the Evil Eye, new
      #156052 - 03/02/05 06:28 PM

My mom bakes with anise oil - is that the same?????

#156493 - 03/03/05 11:43 AM
Carol H

Reged: 02/28/05

I am already taking a probiotic, but it's possible I need to take extra. I had D. for months in 2002 and it turned out that I needed more good bacteria to destroy a pathogenic bacteria I was fighting in my intestines. But, I had to take about 25,000-30,000 billion organisms a day to stop it. I had read that would do the trick, and to build up to a very high dosage, so I did and it worked. (This was a case where I had lost all my good bacteria from taking an antibiotic. Which may be the case again.)
Carol

Re: Anise is good for gas, colic, and averting the Evil Eye, new
      #157039 - 03/04/05 11:57 AM

I think I asked this before but could not find an answer - is it anise oil like what we could bake with that you use???
I heard of peppermint oil to put in your tea!

Anyone have anise extract/tea preparation suggestions? new
      #157058 - 03/04/05 12:48 PM
lalala

Is there a HFS, naturopath, or herbalist near where you live that you could consult with? I think what you want is anise seed extract. You might also be able to find an anise & fennel tea preparation in a HSF. I know that if you take too much anise oil you could have nausea and vomiting.

I'm sorry for the late reply and for not knowing much more about available anise oil preparations .

#157064 - 03/04/05 01:12 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi, my current IBS meds and supplements are:
1. Metamucil SFS full 3 times a day dose
2. Bentyl antispasmodic 2 times a day every day
3. Gas-X generic antigas 2 capsules every morning
4. Acidophilus probiotic 1 with breakfast and 1 with lunch
5. Imodium A LOT!! Whenever I feel the least bit iffy. Total of maybe 1-2 a day, 5-6 a week. And ALWAYS with Aleve or other HSAIDs.
6. Mylanta liquid for heartburn and GERD.

I didn't get stable until my doctor convinced me I HAD to take Bentyl EVERY day!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: Totally lost-Bentyl??? new
      #157150 - 03/04/05 10:32 PM

I have never heard of Bentyl antispas drug. I was just on librax and went off it after a couple of months - no difference at all.

Please inform
thanks!

#161663 - 03/17/05 05:50 PM
Adriane

Reged: 12/01/04
Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii

So, this is going to blow everything out of the water. I decided to go to a naturopath doctor yesterday and he basically told me that everything that I was doing was wrong. he told me that eating all white pastas and breads was actually making me sicker. He said that since I am an O blood type which makes me a "meat eater" I was making it harder for my body to digest all the carbs. He also said that A blood types could probably deal with all the breads easier but that it still isn't good. So, he has put me on a strict meat and vegtables diet along with lots of natural vitamins to try to rid my body of fungus and yeast that has build up over the years. I don't know what to think yet, but I am desperate for an answer so it's hard to say no to trying. If anyone else is trying the soluble fiber thing to no avail, maybe you should try holistic healing. I will keep updating as I see if results happen. God I hope so!

Re: Totally lost-Bentyl??? new
      #161710 - 03/17/05 09:59 PM
cloudygirl

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Washington

HI 9804,
I use Bentyl(Dicyclomine HCL)everyday. I am IBS-C, with mega gas and bloating. It is an atispasmodic. I take 10mgs 2-4 times a day. Ask your doctor about it, it might make a diference for you. Good luck, and don't give up.

Cloudygirl

#161714 - 03/17/05 10:52 PM
mars

Reged: 03/17/05
Loc: Middle of Nowhere, NC

I just got through trying the 14 days of Vivonex for IBS/Small bowel bacterial overgrowth. The stuff is disgusting (tastes like baby vomit smells) but it sure causes no bowel symptoms. No pain no cramping. Then you burp and smell the stuff again
Apparently I'll have to do it again when the symptoms come back. Wait and see. Has anybody else tried a short term elemental diet? I've been on Peptamen as well, tastes better than Vivonex but ungodly expensive.

--------------------
Mars

Re: Totally Lost new
      #372956 - 08/25/16 01:27 AM
fang

Reged: 08/25/16

me too

Edited by Heather (08/25/16 10:54 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1343 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 50061

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review