All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Endometriosis and IBS
      #133857 - 12/30/04 03:36 PM
Saveena

Reged: 11/22/04
Loc: Texas

When I was orignially diagnosed with endometriosis, I was told that IBS is often a "side-effect" of the endo. I just reread Heather's exclusion list and saw that if I have endo, then I don't have IBS. This seems contrary to what I have experienced. I have all the symptoms of type-A IBS, the diet helps greatly, and my IBS seemed to disappear when the endo was in "remission" after surgery. Could it be possible that my IBS is being caused by my endometriosis?

--------------------
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Well, you can have both.... new
      #133872 - 12/30/04 06:03 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

what's not uncommon is that someone has endo but they're misdiagnosed with IBS. In that case, taking steps to control IBS won't do anything to help, because the person doesn't actually have IBS, they have endo, and that requires different treatment.

You could have both, and IBS could certainly be worsened by endo because there is a definite hormonal factor with IBS. I don't know that I've heard of IBS being caused by endo in the first place, though treatments for endo like lasering off the tissue or exploratory abdominal surgery can certainly cause an insult to the gut, and that can cause IBS.

So, you could have both conditions, and the symptoms of IBS may be intertwined with your endo - that's certainly possible.

I just like to be sure that someone who is newly diagnosed with IBS has endo ruled out first, especially if they have suspicous symptoms. Otherwise, they can have the endo go untreated and that's not good...

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Endometriosis and IBS new
      #133906 - 12/30/04 08:52 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I had endo really badly since I was an adolescent. I'd been rushed to the emergency room a few times, the most memorable when I was 14 and was made to wait 4 hours doubled over in pain, after which I was presented by the doctor with one pill of advil. (!!! )

Birth control was suggested to me to control the pain and severity of the cramping, and although I couldn't take the pill the depo shot has been a lifesaver for me. For the last 5 years I've been period free and endo free. As a result I've gained 5-6 good days every month when otherwise I would have been sidelined with blinding cramps and full blown D.

If you haven't, try a course of birth control that might lessen the severity and duration of your periods. It's just a thought, but it worked wonderfully for me. Good luck--

~nelly~

#134210 - 01/01/05 03:14 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

What is the depo shot? I have endo too.

#134231 - 01/01/05 04:40 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Hi Digby,

I had problems taking the pill because it has estrogen. I bled every day of the month and had all the cramping associated with my period, and got blinding headaches. I tried over 10 different pills (I was treated in France, where they have 100s of approved versions of the pill, compared to 10s in the States), even the minipill, and had the same reaction. So when the depo shot was approved in this country, I jumped on it.

Depo is Depo Provera, a progestrone shot once every 3 months. You don't get pregnant, and after the 2nd shot you don't get periods. It costs me $45 every 3 months with no health insurance at Planned Parenthood (cheaper than the pill!).

Here is some basic info: Depo. The things you need to watch in terms of side effects are some weight gain and depression, and you need to up your calcium intake (which I do anyway, I'm a D ).

But it's totally been a lifesaver for me. And I'm a big advocate of the shot to all of my friends, and my guy friends' girlfriends. It's amazing to me how many people haven't heard of it! 5-6 days a month of PMS, pain, D attacks and blood are gone, gone, gone. That's 60-72 days a year I've gained. (!!!)

~nelly~

Re: Well, you can have both.... new
      #139383 - 01/17/05 01:57 PM
Saveena

Thank you, Heather!

--------------------
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

#139384 - 01/17/05 02:01 PM
Saveena

I cannot take birth control pills. I have the same problem you do with bleeding and they make me so emotionally unstable that I cannot even work. After the first surgery, I started a Lupron Depo shot, which put me into false menopause. I decided to go off the Depo shots because the hot flashes during a Houston summer nearly killed me! Plus, it was really irritating to have no sex drive! LOL

Since starting the diet for IBS, it has cut down on my symptoms alot. I do notice that things get a bit dicey when I'm ovulating, but over all the diet has helped tremendously. If I can get my butt into Yoga, then I might be sitting pretty! ;-)

--------------------

Misdiagnosed with Endo INSTEAD of IBS new
      #139716 - 01/18/05 03:04 PM
itgreyhound1

Reged: 07/27/04

I have the exact opposite problem...the doctor thought I had endo and did the sonogram, and found nothing--they debated doing the laproscopy but didn't think it was worth it. I had often suspected IBS but he wasn't having any of it. I was eventually diagnosed with IBS, and I don't think I had endo at all--he just wasn't informed enough about what a period with IBS feels like--it stinks!

I'm now on Seasonale, the 4 month pill, and I love it.

Re: Misdiagnosed with Endo INSTEAD of IBS new
      #144903 - 01/31/05 12:24 PM
Amy1973

Reged: 09/17/04
Loc: Mesa,AZ

I have a call into my doctor. But could this be endometriosis. I started my period Friday and I'm bleeding from my behind, I get bad rectal pain around the time of my period. This is about the third period I have notice this pattern. Now that I think back it probably has been going on longer, I just never thought much about it. I chalked it up to hormones and my constipation being worse on my periods.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 581 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1527

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review