Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Anyone here on HRT?
      #14481 - 07/21/03 12:14 AM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Hi,

I just wondered what your experiences with it have been especially in relation to your IBS.

It looks like I will be taking it fairly long term to help with our fertility problems so am keen to find out what to expect.

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone here on HRT? new
      #14491 - 07/21/03 06:03 AM
berky

Reged: 06/26/03
Loc: New York state

HI Kerrie- I am on Premarin in cream form (for early onset menopause-oh joy!) Anyway, that has been the one change this year for me, and I have noticed a big increase in IBS attacks. I used to get an attack around my period or maybe once every couple of months due to eating poorly and stress. Now I am getting attacks at least once a week. That's what prompted me to do a search and find this forum as well as order Heather's book. My OB-GYN doesn't seem to feel there's any connection but I have learned to take what doctors say with a grain of salt, you know?? Good luck to you!! Linda

--------------------
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." ~ Groucho Marx

#14493 - 07/21/03 06:18 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

No, but I want you to know I'm keeping you in my prayers as you continue to work on the fertility issues. Hugs!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#14494 - 07/21/03 07:50 AM
busymom

Reged: 06/30/03
Loc: Michigan

I have been on natural remedies for early Premenopause--black cohosh, Progesterone cream, soy isoflavones, and Estroven for the last few years. I had added the Estroven to my regimen only about 4 months ago and noticed my attacks were coming more and more frequently. I hadn't gotten Heather's book yet, though. I got off all of the natural remedies about 6 weeks ago, and Heather's book arrived about a month ago. Since then I have had a dramatic decrease in attacks. My goal is to get everything out of my system and go my doctor and see what is what with the hormone levels. My hot flashes and night sweats haven't come back yet, so maybe I am over the hump on those. If they do, however, it will be a choice between them and attack diarrhea, I guess.

Is there a solution for the hormonal problem, Heather?

#14515 - 07/21/03 11:00 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - They're just starting to really research hormonal connections to IBS. They know there are some, but exactly how to deal with this is still a mystery. Check the research library under the "gender / hormones" section for some of the studies. They definitely confirm a connection. But in terms of developing HRT or even birth control pills that are aimed for helping or at least not aggravating IBS, I haven't seen anything forthcoming. Sorry...this is an area of major frustration, I know.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#14532 - 07/21/03 02:04 PM
Georgia

Reged: 07/06/03
Loc: Granite City, IL

Hi Kerrie! I've been on Premarin for 4 years. I am perimenopausal due to a hysterectomy. I'm only 40 and wish I wasn't on them. Last year I started experiencing increasing problems w/ my IBS and finally saw a good GI. I decided to stop taking the med because I wanted my system clean and I started reading Heather's book. Unfortunately, I had to go back on them and the worst time for me is starting it again. When I have stopped it for a period of time the first 4 weeks I get back on it are awful for me. My GI said this is not uncommon. As long as I'm on it for a period of time, I'm fine with it, even tho I'd rather not have to take any. Good luck with the HRT, I pray it works well for you. Georgia

#14533 - 07/21/03 02:12 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Kerrie I wish you the best of luck. I haven't personally experience fertility problems, but my identical twin sister has. I had three children before you got pregnant with one and the emotional pain she experienced was diffcult to watch. She didn't come to the hospital when I had my third child.
My heart really goes out to you and you are in my prayers.

#14703 - 07/23/03 03:07 PM
KinOz

Thanks guys for all your info and advice/experiences on and with HRT.

I'm feeling a bit better today and I'm willing to do this if it will help our embryos decide to stay in there.

I guess I'm lucky it's only fairly short term for me. ("until we hear the most beautiful sound in the world -the beating of your child's heart" - my wonderful Doctor's words)

To Barbara,

Thanks for sharing about your sister, I can understand how she must of felt and also that it must of been hard for you too. Even though I love all my friends and family so much and would never wish them to be going through what we are it's still hard watching them all have babies so easily. You can't help wondering why it has been decided that they are more deserving than you.

I am incredibly lucky that I already have one beautiful child who I am so grateful for.

Thanks again guys,
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#14720 - 07/23/03 08:30 PM
Lisa from LA

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Currently: Raleigh, NC Formerly: Lafayette, LA

Hi Kerri and best of luck to you. My prayers are with you. I have had female problems since I was 11 years old. I have been married 18 years and have not been able to conceive. About 3 years ago I had a complete hysterectomy and have been on natural progesteron cream and compounded natural estrogen. I do fine with the natural stuff but have major swelling and IBS problems with the synethic stuff. I must say that I had to do some talking to convince my OB-GYN but he now sees that the naturals work better for me. Good luck to you again! Lisa

Re: Lisa, natural products? new
      #14739 - 07/23/03 10:10 PM
KinOz

Thanks for the info, Lisa and I'm sorry for what you've been through.

I hadn't even thought of there being natural alternatives (dense, I know!). Do you get these from a naturopath or health food store?

Also have you had any blood tests etc while on these natural products to see what your hormone levels are? Do you get as effective a hormonal response as with the synthetic kind?

That's crucial for me because I need to keep my progesterone and E2 levels consistent to try to sustain a pregnancy.

Thanks again,
Kerrie

--------------------

Re: Anyone here on HRT? Question for LIsa from LA new
      #14762 - 07/24/03 07:01 AM
berky

Reged: 06/26/03
Loc: New York state

Hi LIsa- I was wondering if you could tell me the names of the natural hormones you use. I have been noticing a dramatic increase in IBS symptoms since going on Premarin, though my doc says "there is no data to support that"-yeah, sure, tell that to my gut. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks! Linda

--------------------
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." ~ Groucho Marx

Re: Anyone here on HRT? Question for LIsa from LA new
      #14766 - 07/24/03 07:24 AM
JNFIO

Reged: 07/20/03
Loc: Tennessee, US

I know of a product that is a great hormone replacement. Totally natural too! I buy a deep tissue cleansing tea and several other non-medicinal herbal foods from the company that offers it too. It can be purchased over the net and the company is based in CA. They have been around for many years, very sound company. The selling is all done by referal and we get credit for more products and stuff. The product that is used for hormone replacement is called Bella. I would be happy to put in touch with some people who take it. I do not yet, but I am sure it will not be long. ha Let me know if you want more info and I'll get it to you. The foods I eat from there help my IBS symptoms so much too. Now if I could get the other food I eat to cooperate I will be in great shape.

--------------------
JNFIO is for Just Now Figuring It Out...

#14797 - 07/24/03 11:19 AM
Georgia

Reged: 07/06/03
Loc: Granite City, IL

Hi Lisa. I've been trying to get my GYN to help me get on natural HRT rather than the Premarin I've been on. I was watching Dr. Phil one day and there was a woman on there who wrote a book and gives a 'recipe' for menopausal women. It's all natural. You can find the info on his website. Also, she recommends testing. Do you know how the whole compounding pharmacy thing works? I have (thru the doc) used Progesterone cream, but it didn't seem ot have an affect. I'm at my wits end with trying to get things straight in that dept. Thank God I have a wonderful husband. I've been dealing with this for 4 yrs, since my hysterectomy. I'm glad you found what works for you!!Thanks for any info you have.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 126 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2334

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review