All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Restaurant Menu Items??
      #12819 - 06/30/03 10:20 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

I use to occasionally browse http://www.dwlz.com/restaurants.html (Dotti's Weight Loss Zone) for nutritional information on food.

Do we have a list of 'safe' restaurant items on this board that we could quickly browse before going out to eat? I was stuck with eating nothing but a plain baked potato at a restaurant yesterday because I had no idea of what to order. I was offered a steamed veggie mix (broccoli, cauliflower and carrots) but the thought of those veggies at the time didn't sound good to me.

I know that we're starting a list of safe name brand foods, but a restaurant list with safe items would be awesome! I love going out to eat, and so does my boyfriend, but we haven't much because of my IBS.

If we do have this already, I apologize for not doing my research. If not, I think that we should get some sort of ball rolling on this. I hate missing out on eating out.

What does everyone think?

--------------------
~jules

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Restaurant Menu Items?? new
      #12826 - 06/30/03 11:12 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Jules - There are a lot of restaurant items listed in the safe foods thread that's going. Since the list isn't organized yet (sorry about that, just haven't had time) you might have to read through a bunch of posts, but I've seen good suggestions there.

There's a recipe section in both Eating for IBS and First Year IBS too, with ideas for you. And do a board search for this - there have been specific past posts with good ideas.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

See this thread... new
      #12841 - 06/30/03 01:29 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

web page

Re: See this thread... new
      #12842 - 06/30/03 02:00 PM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

Great, thanks gals!

--------------------
~jules

#12861 - 06/30/03 09:40 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

Hi; i JUST steer clear of any restaurant I am not sure of, even if it means eating the same thing all the time. bETTER SAFE than sorry!

#17277 - 08/14/03 11:09 AM
ArynMagoo

Reged: 08/13/03
Loc: California

I AM NEW TO THIS SO HOW DO YOU SEARCH FOR CERTAIN THREADS?

How to search the boards new
      #17280 - 08/14/03 11:12 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Welcome! You'll see a "search" link in blue text at the top of your screen (next to "my home"). Click there, and enter your search term in the box. You can choose to search all of the boards or just one particular board. For date range, choose "all posts".

That's all there is to it!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#17281 - 08/14/03 11:14 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Hi -

You chose Search from up on the tool bar above and then type in your word(s) you are looking for and change setting to all posts.

Have fun!

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Louise ... new
      #17298 - 08/14/03 02:18 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

That's no way to live your life!
I refuse to be held hostage by this condition. Avoiding unfamiiar restaurants would never work in my family. My husband and boys love to eat out, and we are on the go so much.I can't ask them to eat at the same places all the time. Although I believe you have to be extremely careful when eating out and you won't always be successful, you can't eat at home all the time. Almost every restaurant has something safe to eat, even if it's just a grilled chicken breast sandwich and a baked potato.

#17315 - 08/14/03 07:02 PM
Free2bDee

Reged: 07/22/03

I think that a guide for dining out "IBS" would be fantastic if there isn't one available. I have ordered and use several guides like this for the Celiac Diet. (Gluten-Free) Without it we would be completely LOST when it comes to restaurant-ing. One particular restaurant that has gone above and beyond for Celiac's is "Outback Steakhouse". They offer a gluten-free menu that you can download and print from your computer. You would NOT believe how fantastic is was to take our first real-live family vacation on the road over the Summer. I made wonderful connections for my daughter here in So. Cal (3 locations) ..also in Las Vegas and an Outback in Flagstaff. I was quite impressed. There's nothing like being able to 'relax' in a restaurant with your family when you're trying to enjoy traveling. With Celiac Disease, the affected person is not allowed to ingest ANYTHING which contains or is cross-contaminated with gluten. Gluten is the protein which is found in grains such as wheat, barley rye & oats. The list of ingredient equivalent names fills 3 pages on the Celiac.com website if you are interested in observing it. All I can say is that it's very scary giving your trust to someone and hoping that they prepare the foods in a way that is 'safe' for your child to eat. The symptoms can be very severe and sometimes life-threatening, so this can be quite tricky..as you can imagine.

One of the books that I use quite frequently was ordered from the CSA/USA. (Celiac Association) It lists a few fast-food type places as well as some others who offer GF foods. If there was a society for IBS sufferers, perhaps this type of listing would be available. Perhaps it already is somewhere and I haven't seen it. I know it would be a welcome addition to Heather's books as well as other useful material to the newly diagnosed IBS patient as well as the veterans, like me, who suffer. Oh.. also, the guide is basically a 'commercial products listing' as well as a listing for the restaurants willing to commit and participate. "The Bible" for Celiacs.

What do you think, Heather?

--------------------
~Deborah

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3291 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1818

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review