All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
BIG QUESTION! IBS and urination problems?
      #136778 - 01/10/05 08:59 AM
jujubeeof2

Reged: 12/21/04
Loc: California

I keep forgetting to ask this. Does anyone here have problems urinating due to their IBS? My problem is feeling like I have to go a lot, having hesitancy(takes me on average at least 20 second before anything comes out)and sometimes not feeling like I've emptied my bladder completely, so I push the rest out. I was diagnosed with having a urethral narrowing, but no one knows why, and then another dr said I do not have a narrowing, rather I have something called pelvic floor dysfunction which causes all of the muscles down there to be in a constant state of spasm, therefore making urination more difficult for me. About a month ago I had a botox injection put into my external urethral sphincter to try and relax that muscle, it did NOT help in the least and only made my bladder weaker. I also find it odd that it was about a week or so after having that procedure that all this IBS stuff came about that I never had before. I wonder now if there is a connection. Anyways, my urologist keeps doing dilations on me to widen the urethra, and they help sometimes, but when my IBS is acting up and I am C, I have the hardest time peeing. Just wondering if anyone else has this? I am so perplexed by all that my body is doing. Ugh!

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: BIG QUESTION! IBS and urination problems? new
      #136816 - 01/10/05 09:43 AM
dmiller

Reged: 12/20/04
Loc: VA, USA

Do you have any pain, or get a lot of UTI's? I was told a few years ago that I had interstitial cystitis, and that my bladder was "over nervous" (what ever that meant?). Anyway I've dealt with this, my bladder would often feel like it's swollen, and be painful, urination wasn't usually too painful, only if I had an infection of some sort, but sex was very painful (and still is a lot of the time).

I asked my Gastro doc about intercystitis and he said that a lot of gastro doctors don't believe in it and think that it is actually IBS that is causing the pain.

I did have a urologist stretch my urethra, and that helped a lot with not getting so many bladder infections (which I seem prone to). But did not do anything for the pain in my bladder.

Now that I'm doing this diet I do notice my bladder has been feeling a little better, so maybe it's all tied together somehow, anyone else have bladder problems?

Debra

#136822 - 01/10/05 09:54 AM
jujubeeof2

Nope, I've never had a UTI. My bladder never hurts, I just have the hardest time getting the urine out, and it's almost impossible if I'm C. I have had 6 urethral dilations and am going in for my 7th one today. I think it is all tied together, as everything is in such close proximity and when the rectum if full of stool or the colon os over dilated, I think it can put pressure on the bladder/urethra. It's just maddening to me.

--------------------

#136862 - 01/10/05 10:52 AM
Dawnann

Reged: 12/11/04

I was wondering about this also...when my IBS flares up, I often feel I have to urinate more frequently. Occasionally I have a "sore" bladder and I have had a few UTIs in my life but that is pretty obvious when it happens. No problems emptying though. I seem to have a lot of sensations that I once thought were related to my "female" organs that now I realize are gastro related instead.

#136901 - 01/10/05 12:11 PM
jamiep

Loc: Arroyo City Texas USA

Oh NO you're not alone. When my gidoc asked me last time if I had to push it get BMs out I told her no. After I got home I realized I push for not only BMs but to get the urine out. I guess I've been doing it for so long that I didn't even realize I was doing it. She also poked around my stomach and my bladder was sensitive. Will talk to her next time about it. Thanks for the post. It's nice to know I'm not alone.

Love,

Jamie

Re: Jamie? aka Princesspea new
      #136926 - 01/10/05 01:34 PM
jujubeeof2

Do you find that you have a hard time starting your flow of urine, as well as having to push to empty? I now am really thinking that I have been suffering from IBS for quite a long time, just not as bad as I have the past month, and didn't really know it. I am betting that the IBS is at least 80% of my urination problems. Gosh, it's nice to know I am not alone in this. I do wish though that none of us had to suffer this!!!!

--------------------

#136987 - 01/10/05 03:44 PM
jamiep

Juju,

I do have trouble starting it most of the time and definatly have to push to finish and keep the flow going sometimes. I'm drinking so much water you'd think it wouldn't be a problem but...I am glad I am not the only one. I was starting to worry about once I recognized the pushing. It was just such a habit. I don't know when I started. Did yours start with your IBS or do you know.

Love,

Jamie

#137006 - 01/10/05 04:20 PM
parellichica

Reged: 12/29/04

Oh I totally have problems urinating, like pushing out and starting. It's crazy but I'm sure it's related to my IBS.

#137027 - 01/10/05 05:15 PM
jujubeeof2

It started right after I had my hysterectomy 7 months ago, but the thing with my bowels started around that time too, now that I think of it. It just wasn't as pronounced as it has been. I swear it's all related! Already there are at least 3 of us with IBS and problems urinating. Too strange to be a coincidence. There was one time about a week ago that I was so C, I could not even pee at all until I got the BM out. I was miserable, needless to say!

--------------------

#137030 - 01/10/05 05:29 PM
jamiep

That is strange that there are three of us just on one board. I had a hysterectomy over 15 years ago but I already had IBS. It was not dx'd yet but, I had it for sure. I wonder if the third member of our group had a hysterectomy too. Just a thought.

Love,

Jamie

Re: parellichica Question new
      #137031 - 01/10/05 05:32 PM
jamiep

Hi!

Welcome to our little group. I have a personal question...have you had a hysterectomy? Two of us have and I was just wondering.

Love,

Jamie

#137036 - 01/10/05 05:45 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

It's entirely possible that there's a connection. I've read about something that's called Irritable Bladder Syndrome. I sometimes have the same problem but for me it's a side effect of some of my meds.

Do you do Kegel exercises to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles? Especially important during flu season so you don't accidently pee when you cough! (Been there, done that!)

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#137081 - 01/10/05 08:33 PM
Computr821

Reged: 12/02/04
Loc: University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA/ Baltimore, MD

I've had the constant need to pee feeling before, and my urologist said I had an inflamed prostate which was pressing down on the bladder muscles too much. I can't prove it, since it was before the IBS diagnosis, but I'm pretty sure all the pushing for the IBS-C has something to do with it.

--------------------
Why'd you have to go and make me so constipated?
--'Weird' Al Yankovic, "A Complicated Song"

Yes! new
      #137084 - 01/10/05 08:37 PM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

I have had problems with urination pain and pelvic pain since last summer, when I had a *horrible* UTI and yeast infection at the same time!! Physical therapists told me that I also had the muscle spasm problem, which was proabably exacerbated by the IBS. I went through a lot of physical therapy, and it's still not perfect

I think somewhere in one of the newsletters, there was an article relating to hypnotherapy that showed improvements in urination problems in IBS patients...I will go back and see if I can find it.

--------------------
~Angela

#137098 - 01/10/05 11:35 PM
dnctla89

Reged: 12/24/04

I have urination problems too...not getting started or going....just finishing....I have to push the last out too. Have no idea if this is normal or not. And I can just empty my bladder and think I am totally done and then sneeze, cough, laugh, or jump and push out more. Getting on my daughters trampoline is just totally out of the question! I have only had one child and am 33 so don't really feel those are to blame. I always thought I just had a weak bladder due to coughing from smoking (smoke free now for 3 years!). I did kegals....and did not help. Also found out that if you drink any type of diet soda it can cause all kinds of havic for bladders and that giving it up can change urination problems drastically. I haven't so far gotten that far. Getting ready to try tho. How bout anyone else? Diet soda?

Carrie

#137432 - 01/11/05 04:34 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Yes! I get those weird feelings like I have to go all the time but then don't empty out sometimes too. I'm also convinced it's connected to IBS. I think when you're constipated it presses against your bladder... just my own theory.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

yes, I have pee problems too new
      #137456 - 01/11/05 05:34 PM
angela3

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Texas, near Fort Worth)

I also have trouble getting started peeing especially if I have to hold it for too long, it is a little embarassing if I go to the restroom with ladies that I don't know very well, because they sit down, and you hear the swish sound of them starting to go, and I am just sitting there waiting for it to start coming out, and then when it starts coming out I really have to push it out. What helps me a little is making an effort to relax my "pee" muscles.

I also have a constant pressure on my bladder when I am laying (lying) down. And that causes me to have to get up about 7 times, before I actually fall asleep and, each time it is just a little dribble that comes out.

Just FYI, I am 26, IBS-D, had pain during intercouse about 3 years ago, and have not tried having sex since then. I am very afraid because the pain was awful. I am going to the gynocologist on Jan. 27th to see if she can find anything wrong, other than IBS, but I went about a 1 1/2 years ago and she did not find anything wrong,so I am trying a different doctor.

Are you taking any prescription anti-spasmodics new
      #137457 - 01/11/05 05:49 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

like Bentyl, Levsin, Donnatol? They're prescribed a lot for IBS, but they can cause urinary side effects. Just wondering....

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Are you taking any prescription anti-spasmodics new
      #137458 - 01/11/05 05:53 PM
angela3

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Texas, near Fort Worth)

Heather,

I know your question is directed to jujubeeof2, but I just want to mention that I agree with what you are suggesting, when I was on Librax (about 2 years, ago), it made my inability to pee very bad. But I still have "pee" problems, even after being off of the Librax for these 2 years.

I'm not taking any antispasmodics new
      #137566 - 01/12/05 09:03 AM
jujubeeof2

I don't want to, even though my dr gave me a an rx for levsin, I don't want to take anything!

--------------------

Re: yes, I have pee problems too new
      #137569 - 01/12/05 09:09 AM
jujubeeof2

I get that pressure on my bladder as well, no pain, just pressure. I also can feel lots of pressure even if there is just a little bit of urine in there, and then there are times when my bladder is totally full and I'm hardly aware of it and empty fine. This is another reason I am convinced that the IBS plays a huge role in urinary difficulties. Look how many of us have urination problems AND IBS? No coincidence I think!

--------------------

Re: yes, I have pee problems too new
      #137609 - 01/12/05 10:35 AM
jamiep

I Have the same problem. I must get up 5 times before I fall asleep because it feels so much like I have to pee and just a little comes out.

Love,

Jamie

#137826 - 01/12/05 03:23 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Kree!! I was just thinking about you yesterday! Good to see your smiling face!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: parellichica Question new
      #137881 - 01/12/05 07:16 PM
parellichica

Reged: 12/29/04

Nope I'm only 15... hehe, I guess that's a little young to get one.

#138176 - 01/13/05 06:29 PM
dpratt68

Reged: 01/09/05
Loc: MA

I am taking Bentyl. When I first started taking it it made me very dizzy and tired so I stopped. I continued with the SFS but it didn't seem to be doing enough so I tried the Bentyl before bed and things have been going well. As far as urinary problems I am urinating all the time due to the large volumes of water I am drinking. No problem here

You described me... new
      #138180 - 01/13/05 06:55 PM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

I always have to go pee - I used to get up 8 or 9 times during the night - I started taking Detrol LA for overactive bladder and it does help, somewhat. I still get up 2 times or so. And I have to sit there for a minute before anything comes out...and then it would be a tiny little stream and I had to literally push to get it out! I HATE IT. And then I leave the toilet still feeling like I have to pee, but I am so sick of sitting there waiting for it that I just give up and try to fall back asleep while I'm miserable!

I know this doesn't help you at all, I was just surprised to see your post because it really relates to me. I would say try Detrol LA, it definately helped me for awhile...but I feel like it's fading and I'm getting immune to it or something!

--------------------
~Cara~

Re: I'm not taking any antispasmodics new
      #138269 - 01/14/05 06:05 AM
AnneV

Reged: 06/10/04

I do not know if this would be helpful to you, but I took an herbal antispasmotic. I found that the side effects of the prescription drugs were just to harsh for me. This was prescribed to me from my doctor. It is called Intesol by Metagenics. You order it directly from Metagenics, but have seen this on the web. Anne

#138324 - 01/14/05 08:03 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I get this when my IBS is acting up. I feel like I'm going to explode if I don't pee right NOW, than I sit and just tickle a little and thats it! Than, about 5 minutes later, I have the same feeling! It seems to happen a lot when I'm bloated also. I've asked the dr's about this before and they never have an answer for me.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Michele new
      #138394 - 01/14/05 09:23 AM
jujubeeof2

The onlu dr that has ever confirmed that the IBS plays a part on how we urinate, was my urologist(whom I saw this week and asked him about it). He said that women with IBS, especially those with C, have a constant pressure on the bladder and urethra that impedes the flow of urine, almost like a blockage. The stool sits in the rectum after an incomplete evacuation and puts tons of pressure on the urethra, almost closing it off. It was amazing how he explained it. My urination problems are also WAY worse when I'm bloated. I think that's because the distention causes the bladder contractions to stop or become weak. You notice that when you go to have a bowel movement, you can't do both at the same time. Our bodies are not made that way. Usually the BM has to come out first and then urination occurs. Well, for us with IBS, it's like our bladders are constantly waiting for the BM that may never come, so the urination is slowed, sometimes even halted temporarily. It's awful what IBS can do to us!

--------------------

Re: Julie new
      #138500 - 01/14/05 01:10 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Great explanation, that makes sense to me! Sounds like you have a good dr, at least they take time to explain things!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#140155 - 01/19/05 06:45 PM
david8463

Reged: 10/19/04
Loc: Florida

I spoke with an urologist about a month ago, as I too have had a problem -- a contant urge to go throughout the day. What I learned surprised me. I was told that many young children were taught very early by their mothers during the 50s and 60s to finish quickly when they were sent to the bathroom. This caused the child to force out his/her urine and waste, which is improper. Rather than forcing out, these children should have been taught to relax. This condition can follow a child into his/her adult life and can show up as urgency or that "gotta go-gotta go" feeling. What is needed is for the person is to relearn how to go -- by relaxing, not forcing. For some folks, this process can take as long as three years to learn. If after three months, there is no change, the next step is usually to send the patient to bio-feedback. The urologist said that this condition mimics IBS symptoms such as thin stools.

--------------------
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore will we not fear.

Just found this thread.........very interested. new
      #140896 - 01/22/05 07:51 AM
tierny

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Iowa

Hi Ladies, I was researching my "pain" and very frequent urination and came across Interstitial Cystitis. Then it mentioned in the article that it happens alot in people with IBS so thought I'd check Heather's website for anyone that might have mentioned it and this popped up. Plus, I read the ? about someone having a hysterectomy. I am 46 now but had a total hysterectomy 7 years ago. I am very interested in anyone that has or might have interstitial Cystitis. It's a very new subject to me and I haven't gone to a Dr. yet about it---the tests listed don't sound very fun and to be honest I'm not to keen on the idea of starting in with Dr.'s again to try to "find out" what is wrong with me in that area! Please let me know if you are dealing with this problem and any suggestions for self-treatment, dr. visits, etc. you may have concerning this issue. Thanks a bunch, Ladies!

Not computer literate and put my msg. down below--Please Read new
      #140905 - 01/22/05 08:14 AM
tierny

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Iowa

I posted a ? about Interstitial Cystitis in this thread but it's down at the bottom--from "tierny". I don't know how to bump it up to the top and I would like to make sure anyone that could answer some ?'s see it. So, please look down at the bottom if you could help me out! Thanks again!

#141419 - 01/23/05 12:26 AM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Hi David, I do take anti-spasmodic. Levisn/Hyoscyamnine. I could not make it day to day without it. Some people won; take it because ithas an after effect of drowsiness. I just take it and roll with the flow. everything I eat gives me gas, so wtihout it, I would have a poor quality of life.
I love the stuff, hope ithelps you! They make itin a timed release caplet.

#141420 - 01/23/05 12:29 AM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Hi David, I do take anti-spasmodic. Levisn/Hyoscyamnine. I could not make it day to day without it. Some people won; take it because it has an after effect of drowsiness. I just take it and roll with the flow. everything I eat gives me gas, so without it, I would have a poor quality of life.
I love the stuff, hope it helps you! They make it in a timed release caplet.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 386 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12277

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review