Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Dealing with family Emergency with IBS - D
      #1309 - 02/23/03 10:15 PM
paintlady

Reged: 02/10/03
Loc: Columbia, CA

Hi to everyone this is Paintlady,
Had a bad week, my husband in hospital again (Chest pains and had another angi test to check heart arteries) Had to travel 60 miles from our home, that's the closest hospital does this test.
Sooooo Stressful when I need to be there for my family and
trying to deal with IBS. Luckily I had some safe foods ready
so I packed my suitcase and small ice chest full of rice, soy milk, french bread and bananas. Hospital food is so not IBS doable. Did find Hot Water By the coffee machine, Ha ha for my mint tea I brought with me. When we returned home I let my guard down and cried. They can't fix my husband's clogged artery it is block by a stent they put in 2 years ago. He is on another medication to desolve the blockage, if it doesn't work he will have to have bypass surgery. I'm so scared for him, and worried that my IBS will get in the way of my being there for him 100%.
Was great to get back to this message board, first time in my 25 yrs of struggle with IBS I feel someone knows how I feel. My Husband is great, so supportive. Well that's all just needed to talk, thanks for listening. Anyone have travel tips for dealing with IBS away from home.
Paintlady

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Dealing with family Emergency with IBS - D new
      #1315 - 02/24/03 06:07 AM
Sue48

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: The Sunflower State: Kansas

Dear Paintlady....I am sending you a great big hug! Squeeze...Hang in there. You are doing the right thing of taking care of yourself so that you can be a support to your hubby.
Thoughts are w/ you.
Sue

--------------------
Sue

#1318 - 02/24/03 07:48 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Hi PaintLady - you live about 45 minutes from me in Groveland. Anyway, some tips for you while your husband is in the hospital. All hospital rooms have bathrooms for the patients, so don't stress too much about D--the bathroom is just a few steps away. I know your husband understands it's difficult for you. But you know that stress is a big trigger for you.

As for foods and eating out if you have to, order rice or potatoes, plenty of bread, make some ibs safe cakes and put them in the freezer already sliced and wrapped so you can just pop them out of the freezer into a tote bag or ice chest and take them with you. Also instant oatmeal packs are good for the hospital because you can always get hot water somewhere near a nurses' station. How about rice krispie treats individually wrapped or make them yourself. The recipe is always on the box of Rice Krispies (or the store brand is always about $1 cheaper). Can you tolerate peeled raw apples? If so, take a paring knife so you can peel the skin off before you eat it. Or even better, make a batch of applesauce or buy some snack packs of it and take them w/you.

I posted a bunch of recipes yesterday on the Recipe Board. Maybe some of them would help if you made them ahead (if you have the time, that is). If I think of anything else, I'll post you.

Good luck.
Sharon in Pine Mountain Lake

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#1356 - 02/24/03 02:37 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Paintlady,
Good luck, want you to know I'm thinking of you as are many others here. I find mini pretzels are a good safe snack and easy to find and store.
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#1378 - 02/24/03 07:38 PM
paintlady

Thank you everyone for the good info.
Sharon we are close neighbors. Thanks for the good thoughts, cake in the fridge and instant oatmeal packs tips. Not sure about rice krispie treats, I though they were made with butter? (not good for me) if not made with butter, yea something else I can eat! I can't wait to check out your recipes.
Sue thanks for the hug and encouraging words.
Kinoz (Kerrie) Thanks for good thoughts and the mini pretzels tip.
Paintlady

Re: Another good snack tip new
      #1380 - 02/24/03 08:41 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Paintlady,
I just thought of this: rice crackers - just not the cheese flavour. They are really low fat and IBS safe.
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Re: Rice Krispie Treats new
      #1394 - 02/25/03 07:29 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Hi Paint Lady - I just happened to have some Rice Krispie Treats. Didn't think they had butter or margerine, but they do. It's about half way down the list. If you make them yourself, I don't think you need to put in butter or margerine. The marshmellows keep them together, don't they?

Here's the recipe off the store brand box of Crispie Rice:

40 lg marshmallows
5 c crispie rice
1/4 c margerine.

Butter (or spray) 13x9x2 baking pan. Melt margerine in large saucepan over low heat. Add marshmallows stirring constantly until melted. Remove from heat. Quickly add cereal,, stirring until all pcs are evenly coated. Press into prepared pan w/back of buttered spoon. Cool. Cut into Squares.

Microwave Directions: Butter 13x9x2 baking pan. melt margerine and marshmallows in large microwave safe bowl on high 2 min stirring every min. Quickly add cereal, stirring until all pcs are evenly coated. Press into prepared pan with back of buttered spoon. Cool. Cut into squares.

You can use the butter spray to prepare the pan and the back of the spoon. Don't understand why you need butter in the marshmallows but you can probably use butter buds--the kind you dissolve in hot water instead. I think I'll try it. They;re pretty expensive to buy and I have at least one treat a day. Just because I can eat things doesn't mean that everyone else can, too! Silly me!
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

I use a little canola oil... new
      #1414 - 02/25/03 10:50 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I think the marshmallows might be a huge sticky mess without a little oil in there. I think I only use about 2T canola oil for the whole batch - I can't taste that there's butter missing at all.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Rice Krispie Treats new
      #1477 - 02/26/03 01:46 PM
paintlady

Thanks for your help and consern.
May be I can adapt the recipe like you suggested.
Paintlady

Re: I use a little canola oil... new
      #1479 - 02/26/03 01:51 PM
paintlady

thanks Heather, I'll give it a try.
thanks for your great books and this message board too.
Paintlady

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5553 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5085

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review