All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
I've been coming out of the closet!
      #131178 - 12/16/04 05:07 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

If anyone remembers from a long time ago, I never told ANYONE about my IBS. Well, lately, I've been telling my family, friends, etc. Anyone except people at work (they are a bunch of immature jerks, but that's a WHOLE other story). Anyway, I just have to say it feels so good! OMG - I can't believe how much of a relief it is. It definitely takes away from the anxiety and awkwardness. I don't just go around blurting it out, BTW! (Hey everyone! Guess what I have? LOL) Usually, it comes up when food is involved and I say I don't eat dairy (why does EVERYTHING have dairy?), they ask if I'm lactose intolerant, and I say no I have IBS. And each and every time I survived, no one said anything mean or rude, they didn't try to fix me (telling me what I should be doing), lightning didn't come down and strike me, nothing, nada.

Well, I just had to share that! I really consider this another step in my progress. It has been exactly 2 years now since I discovered Heather, and my life is completely changed. I can't believe how different I feel from 2 years ago! Thanks Heather! And thanks to everyone here!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I've been coming out of the closet! new
      #131204 - 12/16/04 06:41 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

So glad your feeling so well and finding relief by letting others know what you are dealing with. I have a problem trying to explain this IBS too, not because I'm ashamed, but because I'm afraid others will react like it's no big deal. "just a little tummy ache". "I could have cancer after all"! People who don't have this will never understand the hold that it maintains over every aspect of your life.

So, Mags, besides following Heidi's IBS diet, what else are you or have you found useful: a certain probiotic, a certain SFS or dosage, digestive enzymes, cal/mag, fish oil? Any other things besides the diet? I'm struggling big time, but I'm a C right now, not a D like you. But perhaps you still may have something that helps.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#131223 - 12/16/04 10:28 PM
Rob NYC

Reged: 09/12/04
Loc: New York, NY

Hey Mags- Haven't spoken to you since I met you at the fall sprawl. I'm going through a tough time right now. I just started dating a new girl and I'm really holding back from talking about my situation. It's been so stressful that I almost have attacks when I'm out on the dates because I don't want to really get into the full details right away. Not something you want to bring up when someone is trying to get to know you better. It's been really rough and I just can't seem to gauge when it's going to be the right time. I just hope I don't have a major incident when we are out together. I just can't forget watching her eat a grill cheese w/bacon and a cup of coffee! Right then and there I knew it would take a bit of explaining down the road.

Anyway....we'll see how it goes. How are you by the way?

I'm going to Vegas again for a convention in January. Hopefully it won't be too cold. Anyway, look forward to seeing everyone again the near future.

Rob (not the shoe guy)

#131325 - 12/17/04 09:55 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

If anyone remembers from a long time ago, I never told ANYONE about my IBS. Well, lately, I've been telling my family, friends, etc. Anyone except people at work (they are a bunch of immature jerks, but that's a WHOLE other story). Anyway, I just have to say it feels so good! OMG - I can't believe how much of a relief it is. It definitely takes away from the anxiety and awkwardness. I don't just go around blurting it out, BTW! (Hey everyone! Guess what I have? LOL) Usually, it comes up when food is involved and I say I don't eat dairy (why does EVERYTHING have dairy?), they ask if I'm lactose intolerant, and I say no I have IBS. And each and every time I survived, no one said anything mean or rude, they didn't try to fix me (telling me what I should be doing), lightning didn't come down and strike me, nothing, nada.

Well, I just had to share that! I really consider this another step in my progress. It has been exactly 2 years now since I discovered Heather, and my life is completely changed. I can't believe how different I feel from 2 years ago! Thanks Heather! And thanks to everyone here!

Mags...that is wonderful.. I'm so glad you are able to open up to people about it... I know if made a world of difference when I did. Yeah for Mags!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#131327 - 12/17/04 09:57 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

Hey Mags- Haven't spoken to you since I met you at the fall sprawl. I'm going through a tough time right now. I just started dating a new girl and I'm really holding back from talking about my situation. It's been so stressful that I almost have attacks when I'm out on the dates because I don't want to really get into the full details right away. Not something you want to bring up when someone is trying to get to know you better. It's been really rough and I just can't seem to gauge when it's going to be the right time. I just hope I don't have a major incident when we are out together. I just can't forget watching her eat a grill cheese w/bacon and a cup of coffee! Right then and there I knew it would take a bit of explaining down the road.

Anyway....we'll see how it goes. How are you by the way?

I'm going to Vegas again for a convention in January. Hopefully it won't be too cold. Anyway, look forward to seeing everyone again the near future.

Rob (not the shoe guy)

Hi Rob (not the shoe guy)... that is TOO FUNNY!!

Good luck with your new lady friend.... I wish you the best. I'm sure she will be fine with it.... and once you do tell her... she will go out of her way to make sure you eat safe.... good way to get home cooked meals too..hehehe

Have fun in Vegas in Jan... your so lucky....we wanna go back so bad!! But we will see you again at Fall Sprawl!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#131329 - 12/17/04 10:03 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I know what you mean. The more people that I tell, the easier it gets and the more liberated I feel! I hate lying and people sometimes ask more and more questions depending on what I say I can't eat.

So at my BF's family's place last weekend I told them that I have IBS. They kept asking why I wasn't eating the cheese, then the salad, and then the desserts. It was so much easier saying that I have IBS and they have no idea what that means so they just let me eat what I knew was safe. YAY!

#131344 - 12/17/04 10:51 AM
LittleLamb

Reged: 07/22/04
Loc: USA

Hi Rob -

This is my opinion, not that you asked for it!

Don't sweat it. I would casually mention it sooner rather than later. If you wait and wait - it makes it seem like a huge deal and you will have more anxiety about it. Just treat it as normal - you are not dying, you don't have a horrible secret - you just happend to have a chronic health condition that dictates you make certain food choices. Big Deal! Who knows, she might have a friend or a loved one who has IBS already!

If this lady ends up not liking you because of IBS - then phooey on her. She's not for you. If she is turned off by such a small taste of adversity, she would not be very understanding or supportive of you during flare ups and attacks. You deserve to be with a supportive and compassionate lady.

My husband has an arthritic-type condition called ankylosing spondylitis. It is quite crippling when he has an attack and can severely limit his activities. (Sounds familiar to us IBS people, huh?) He worried so much as a young man that he would have a difficult time finding a lady who would be willing to marry him with this chronic health problem.

When I met him, he told me about this condition. I didn't care. I thought he was such a wonderful, compassionate, loving, funny and genuinely amazing guy. I knew that the AS might cause us problems or limit his activities at times, but let's face it - anything can happen in life to any of us. We can become permanently disabled, disfigured, chronically ill, etc. You have to love the person inside - their very soul. I didn't look at my DH and say "wow, he has such healthy joints!" I looked at his heart, his character, his mind.

After we married, I developed IBS. He has been amazingly supportive, caring and loving. He is my advocate in restaurants, at family gatherings and at people's homes. He reads labels for me. He tries new soy products with me. He helps me when I am having an attack. He gives me massages at the end of his long work day (they really help reduce my attacks). I think that his having a chronic disease has helped him be a more loving and compassionate person. It has helped him be a fantastic husband.

I am so blessed and happy that my husband didn't judge me by my intestines!

Yay for Mags!! I am so proud of you!!! -nt- new
      #131410 - 12/17/04 04:52 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Mags, thats a huge step, what a relief to have it out in the open! new
      #131457 - 12/17/04 10:19 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

#131573 - 12/18/04 09:01 PM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

mag 2003 thats great you told everyone. i wish i could do the same thing to. i just told my realtives only. some realtives are very understanding like my wife is. jasper

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1355 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8331

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review