All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Are there any men on this board who have IBS?
      #1330 - 02/24/03 09:27 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

I was just wondering if it is mostly us women who have IBS or if there are many men who suffer from it.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Are there any men on this board who have IBS? new
      #1337 - 02/24/03 10:59 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Nugget - If men get this, they're probably too "macho" to admit it to women! Yes, there have been a few men posting on here. If you back to past pages of the board, you'll find a few.
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#1381 - 02/24/03 10:59 PM
Shawna

Reged: 02/04/03
Loc: Middle of nowhere in the desert, Ca

Does anyone know why it is mostly women who suffer from IBS? Just wondering.....

--------------------
SLicK

#1398 - 02/25/03 07:37 AM
Nugget

I think it is because we tend to worry about our men too much. We are natural born worriers....at least I am.

Men and IBS new
      #1418 - 02/25/03 11:14 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

In the US, about 70% of the people diagnosed with IBS are women. There are various theories about this - one suggests that women are more likely to have the disorder because hormonal fluctuations can play a role, and women have more hormonal fluctuations than men. Another theory says that women are simply more likely to be diagnosed because they're more apt to see a doctor about the problem in the first place. So there may actually be just as many men out there with IBS as women, but they're invisible.

Interestingly, in India the men with IBS outnumber the women, which suggests that the second theory may be more accurate. People aren't counted as having an illness until they report the symptoms - if men are less likely to visit the doctor in the US, but women are less likely to visit the doctor in India, this could be skewing the statistics both ways.

I do hear from more women than men, but the men are definitely out there. And what's really unfortunate is that they're being totally ignored in most current research. The major pharmaceutical companies are conducting drug trials on women only at this point, so new drugs that come to market aren't even approved for men. They can be prescribed to men, but they aren't likely to have been tested on them at all. Given that this research is thus ignoring, at a minimum, one third of the IBS sufferers, I think this is awful.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Men and IBS new
      #1430 - 02/25/03 01:56 PM
juniorrachel

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: St. Louis, MO

i have two male friends who have something like IBS if not IBS but neither have gone to a doctor about it. i think you might be right... guys don't want to go get it checked out. also it seems that it's less severe with my friends. maybe the hormonal thing is just what makes it worse for some of us women?

beth

#1906 - 03/04/03 04:46 PM
miva

Reged: 03/04/03
Loc: Virginia

Hi, my name is Mike. I'm a 35 year old male, and new to the message boards. I was diagnosed with IBS 3 years ago, but I believe I have had some form of IBS since my early 20's. When I was frst diagnosed with IBS, I had no clue how to handle these new symptons I was encountering. Through some research, thankfully I found Heathers "Eating for IBS", which has been a blessing since, I was able to start trying new recipes and re-teaching myself how and what I could eat. I used to take anti-spasmadic prescription drugs (bentyle, generic for Levsin), but I haven't taken any mediacation in 6 months. However, I have had positive results from digestive enzymes and Acdophilus. I use a brand called Kyo-Dophilus, that I buy from GNC in the US. I have the IBS-D type of IBS. Until this past week, I haven't experienced any cramps or bloating for 5 months. I still struggle with stress, and my diet,but for most of the time I am able to control my symptons. I still have attacks, as we all do I guess, but I try to follow Heather's advice, follow a sound and safe diet, and work-out at the gym to ease attacks and from now on will look to this message board for additional advice. I am thankful that I found such a good forum on IBS.

Best Regards,
Mike Lowry

Hi Mike! new
      #1918 - 03/04/03 06:50 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Welcome to the board! Nice to see a man on board.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#1939 - 03/05/03 08:27 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Hi Mike - welcome to the IBS Family! Glad to hear you have just about everything under control. I know a lot of us wish we could say the same thing.

There aren't many male IBS types on this forum. It'll be good to get a man's point-of-view on this affliction. Please don't be shy about posting anything--and I mean anything. We've heard it all before. We'll try to help you w/anything we can.

Again, welcome!

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#1947 - 03/05/03 09:39 AM
Nugget

Hi Mike! Welcome to the board! There is a lot of good advice here. It will be interesting to hear how you, as a man, deal with the same things that us women are going through with IBS-D. I'm 35 also, happily married, no kids...although our 2 dogs do count, and live in Wyoming.

Again...welcome!

#1963 - 03/05/03 12:48 PM
susaloh

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Kiel, Germany

Let me be a little bit mean for once, just between us ladies... Interestingly, there are lots of men around on other IBS boards - the more scientific/theoretical the board, the higher the percentage of men! Maybe those men who acknowledge their IBS can't believe something as simple and basic as a proper DIET (diet's are what women are on, aren't they) could fix them! Of course there are exceptions, like Mike!!!

Cheers
Susaloh

#2066 - 03/06/03 06:59 PM
miva

Thank you for the warm welcome! Best Regards, Mike.

#2070 - 03/06/03 07:09 PM
miva

Hi Sharon - thank you for the nice welcome! I'll do my best to share some advice from a man's point of view, and I promise not to be shy about posting anything. Again, thanks!
Mike

#2090 - 03/07/03 03:01 AM
Sweetwater

Reged: 03/01/03
Loc: NJ, USA

I think most guys are too scared to get checked out by a doctor. They don't wanna have a colonoscopy done, b/c thats weird for them, if you know what I mean. I think my boyfriend has IBS, and thats the reason why he doesn't wanna go to the doctor! LOL It could be IBS, but it also could be a bunch of other stuff!!!!! What a wuss!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1317 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3413

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review