All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How to fit whole grains into the picture
      #14240 - 07/16/03 02:51 PM
JAZMom

Reged: 07/09/03

Just came across another article touting the importance of whole grains for a healthy diet. I've switched over to french bread for the ever boring turkey sandwiches and really miss whole grain breads. The white stuff seems so doughy and empty to me. Has anyone come up with a good way to incorporate some whole grains into an IBS-D safe diet (not just breads)? Also, any suggestions for lunch besides turkey or tuna that are quick and easy?!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

lunch idea new
      #14248 - 07/16/03 05:01 PM
artist

Reged: 05/28/03

Lunch can get a little boring especially if you have to rely on sandwiches. What about flavored flatbreads, tortillas or pitas? I like to make "seafood salad" with imitation crab and shrimp. I buy a bag of frozen cooked shrimp to keep on hand and only thaw out what I need. (the shrimp thaw in a few minutes under running water) Just mix the seafood with whatever mayo type you can tolerate and you can experiment with the kind of spices you enjoy. Try mayo, a small amount of relish, and a little mustard. Hope you like this! artist

Re: How to fit whole grains into the picture new
      #14249 - 07/16/03 05:18 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Brown rice, oatmeal, and barley tend to be the best-tolerated whole grains for IBS. Not everyone can tolerate these, so take care, but in general they're safer than whole wheat. I love brown rice with steamed veggies for dinner (and leftovers for lunch). You can make very low fat and dairy free oatmeal cookies (check the recipe index). Barley and quinoa are good alternatives. Rye and pumpernickel bread are often tolerated better than whole wheat - try them as bagels with smoked fish instead of turkey. You can use cornmeal to make polenta, or use baked corn chips as your soluble fiber base.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: lunch idea new
      #19278 - 09/01/03 11:53 AM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

is pita similar to french bread and in what way?nt

Edited by louise (09/01/03 11:54 AM)

#19291 - 09/01/03 03:05 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Pita is a flat, round Middle Eastern bread that does not in any way resemble French bread. It can be cut in half, split open, and filled with a salad such as seafood salad, or torn into bite-size pieces and dipped in hummus. Just be sure to buy pita bread made from white and not whole wheat flour.

#19310 - 09/01/03 06:45 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

Hi TESS; thanks for the clarification.nt

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 831 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 774

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review