All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I know I have no right to complain but...
      #12945 - 07/01/03 07:22 PM
jojofood

Reged: 06/18/03

I was diagnosed six weeks ago with IBS, and I immediately stopped eating dairy, wheat, red meat, alcohol, etc. The dairy was the hardest to give up--it's a love affair I've had since childhood. Anyways, of course, the symptoms went away almost overnight. Then....what do I do tonight? I ATE A SLICE OF SUPREME PIZZA! I'm sitting here, hurled over in pain, wanting to puke, and I'm asking myself WHY?

This is my first post and I'm in no way asking for any sympathy, but I'm wondering if anyone else has "fallen off the wagon" soon after their diagnosis. I ask because I'm wondering if I still actually think my IBS isn't a real problem, like I'm in denial or something.

Anyways, thanks for listening...

Jo

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I know I have no right to complain but... new
      #12946 - 07/01/03 08:35 PM
Chris

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Kansas

I have fallen on the wagon several times during the first 3 months after my diagnoses last July, I am sure other people have fallen of the wagon once or twice. Try something called cola syrup for the nausea, you can find it a places like Osco or Walgreens. Hope you fell better
soon.

#12947 - 07/01/03 08:55 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Oh geez, join the club! I think everyone falls off the wagon, whether it's one month or ten years after diagnosis. I've had IBS for decades, and I STILL fall off the wagon. It's just so easy to think, when you're feeling good, that you'll continue to feel that way no matter what. It's hard to imagine being in pain and suffering when you're healthy and happy, and that piece of pizza (or onion rings, or cheesecake...) is staring you in the face.

Give yourself a break, and don't worry about it. IBS is hard enough to deal with - you don't need to beat yourself up for being human on top of it. Just concentrate on getting back on track and feeling better. Have some hot peppermint tea and extra soluble fiber, and be nice to yourself.

And welcome to the board!

- Heather (who has fallen off the wagon so many times she has tire tracks on her ass where the wagon rode over her)

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#12948 - 07/01/03 09:01 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Look--I shouldn't even post this, I'm a moderator, and if Heather wants to scold me for not setting a good example I'll deserve it--but I ate potato chips today. Lots of them. And I'll probably pay tomorrow...but when Dad said, "We need some junk food around here--let's go to the store," I went. And got potato chips (and fruit bars, not ice cream, and ground turkey, not ground beef--but still). I guess what I'm saying is, we've all got our weaknesses. So yeah, I'm sympathetic, and I sincerely hope you're feeling much better tomorrow.

#12949 - 07/01/03 09:14 PM
Crow

Reged: 05/31/03
Loc: Adelaide, South Australia

Yep. Fell off the wagon last weekend. Got a little too sociable at some social events, and to top it off ate some cheescake (curse cheescake, it tastes so good) on Monday. It was all downhill from there. Still, tomorrow's another day and things may be better then. Take care.

#12952 - 07/01/03 10:40 PM
cloudygirl

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Washington

Hi,
Don't feel bad that you fell off the wagon. I too, fall off the wagon, and pay the price. Check out the recipe exchange board, it has great recipies that are safe. It's a good way to figure out what other foods bother you. I hope you feel better.

#12967 - 07/02/03 06:55 AM
Laurie

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Houston, TX

I fall off the wagon often. I often sit there and think are these cheese enchiladas, chile con queso, chalupa, taco, refried beans, and mexican rice worth it? Sometimes I think they are and then I curse myself while I'm paying for it. Mexican food is my weekness. I too once had a love affair with cheese. Nothing like Rat Trap cheese and Ritz crackers with pickles on the side. I haven't found a soy cheese replacement I can tolerate with my taste buds. So every now and then I eat some FF saltines and then a couple slices of cheese to satisfy the urge.

--------------------
Laurie

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission - Eleanor Roosevelt

#12973 - 07/02/03 07:35 AM
ColbySD

Reged: 06/09/03
Loc: San Diego, Ca

I did a bad thing on Sunday night.........Had a ice cream sandwich . Made for a mad dash to the bathroom Monday morning, but after that it was over (thank god for small favors). I have been feeling so great this last week, I almost feel like my old self again.
I am sure there will be more ice cream sandwiches in the future with my name on it, I guess we all have our weaknesses

Colby

--------------------
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.
--Bern Williams

#12982 - 07/02/03 08:03 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

In all honesty I have NOT cheated yet on this diet. It's not worth it to me. I've dieted in the past for weight loss and have 'cheated' before, but this is different. I'm anal, stubborn and have great willpower when it comes to food now. I've shifted my focus and look at food now as a fuel needed to sustain my body and life.

"Eat to live, don't live to eat."

Yep, I do have my treats, but they aren't the bad treats that I used to have (my red flag foods were: Doritos, Chocolate, Pizza, CHEEZY STICKS FROM PIZZA HUT!). It's only been a month, but rarely do I get urges to nosh on these foods. My boyfriend doesn't eat these foods in front of me (at his perogative, what a sweetie!) but even if he did, it wouldn't bother me.

I'm sure that I'll inadvertently 'cheat' but that will only be because I was a 'tard and didn't read a label or misinterpreted a label.

I feel healthier, I've lost weight and in general feel so much better about my overall being after being on this diet. Before, I was miserable because I know that I wasn't eating the right foods (because I didn't know what they were) AND I had to deal with IBS. Now I'm eating better, which helps my IBS. I can't tell you how great that feels.

--------------------
~jules

#12985 - 07/02/03 08:07 AM
Catherine

Reged: 05/28/03

Starbucks Mocha Malt Frappacinos! A huge dose of caffeine, dairy, and fat. I KNOW I will pay - but it tastes SO good at the time, and all the unaccustomed sugar and caffeine really revs up my energy! (Which I need several hours later as I race to the bathroom ...)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 790 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2087

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review