All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Worse in the First Week?
      #14010 - 07/14/03 05:58 PM
Judithg

Reged: 07/14/03
Loc: California

Hi--My doctor told me some time ago that I have symptoms of IBS (mostly C, with occasional D), though he didn't give me much help beyond that. I am also gluten intolerant and try to maintain a strict gluten-free diet. This helps, but it doesn't seem to eliminate the flare-ups I have every few months. I just started reading Eating for IBS, and I'm trying to get started on the diet. For the past few days I have been eating mostly white rice, rice crackers, overcooked vegetables, tofu, and rice pasta. Today is the 5th day of this, and I'm actually much worse! I was too sick today to work or do anything else. Is this common? Is my system just trying to regulate itself? Would really like to know if others experienced this initially. Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Worse in the First Week? new
      #14019 - 07/14/03 07:21 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I had the same thing happen to me. I think I was so afraid of eating insoluble fiber that I was eating almost all soluble fiber. You have to eat the insoluble fiber too! Just make sure it's in combination with the soluble stuff. Example: if you eat oatmeal for breakfast, add some diced, peeled fresh fruit to it. On your sandwich at lunch, add lettuce and tomato. Eating fajita at dinner? Don't skip the sauteed veggies! Try this and see if it helps.

#14031 - 07/14/03 10:57 PM
Judithg

Thanks--That may be it. Glad to know I'm not the only one! I have been eating a little bit of fruit, but in the form of bananas and applesauce, which don't have much/any insoluble fiber. I think what's confused me is that I thought that during the first week or so it's recommended to just go with rice and other low residue stuff in order to stabilize the digestion. But I think this may have thrown my system off--too big a change, as I usually eat a lot more typical "roughage." Also wonder if suddenly cutting out dairy, red meat, and most fats and oils makes a difference. It certainly seems like some experimenting is necessary! Thanks for your post.

#14037 - 07/15/03 12:52 AM
queenie

Reged: 04/04/03
Loc: Texas, USA

judith

glad to have you with us and i'm sorry your gi isn't of more help. to make sure you have a good ibs diagnosis, you need to get tested to make sure you don't have chrons, colitis, gallbladder issues, or cancer which can mimic ibs symptoms. and for some of the really "lucky" people might have a combination of problems. the bad thing about ibs is that to get it ruled as the only issue you have is you must get everything ruled out. most of us have had colonoscopies or other procedures to confirm diagnosis.

when i first started on the ibs diet i quickly learned that i could not take fiber supplements, it made it really bad. you probably won't need to restrict your diet to rice type foods only unless you are in the throws of an attack, then go to the BRAT (bananas, rice, applesauce, white toast) diet until you stabilize. when i have an attack i go back to that immediately and usually add potatoes.

again, glad you are here.

amy

#14040 - 07/15/03 04:25 AM
artist

Reged: 05/28/03

Welcome! I am also IBS-C. I tend to get a lot of pain and bloating as well. The no dairy, no red meat, low fat is a VERY GOOD IDEA. This, along with my Benefiber supplement helped me the most out of anything. Also beaglelover is totally right, make sure you continue the "roughage" following Heather's guidlines for insoluble fiber. If I don't include the insoluble fiber, I don't go. One question, have you always eaten soy or did you just recently add it? When I gave up dairy, I replaced it with all soy products and felt HORRIBLE.(lot's of bloating and pain). No dairy, no soy, I feel better.(rice substitutes are ok for me). Everyone is different, but if you just recently added soy you might want to avoid it for a week and see how you feel. Good Luck artist

#14075 - 07/15/03 10:53 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - The folks who answered you are right, the soluble fiber restriction is just to break a cycle of attacks (especially painful cramps), and is only meant for a few days. Start blending fresh fruit into smoothies to drink, and make fresh veggies into a pureed soup or pasta sauce. That's the safest way to add in insoluble fiber. Also, if the tofu is new to you, take that out for a bit. You might need to adjust to soy gradually if you're not used to it. Try using skinless chicken breasts or steamed fish for protein, and add in a little soy milk as you stabilize. You can work up to tofu.

Also - are you taking a soluble fiber supplement and drinking lots of water? This is crucial - see the link on the front page of the forum for supplement dosage details.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#14692 - 07/23/03 01:01 PM
Judithg

I posted this a week ago, and I haven't had time to thank everyone who replied with ideas on why I was feeling worse. I cut out the soy--I may be sensitive to it. I'm feeling better this week, but I'm still having a problem that concerns/annoys me: Even though I have been very regular for several days (yay, Citrucel!), my gut feels really jumpy all the time. Is that some kind of spasm thing? It's not cramps or pain exactly, just jumpy and uncomfortable, especially after BM. Anyone else have this? I've been trying deep relaxation and yoga in the a.m. and walking for 20-30 min in the afternoon. Being pretty careful about the diet, and taking enteric peppermint (which I've found helpful for years). I also drink ginger tea.

I appreciate all the info on this site. Thanks!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1834 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1985

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review