All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS and the "Atkins diet"?
      #1359 - 02/24/03 02:48 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I'm full of questions today. My husband and his folks are having good success eating on a modified type of Atkins diet. They have a bad history of cholesterol/high blood pressure and not only are they losing weight on this diet but all that is getting better too! Well, I knew I could not really do this diet with IBS and the more I learn here I see even moreso, that is true. But I feel like I've been "conditioned" that eating all these carbs and starches is just going to turn to pure sugar in my system and store itself as fat there! My family is telling me to forget all that and eat whatever keeps me healthy and comfortable, but it's still a concern of mine. What are you all's thoughts on this? For the record, my husband and I exercise a lot and I am not currently "overweight" but just exactly where I want to be, don't want to put anything on either. Thanks!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Atkins article for you new
      #1368 - 02/24/03 03:55 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - This is a link to a recent article about the Atkins diet and health concerns - Atkins article There's good info there about the carb/insulin theory and lots of other information as well.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Atkins article for you new
      #1372 - 02/24/03 04:57 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Thanks Heather, that article he is disputing is one of the very articles they were given to explain why they SHOULD do this diet. Well, I will pass this along. I will say that my husband is not doing strict Atkins, I'm glad for that after reading this, but he is mostly eating meats, vegetables, and whole grains, a lot of which I cannot tolerate right now. He is avoiding processed and refined flours and sugars, and starches, so we are sort of on opposite ends of the diet spectrum. But that is fine, we have different needs right now. Thank you for your reply!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Re: IBS and the "Atkins diet"? new
      #1386 - 02/24/03 11:50 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

my doctor told me to just watch my portions in order not to gain weight. I work out three or four times a week. I ALWAYS work out, even before the diet, it is my thing. As for the atkins diet, as far as I am concerned, the ibs is trhe only diet I will ever follow, because of the safe foods. It just makes sense to meto stick to it as best I CAN.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 954 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2799

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review