All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
What caused this attack??
      #137107 - 01/11/05 01:57 AM
WelshLady

Reged: 08/25/04

I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on an 'attack' I had last night

Yesterday, I ate porridge for breakfast (with soya milk), some rice cakes and a banana mid morning, rice and chicken for lunch, some rice cakes in the afternoon and then turkey dinner in the evening (potatoes, carrots/sweet potato and a small amount of parsnip).

Before dinner I did some yoga and was burping a bit (until it felt quite 'acid', maybe I'd gone too long without food?). After dinner, I felt uncomfortable then started to feel gas moving around my stomach and yep, you've guessed it, a trip to the bathroom ensued……. In some respects I'm lucky that it was just the one trip, thankfully…. Afterwards and this morning I felt a bit 'sore' and unsettled….

I've been taking SFS, prescribed peppermint caps and digestive enzymes for some time. I've also started drinking lots of water (which I've noticed has helped a lot) but an 'episode' like this knocks me back and leaves me desperately trying to work out what went wrong.

I didn't eat any trigger foods and have no idea where the gassy feeling came from – any ideas?? Can an attack be caused by trapped gas? How do I stop the gas from developing in the first place (I avoid all 'gassy' food like the plague already!). I've heard that charcoal tablets can absorb gases but could cause bloating etc. Could it have been too many vegetables, particularly parsnip, as I've had a similar episode after a turkey dinner (but then again I've eaten it before and been fine..).

My brain hurts from analysing it! Any help would be much appreciated!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What caused this attack?? new
      #137122 - 01/11/05 05:31 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

you dont' say a lot about the turkey dinner... turkey has been a trigger because many of them have dairy in them- butterball for ex.. but not the only one... and also a lot of packaged turkey has other triggers... good luck...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#137147 - 01/11/05 07:03 AM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

Well I would say maybe the turkey or chicken if it was not white meat and organic could have done it? Or I know for me stress is a trigger as well. Where you stressed out?

Hope you feel better,
Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

#137154 - 01/11/05 07:11 AM
WelshLady

Nope, I didn't feel stressed out and it can't have been the turkey as I eat this regularly with no problems...
I think the attack was caused by trapped gas rather than a trigger, but I can't work out what caused the trapped gas in the first place... it's a mystery!

Rice Cakes Are Likely The Culprit new
      #137161 - 01/11/05 07:53 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Welsh Lady:

The last painful attack I had (more than two years ago now) was caused by, believe it or not, eating rice cakes. It took me two weeks to recover.

The reason for the attack, I found out later, is because rice cakes are made from brown rice (insoluble fibre). White rice (soluble fibre) is usually safe to eat, but many IBS people have difficulty tolerating brown rice, which like whole wheat flour, can cause attacks. As far as I know, most rice cakes are made from brown rice.

I would recommend staying away from rice cakes! Hope this helps and hope you feel better soon.

Belinda

Re: Rice Cakes Are Likely The Culprit new
      #137527 - 01/12/05 07:12 AM
WelshLady

Thanks for the post.

I don't think it was the rice cakes as I've literally eaten hundreds of these since starting on Heather's diet and I've never been ill on them..

I guess it was just one of those irritating attacks which is destined to remain a mystery!

#137541 - 01/12/05 08:24 AM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

For me both the potatoes and parsnips would have caused a gas attack. My last one was when I ate some rutabagas, so now I stay away from the root vegetables. Do an experiment with the potatoes, just eat a bowl of mashed potatoes and wait.

Detective Work new
      #137622 - 01/12/05 10:51 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Okay, if it wasn't the rice cakes, then I will have to take out my IBS detective's notebook...

Here are some questions for you:

1. Did you eat anything different than you normally eat? If so, what was it?

2. What did you eat the day before? I used to get attacks when I ate an "IBS no-no" the day before or even two days before.

3. Was the food you ate organic? I have gotten an IBS attack just from eating conventional chicken. Following Heather's diet is no guarantee you'll be okay if you aren't eating organic.

4. This is not a question, but a fact: IBS attacks can be triggered by not eating on time or eating too much at one time. Small amounts every few hours is best if you have IBS.

Belinda

#137824 - 01/12/05 03:21 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

WelshLady,

Do you keep a food diary? It can be very helpful for figuring out those mystery attacks (which I know and love so well!). Belinda is absolutely right -- sometimes it can be something you ate or drank 2 or 3 days ago that sets you up for an attack later. For example, if I cheat and have a glass of wine or a 3 oz portion of lean sirloin steak or a slice of pizza, I'm FINE that day!!! Then 2-3 days later all heck breaks loose even if I'm eating plain white rice!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#138060 - 01/13/05 11:29 AM
kdavis2

Reged: 01/13/05

I would have had an attack with the soya milk and banana. When ever I have an attack, I start from scratch eliminating foods and keeping a diary to find the cause, it has work most times. For example I had these attacks when I working at a new job from elimination and journals I discovered it was from a cafeteria that spray perservatives on their food. After I stop eating there, the attacks went away. Sometimes for me it is a combination of two foods that had done it.

kdavis2

I thought root veggies... new
      #138083 - 01/13/05 12:23 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

were pretty safe for everyone. Aren't they the most tolerable of all veggies?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: I thought root veggies... new
      #138125 - 01/13/05 03:28 PM
LauraSue

Beth,

Yes, you're right that root vegetables are primarily soluble fiber so they are IBS-safe in that respect. However, different people have different food allergies or intolerances on top of their IBS. Like I am allergic to every type of squash, from acorn to zucchini (hey, A to Z!! pretty funny). So even though winter squashes are normally IBS-safe, I have to stay away from them.

Make sense?

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

How do you figure it out new
      #138189 - 01/13/05 07:56 PM
Augie

If you are allergic or intolerant to specifics foods that are suppose to be safe? Do most people get an ELISA test or some sort of blood tests or antibody testing?

Or do you do the elimination diet approach.

I've kept a food diary in the past but it did no good. One time I ate the food I had no reaction. A week later I could eat the same exact food and have horrible pain, gas and bloating.

--------------------
~ Beth

ELISA testing new
      #138211 - 01/13/05 10:18 PM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

Beth, I got an ELISA test and it showed different foods I am allergic too, and different levels of intolerance (like permanent fatal allergic reaction, High reaction, low reaction that could be temporary, etc). They also recommend an elimination diet to go with it. It was somewhat helpful, but I didn't have many serious reactions. It was also expensive (i think $200) and OMG they took SO much blood!! Like four huge tubes. Anyways, that's what I know about that, I hope it helps.

--------------------
~Angela

Re: ELISA testing new
      #138280 - 01/14/05 06:30 AM
Augie

Who would I go to for this testing Angie? I am desparate!

--------------------
~ Beth

#138436 - 01/14/05 10:45 AM
Angie113

I think my test was done at Great Smokies Lab in Colorado, but I think they should be able to take your blood at any lab and then send it there. You may need a doctor to order the test for you. I don't have the paperwork with me right now because it's at school, but when I get back I will try to remember to check for you and give you the lab information. Maybe if you contact them, they can give you info on providers in your area that will order the test. Hope that helps!

--------------------
~Angela

#138442 - 01/14/05 10:59 AM
Augie

So you actually went to the the lab in Colorado?
Do you think it was worth the money Angie? Do you know if you need to be currently consuming the foods in order for the test to be accurate.

I would greatly appreciate any help you could give!

Also, since you seem to be very into the acupuncture/naturopath treatment, could you suggest a way to find a reputable one that won't "rip me off". All I have is my yellow pages!

Sorry so many questions. It's just that I'm getting frustrated trying to figure out my triggers!
BTW, do you need to take an SFS or do you just do H's diet?
Are you an A or a C?

--------------------
~ Beth

Beth, allergy testing and acupuncture new
      #138521 - 01/14/05 02:08 PM
Angie113

No, I did not have to go to Colorado, don't worry!! My acupuncturist had the order form and we took that to my local lab, then they drew the blood and sent it to the lab in Colorado. To be honest, since I didn't have a lot of severe allergies, the information was only mildly helpful, but I found that I was mildly allergic to bananas, for example, and I have tried to avoid those. But it also said that I was mildly allergic to both soy and dairy, and I did try to reduce my intake of soy, but I could never totally eliminate that because I'd starve!! There is a program for a rotating diet that you can choose to follow which will theoretically reduce your allergic reactions, but I thought it was too complicated and stressful to take on. If you are really having trouble with triggers and what to eat, it would at least maybe give you some idea of what to avoid or make you relax if you have very few allergies. I would say it was worth it to give me the peace of mind that one avenue of problems was exhausted. If you are not currently consuming some of the foods, I think that's ok because any serious allergies will leave long-term antibodies that will always show up. If you do decide to take the test, though, it's a good idea to eat a variety of foods the week before.

Regarding acupuncture, I think I posted this link before but I can post it again: Acupuncture and if it doesn't work just go to acupuncture.com. The site has a lot of reliable information, as well as a link that allows you to search for acupuncturists by zip code. Mine is on there, so I think they should be pretty good. I agree that you shouldn't just look in the yellow pages, I had a bad experience with one acupuncturist at school who made me cry

BTW, I just started taking Heather's acacia fiber ~ 3 weeks ago and I am only taking 3/4 tsp/day (starting at 1 tsp a day gave me cramps and bloating) so I don't think it's hurting or helping me. I think I'm IBS-A, but I rarely have a problem with either C or D, just very gassy and bloating/pain. I used to be C more before I got IBS, and I rarely get D (but maybe a couple times in the past year, or if I drink caffeine or fruit juice) or C anymore. I think that is probably due to the diet.

--------------------
~Angela

Re: How do you figure it out new
      #138561 - 01/14/05 03:26 PM
LauraSue

Beth,

A food diary or an elimination diet are the usual ways to figure it out. But if I were you, I'd start with the assumption that you DON'T have any allergies or intolerances, that it's just the IBS. If after a few months of following Heather's suggestions, you start noticing that certain foods that should be okay are causing you problems then you can start looking for allergies or intolerances.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

LS- How do you figure it out new
      #138582 - 01/14/05 04:10 PM
Augie

So you're saying to go ahead and drink soy milk, bananas, or even broccoli (with SF base) or slice of tomato, canned pears or peaches, some hummus and not worry! I am like that earlier post and usually eat the same food every day!

You don't think the ELISA testing is needed? It may give me some answers though, but pretty pricey!

--------------------
~ Beth

I ditto LS's suggestion! new
      #138591 - 01/14/05 04:25 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Everybody is scared to try foods at the beginning, but unfortunately, since everyone is different, you need to try your own thing! Trial and error is how most of us found what works for us. Start with Breaking the Cycle and gradually add stuff.. see how you do with those foods and if nothing happens, then great!

Unfortunately, you have to have a lot of patience with IBS because it does take a long time to figure out what your body likes and dislikes.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#138955 - 01/15/05 09:18 PM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

welshlady i would have to say it was the soy milk and banana what caused your gas triggers. hope your feeling better soon. jasper

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

I tried breaking the cycle new
      #139050 - 01/16/05 11:02 AM
Augie

for about a week and felt no better, but did get more constipated from lack of insolubles I presume.

Guys, I am at a loss as to what foods are okay for me, how to pinpoint problem foods, and how to find an SFS

I know everyone is probably tired of me whining about this, but I am feeling no relief from what I'm trying. If only I could feel a little tiny relief, maybe I would have some hope. I am at a loss, though. I cannot for the life of me figure out what foods are hurtful or safe for my body since I am in pain and symptomatic 24/7! Bananas, veggies, soy, mushrooms, buckwheat, squash, who knows! Am I just stupid or what? I know I'm not stupid. I graduated from college with honors for pete's sake. So why can't I do this diet in a way that brings some relief?

Does this diet just not work for some people? Honestly?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: I tried breaking the cycle new
      #139052 - 01/16/05 11:06 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Are you not taking any SFS at all???!! Honestly that was what got me stablized the fastest. You already feel miserable all the time, so what's the worst that can happen if you don't tolerate the first one you try? Throw it out and try the next one. It is very important that you start taking an SFS immediately.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

SFS new
      #139053 - 01/16/05 11:16 AM
Augie

I'm currently taking 6 grams fiber worth of citrucel clear mix. I've been taking this pretty much for over a year. Before this website I had taken it for years, but the sugar free kind. I've stopped it periodically to try others (fiberchoice, fibercon, and benefiber) but have always returned to citrucel because the other either gave me worse cramps or no BM at all. I've also thought maybe taking nothing might work because maybe some bodies just can't tolerate any SFS. I know from the poll I did that there are others who aren't taking one for that reason. I didn't think you really needed one either?

I don't know Amanda. I feel so guilty because I am always posting such negative posts. Always whining and crying that I don't know what to do, and the advice I do get is often contradictory. I'm just one confused IBS mess

Maybe it's time to give you guys a break from me! I'm always taking up all the posts with my constant crying and what feels like begging for help. You guys are probably sorry I ever found this website!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: SFS new
      #139074 - 01/16/05 01:35 PM
LauraSue

Beth, don't you DARE give up!! And if conflicting advice is confusing you, then just go back to what Heather says, rather than our interpretation of what Heather says, or what works for us. Everybody is slightly different but Heather's approach helps everybody. So keep it simple and stay focused, hon. Your body will tell you what it needs, but only if you pay attention to what it's trying to tell you. Okay?

Hang in there and keep it simple! (oooh, I'm going to make that my new signature)

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: SFS new
      #139084 - 01/16/05 02:17 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I am really liking the acacia. People said to up it very slowly and they mean it! When I added a second dose too soon it was too much, but one evening does is working well for me! I highly recommend it.

I wouldn't worry about the little singular things some people have problems with. Get Heather's books and live by those. I personally don't have any additional food problems and so you might not either. C is very, very tough and you have to increase the insolubles and veggies. Don't worry about getting bloat since you already have it. For me I get bloated if I am C (even if I seem quite regular I can still need to go more. When I am going all I should then the bloat goes away. So I try not to single out the bloat but treat it as a symptom of an unhappy tummy in general.) Also you might never get rid of C if you can't relax and let go of the stress!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

You can double or even triple your SFS dose.... new
      #139185 - 01/16/05 08:52 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

so you're up to 12-18 grams or so. Don't do this all at once! But I'd start gradually increasing your Citrucel, and just keep going until you stabilize. People who are really prone to C tend to need the high end of a SFS dose. There are some folks up to about 25 grams a day of the Acacia, and then there's soluble and insoluble fiber in their diet on top of that.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: You can double or even triple your SFS dose.... new
      #139300 - 01/17/05 09:48 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I second everything Heather said, and I would also echo the others who talked about controlling your stress and anxiety. I think you are on to something when you say that you think the worrying is what is making you worse. It definitely could be! Have you thought about the hypno CDs? I'm almost done with the course, and I have noticed a tremendous change. Other things, like excersizing, volunteering, starting a book club, can help you take the focus off your IBS and put it back on your entire person. Think about it. And let your doctor know how stressed and anxious you've been feeling all the time -- maybe he or she has some suggestions.
~~Panda~~

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2595 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5161

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review