All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
children with IBS
      #13728 - 07/10/03 12:55 PM
fallons21

Reged: 07/10/03
Loc: New England

My son was just diagnosed with IBS (he is 12) and I cannot seem to find any books or children friendly recipes for him, could anyone help us out? thank you

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: children with IBS new
      #13729 - 07/10/03 01:12 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi there, welcome!

Do a search for kids...there wad a post a while back on kids' meals and IBS.

Some of the foods mentioned were finger foods. Kids love those! And anything with ketchup makes it taste better. Does your son like pasta? What does he like to eat? I'll try and help you come up with stuff...if you can give me some ideas of what he likes, that will help me help you

Good luck!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

better search words new
      #13730 - 07/10/03 01:17 PM
Snow for Sarala

Try searching for "kidswithIBS". She posted a question about menus for kids. If that doesn't work, try "kids, diet, menu"

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#13731 - 07/10/03 01:21 PM
fallons21

thanks so much...
he does like pasta and i already buy all natural no preservative foods because he gets migraines from preservatives...just another thing added to the spice of life! he likes burgers, eats low fat dogs now and meats, chicken and loves salads (thats a problem).
I took out 2 books from the library and have read them cover to cover about the order of eating certain foods, etc. but i know alot more info will follow. he is feeling deprived and that his life "stinks" now that we have cut out certain foods. i would like to be able for him to have a variety of foods. thanks again for your help and i will do a search on "kids"

#13732 - 07/10/03 01:26 PM
Snow for Sarala

I'm so glad he likes pasta! There's a lot you can do with it! Have you used any soy products? Don't even tell him it's soy...(unless he'll be cool with that). There's TONS he can have if he can have soy...soy milk, soy yogurt, etc. (There's even soy pudding!)

You mentioned two books....what books did you get?

Can he eat egg whites?

Does he eat fish?

Can he digest casein?

Sorry for all the questions! I'll keep thinking of things/recipes! You also might want to post your question on the recipe board...just a thought.

I'm sure we'll figure out some way to help you out!

Ruchie

P.S. Would he be interested in the board? I know a lot of us went through these things when we were kids (I know I did!) and it might help him to hear that? Just a thought. I hope he feels better and adjusts soon!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#13733 - 07/10/03 01:30 PM
fallons21

what is casein? yes he eats fish and has no problem that we know of with eggs. i did turn him on to low fat ice cream today and he did love it!!!!

#13734 - 07/10/03 01:35 PM
Snow for Sarala

So he can eat dairy? He's lucky! Most of us can't.

Casein is a protein, I think, in dairy. Some folks with IBS can tolerate it, others can't.

IBS is very individual...just somehting to keep in mind.

Fish is a good idea for kids. You can use bread crumbs and a teaspoon of canola oil and make homemade fried fish. Same with chicken btw.

If he can eat eggs, dairy, and soy...he's pretty well off! Heather's book Eating for IBS has tons of yummy recipes! Many of them are quite sophisticated...but again it depends on your son's tastes and what he likes to eat. What does he feel like he's missing out on? Candy? Stuff with colored dye in it? Corn syrup? I'm getting an idea of what he's able to eat...what CAN'T he eat?

Hope this helps a little....

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#13736 - 07/10/03 02:15 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Hi and welcome! Is you son IBS C or IBS D? I think Ruchie already asked but what does he feel like he is missing out on as far as food?

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#13756 - 07/10/03 10:34 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi, and welcome! Definitely check the recipe board for kid-friendly recipes, and also the newsletter archive recipes here web page

Also, it sounds like you need some basic diet guidelines, since your son should really be avoiding all dairy and egg yolks (egg whites are fine, and he can try lots of soy and rice substitutes for dairy products like ice cream and milk). Check here for that info web page

Also, there are special sections just for children with IBS (and their parents) in the book the First Year IBS. There's tons of chapters from that book here web page I've had IBS since I was 9 so this is a subject close to my heart....

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#13759 - 07/10/03 10:51 PM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

My daughter is 9 and has been diagnosed for a couple of months. I'm finding that as I try to introduce new things to her, she needs to understand herself why these foods will make her feel better. Although I'm educating her in the best way to eat for her ibs, it's only really kicking in when she takes responsibility for her own diet. She knows now that if she eats something she really wants that makes her ill, that was a decision she had to take.
I hope this makes sense, and they do seem so young to have to do this, but kids need to learn how to make informed food choices themselves.

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2601 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1519

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review