All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
food allergies
      #1446 - 02/26/03 08:38 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I am going to throw out another question, since I am new to the forum.
What do all know about food allergies and IBS. Food intolerences are discussed alot as triggers for IBS, but I wonder if true food allergies can cause the same problems for IBS suffers.
I love making my own Granola bars, because I don't use flour and sugar. I decided to add peanut butter to the Granola bars over the weekend and my husband and children loved it! Only problem is my stomach still hurts (at least it isn't bloated anymore) and my hands and face are still swollen. Last week I put sunflower seeds on top of my salad for alittle protein and the seeds didn't agree with my Acid Reflux.
Are nuts a no no with IBS?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: food allergies new
      #1450 - 02/26/03 10:44 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Food allergies can cause symptoms very similar to IBS, and a lot of people are misdiagnosed with IBS when they actually have allergies. It's also possible to have both allergies and IBS.

Allergies themselves, though, do not cause IBS. Allergies are immune sytem responses to harmless substances your body is mistakenly identifying as harmful. The swollen face and hands you're describing after eating peanut butter sounds like an allergic reaction, but this kind of swelling is not a symptom of an IBS attack.

The most common allergens are nuts, eggs, shellfish, corn, strawberries, soy. These aren't necessarily foods that will trigger IBS attacks. And with IBS food intolerances, HOW you eat the food can matter just as much as WHAT you're eating (especially with insoluble fibers). The quantitiy makes a big difference with IBS as well. With allergies, you're going to react to the substance no matter how you eat it, and sometimes reactions occur no mattter how small the amount ingested as well (as when people eat a single peanut and go into shock from the allergic reaction).

I would definitely suggest you see an allergist and have the tests for food allergies (this is a standard step to take before accepting a diagnosis of IBS).

Nuts can be a trigger for IBS because they're high in fat, but finely grinding them, using them in small quantities, and having them with soluble fiber makes them very tolerable for most folks. If you're allergic to nuts, though, none of this will matter and you'll have to avoid them altogether.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: food allergies new
      #1626 - 02/28/03 07:34 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Hi Heather,
Thanks for the suggestion about being tested for food allergies. I have asked my Gastro. about being tested, but he didn't believe foods are the primary cause for my IBS. However, my Internist told me to keep a food diary since he believes food intorleneces cause my IBS. I change my diet after finding your book at the Library and I am doing a lot better.
My white blood cells are slightly allivated, which suggest allergies, but my Doctors don't feel the need to test me. I don't always feel my doctors have given me the best care. It took five months of stomach pain before I was referred to a Gastro. and that was after two Pancreatitis attacks. I switched Internists and maybe I'll have to switch again.
BarbaraS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 997 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 885

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review