All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
New - just ordered book - need quick help w/ constipation
      #1294 - 02/23/03 06:28 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I am new, just ordered the book and cannot wait to try it. But I am desperate. I have been so miserably constipated that the pain is bad enough, then I got myself to just not eating at all because nothing relieved it. I have been prescribed zelnorm but want to wait and try eating right before I start that as I fear the side effects of medication. I have been doing metamucil and I swear it is making me worse! I feel MORE bloated, gassy (inside, not passing), just painful and hurting into my back, and NO MOVEMENT at all to make me think I'll be going to the bathroom anytime soon. I don't want to get back into the cycle of laxatives and enemas and just not eating, I've avoided that at all costs. I have been eating as best I know how the last couple of days, but like I said I just ordered the book. Any advice for me? Thank you!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New - just ordered book - need quick help w/ constipation new
      #1299 - 02/23/03 06:58 PM
Leanne01

Reged: 02/03/03

Citracel isn't really gassy like Metamucil, I take the Citacrel Tablets and I heard Fibercon is really good, and drink lots of water and start eating fiber. Oatmeal helps me. As for the gas, I read that Peppermint Capsules are good, as well as the Peppermint Tea or just any over the counter gas tablets like Phasyme.

#1306 - 02/23/03 07:50 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi there - Here's a link on "breaking the cycle" that will give you ideas on getting stabilized. link

Chronic constipation can take up to two weeks, so be patient. I know it's not fun, to say the least. Trying to be as physically active as possible will help, as will plenty of water. Your bowel has to begin functioning on its own now instead of depending on laxatives and enemas - the soluble fiber, being active, and water should all really help to accomplish this. But it can take a bit of time for your body to re-establish normal functioning on its own.

I would defintely stop the Metamucil and switch to plain Citrucel, Equalactin, Fibercon, or Benefiber instead. Psyllium can really cause gas and bloating for folks - the other supplements won't. Also try strong hot fennel tea, which is very anti-gas. Should make you feel better.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#1329 - 02/24/03 09:01 AM
sek

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Virginia, USA

Hang in there! I found Heather's books about four months ago and I'm having practically no problems with constipation anymore. Unfortunately it did take quite a few weeks before I felt an improvement, and I still have a lot of bloating and occasional cramp attacks. But it sure is great just to be going to the bathroom regularly! Here are the Heather suggestions that have been working for me:

1. Heather's diet, of course, with the modification that I am avoiding all gassy foods completely for now (beans, brocoli, cabbage, etc). I plan to slowly add them back in after I get my bloating under control.
2. Walking on the treadmill nearly every day for 30 minutes. This is especially helpful for bloating and getting some movement in the bowels. I often 'go' right after my walk.
3. Four tablespoons of Citrucel daily. I, also, had a bad experience with Metamucil.
4. Tons and tons of water.
5. The antispasmodic, Bentyl. My doctor talked me into buying some just to have in my purse in case I am feeling especially bad. Most of the time if I take one of these before a meal, I am able to go to the bathroom shortly after the meal. I understand your interest in solving your problems without medicine, but it's awfully nice to have that backup or even use it as a jump start.
6. I've been using a heating pad for cramps and I truly can feel movement in my bowels as the heat relaxes everything. As you very well know, even just movement in the bowels, even without actually going, is a blessing for contipation sufferers.

I hope you start feeling better soon.

#1332 - 02/24/03 09:48 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Thank you everyone! I have stopped the metamucil for sure, will go get some citrucel or benefiber today, as well as some fennel tea! Can't wait to get this book. I was on the phone with my mother in law last night crying, I just feel so frustrated by all of this! I am anxious to get on a good path. I will try the medicine, too, why not? Hopefully the diet will make it not necessary very often though. I do exercise regularly and must say I feel best when I'm on the treadmill and just after, if I can just get the gumption to go and DO it when I'm already hurting. But I usually do anyway because it is so helpful, and my only "break" from the kids. Thanks for the great advice and warm welcome, look forward to being a regular here (no pun intended) ha ha

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#1355 - 02/24/03 02:33 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Sek,
I was interested to read your post. I am in a similiar situation. And yes, while it is fantastic to go to the toilet regularly, I find the bloating unbearable! How are you coping with it and have you had any success or improvement?

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1736 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3226

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review