All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
I ditto LS's suggestion! new
      #138591 - 01/14/05 04:25 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Everybody is scared to try foods at the beginning, but unfortunately, since everyone is different, you need to try your own thing! Trial and error is how most of us found what works for us. Start with Breaking the Cycle and gradually add stuff.. see how you do with those foods and if nothing happens, then great!

Unfortunately, you have to have a lot of patience with IBS because it does take a long time to figure out what your body likes and dislikes.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What caused this attack?? new
      #138955 - 01/15/05 09:18 PM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

welshlady i would have to say it was the soy milk and banana what caused your gas triggers. hope your feeling better soon. jasper

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

I tried breaking the cycle new
      #139050 - 01/16/05 11:02 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

for about a week and felt no better, but did get more constipated from lack of insolubles I presume.

Guys, I am at a loss as to what foods are okay for me, how to pinpoint problem foods, and how to find an SFS

I know everyone is probably tired of me whining about this, but I am feeling no relief from what I'm trying. If only I could feel a little tiny relief, maybe I would have some hope. I am at a loss, though. I cannot for the life of me figure out what foods are hurtful or safe for my body since I am in pain and symptomatic 24/7! Bananas, veggies, soy, mushrooms, buckwheat, squash, who knows! Am I just stupid or what? I know I'm not stupid. I graduated from college with honors for pete's sake. So why can't I do this diet in a way that brings some relief?

Does this diet just not work for some people? Honestly?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: I tried breaking the cycle new
      #139052 - 01/16/05 11:06 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Are you not taking any SFS at all???!! Honestly that was what got me stablized the fastest. You already feel miserable all the time, so what's the worst that can happen if you don't tolerate the first one you try? Throw it out and try the next one. It is very important that you start taking an SFS immediately.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

SFS new
      #139053 - 01/16/05 11:16 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I'm currently taking 6 grams fiber worth of citrucel clear mix. I've been taking this pretty much for over a year. Before this website I had taken it for years, but the sugar free kind. I've stopped it periodically to try others (fiberchoice, fibercon, and benefiber) but have always returned to citrucel because the other either gave me worse cramps or no BM at all. I've also thought maybe taking nothing might work because maybe some bodies just can't tolerate any SFS. I know from the poll I did that there are others who aren't taking one for that reason. I didn't think you really needed one either?

I don't know Amanda. I feel so guilty because I am always posting such negative posts. Always whining and crying that I don't know what to do, and the advice I do get is often contradictory. I'm just one confused IBS mess

Maybe it's time to give you guys a break from me! I'm always taking up all the posts with my constant crying and what feels like begging for help. You guys are probably sorry I ever found this website!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: SFS new
      #139074 - 01/16/05 01:35 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Beth, don't you DARE give up!! And if conflicting advice is confusing you, then just go back to what Heather says, rather than our interpretation of what Heather says, or what works for us. Everybody is slightly different but Heather's approach helps everybody. So keep it simple and stay focused, hon. Your body will tell you what it needs, but only if you pay attention to what it's trying to tell you. Okay?

Hang in there and keep it simple! (oooh, I'm going to make that my new signature)

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: SFS new
      #139084 - 01/16/05 02:17 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I am really liking the acacia. People said to up it very slowly and they mean it! When I added a second dose too soon it was too much, but one evening does is working well for me! I highly recommend it.

I wouldn't worry about the little singular things some people have problems with. Get Heather's books and live by those. I personally don't have any additional food problems and so you might not either. C is very, very tough and you have to increase the insolubles and veggies. Don't worry about getting bloat since you already have it. For me I get bloated if I am C (even if I seem quite regular I can still need to go more. When I am going all I should then the bloat goes away. So I try not to single out the bloat but treat it as a symptom of an unhappy tummy in general.) Also you might never get rid of C if you can't relax and let go of the stress!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

You can double or even triple your SFS dose.... new
      #139185 - 01/16/05 08:52 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

so you're up to 12-18 grams or so. Don't do this all at once! But I'd start gradually increasing your Citrucel, and just keep going until you stabilize. People who are really prone to C tend to need the high end of a SFS dose. There are some folks up to about 25 grams a day of the Acacia, and then there's soluble and insoluble fiber in their diet on top of that.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: You can double or even triple your SFS dose.... new
      #139300 - 01/17/05 09:48 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I second everything Heather said, and I would also echo the others who talked about controlling your stress and anxiety. I think you are on to something when you say that you think the worrying is what is making you worse. It definitely could be! Have you thought about the hypno CDs? I'm almost done with the course, and I have noticed a tremendous change. Other things, like excersizing, volunteering, starting a book club, can help you take the focus off your IBS and put it back on your entire person. Think about it. And let your doctor know how stressed and anxious you've been feeling all the time -- maybe he or she has some suggestions.
~~Panda~~

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1843 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5268

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review