All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Question about Acacia
      #127246 - 12/03/04 06:45 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I'm a little confused about Acacia. I read that it is suppose to reduce and alleviate bloating and gas, but many people on the board report they still experience these symptoms and many times the bloating or gas actually increases when using the product.

So, I'm confused about the inconsistency. Can anyone help me with this one? I am seriously considering ordering this product, but I already have gas and bloating problems and I am afraid of taking something that will make it worse.

For people who do take acacia and experience the bloating/gas, do you think it is still worth taking it for the BM?

As always, thanks!!!!!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I can only speak for myself new
      #127256 - 12/03/04 07:00 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Before taking acacia I already had the diet down to what works for ME, which takes some time. But I was still dealign with bad C from time to time, accompanied by bad bloating (I mean BAD).

All over the counter SFS made me worse, but I started acacie VERY slowly (1/4 tsp 3 x day) and had none of those bad effects. Once I got up to 2-3 TPS a day I started having a BM either every day or every other day. I am not bloated or gassy, I do pass more gas but I'll take that!

That's me. It's helped those issues, not made it worse. But diet has to be worked out, too. GL!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Re: Question about Acacia new
      #127287 - 12/03/04 08:35 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

As for me, Acacia totally alleviated my bloat and gas! The only time I notice it coming back is at times when I'm upping my dose, and then it only lasts for a couple of days until my body adjusts to the higher amount of fiber in the diet. It has been my biggest help in the bloat/gas department!! I'll never be without it!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: Question about Acacia new
      #127310 - 12/03/04 09:26 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

You run a risk of gassy side effects from any SFS if you increase your dose too quickly. Some, like psyllium, can actually cause gas on their own. Acacia has less gassy side effects than other SFSs, but it's not a miracle cure - the symptoms don't all go away just cos you're taking Acacia. It helps, but it's not a cure.

personally its good.. new
      #127440 - 12/03/04 05:15 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I still have some gas and bloat, but my other side effects are gone now that I'm taking it.. I think I will increase it again - and yes epect gas when you do that.. and see if some more of the bloat and gas will go away... and the gas and bloat are a lot less- I went down 2 pants sizes in what I could comfortably wear most of the time.. I still have bad days, but I can trace most of them to DH putting onion or too much ot pepper in something I ate that he cooked.. he's trying, but its trial and error- when I am ok with small amounts of something and he accidentally adds too much.. hard ot adjust.. especially to things I'm used ot eating.. but given everything else its not bad at all.. the biggest helps were cutting out dairy (I had already cut out all red meat), HFCS and artificial sweeteners.. odd that I'm still eating sweet things, just ones that I made and losing weight even though I'm no longer eating the ones designed to be diet..

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Linz new
      #127513 - 12/04/04 07:22 AM
Augie

So what is the cure? The million dollar question!!!!!! Oh, woudn't that be just the best day of our lives!!!! If you come up with a cure, let me know!!!! (hope you know I'm kidding).

--------------------
~ Beth

Ecmmbm: new
      #127516 - 12/04/04 07:33 AM
Augie

I've been wanting to ask you how it's been going on the acacia. So your at 3 tablespoons now? How long did it take you to get it that high? Seems like you were able to do it very quickly. Guess every body is different. Do you drink it before meals? I'm glad the acacia is working so well for you. I guess I'll never know until I try it myself. Since you were not taking any SFS before the acacia, what were you doing to get the BM's going?

I too have tried almost every OTC fiber supplement and they either do nothing or just cause cramps and bloat and gas and not even a BM! Yes, I saw the picture you posted of your belly. That picture says it all! I want to print that off and show it to my stupid doctor who keeps telling me to just eat whoppers with onion and mayo and Krispy Kremes (I too need to gain weight like you). He tells me every visit that I should just eat whatever I want and with time my body will adjust to the foods.

PS Your picture is great! What's the cutie pies name?

--------------------
~ Beth

To everyone who answered- I'm afraid new
      #127517 - 12/04/04 07:40 AM
Augie

Thanks everyone,sounds positive. But I think I'm afraid to try it because if it doesn't work, then this will be my last hope. That scares me because if it doesn't work, I will have nothing else to try, been through all OTC SFS's. It may not make sense, but as long as I haven't tried the acacia, there is always hope. If I do try it and it doesn't help the hope is gone. Does that make sense?

--------------------
~ Beth

Ecmmbm:Question about your F&V mix new
      #127528 - 12/04/04 08:17 AM
Augie

Sorry to bother you again, but I wanted to ask you about the F&V drink you make. I found it when I did a search on prune juice. I think you said the mix was one apple, 3 carrots, and 1/4 beet? Did you use the skins in the drink too? I thought that was bad thing? Also,did you drink the entire drink at once with all those f&v's in them? Did you do it on a full tummy?

Do you still drink this even though you are on the acacia? One more question I promise! Did you find the prune juice helpful? I got mixed results on whether prune juice was an okay thing to take when constipated. I think Heather's answer was no. Do you still drink it on top of the acacia and the veggie drink or don't you need it anymore?

I'm sorry I have asked you so many questions. Thank you so much for your patience and help. I'm miserable and am looking for answers from people who seem to be on the right path. I am so glad you are finally getting some relief!

--------------------
~ Beth

I don't mind new
      #127531 - 12/04/04 08:34 AM
ecmmbm

I do think Heather says no to prune juice but I'm hesitant to completely stop cold turkey. I mean nothing made me go! I am down to in the morning, I have a glass of about 1/3 prune to 2/3 low acid orange juice (gives some folks trouble so be careful, but I think they are mostly D folks). I put my acidophilus powder in there, too.

I've been puttign the acacia in my oatmeal in the morning (I was having lots of trouble getting it to mix in liquid once I got up to a TBS - so clumpy! But can be drunk down still, I just sort of can't stand the clump factor if I can help it - but the benefits are worth it ....So anyway point is I mix it in drink when I have to but I've found other ways, listed here:) Then mid-day I usually have a smoothie so I put the acacia in there. Then at night before dinner I put it in some applesauce.

For my fruit and veggie juices, I use a good juicer that can juice anything. You DO juice skins because you are getting NO fiber here, only juice/nutrients. I do a couple of apples, several carrots, a celery stalk, and 1/4 of a beet (not the greens). That way you barely taste the beet. If BM's are coming well and soft enough to pass easily then I skip the beet. I've been skipping the beet off and on lately! You can juice so many things for good nutrients - there are books out there just of "recipes" to juice, one I like is "Juicing for Life", it lists out different health issues and which juices can help with those issues. I like to do this rather than load up on vitamin supplements, when practical.

I've written this in a hurry so hope it makes sense!

HTH! My little girl's name is Sarah Michelle, and my boys are Luke (6) and Aaron (4).

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle

ecmmbm-confused!!! new
      #127543 - 12/04/04 09:06 AM
Augie

Are you up to 3Tablespoons of Acacia now and how long did that take? Where you just relying on the juices to go before the acacia?

Do you drink the entire drink with all the 2 apples, 2 carrots, and beet in it at once? That's a lot of f&v at one time. Finally, do you drink it on a full tummy or by itself?
Thanks again. Oh, I agree, if you gotta go and prune juice does it, why not!!!

--------------------
~ Beth

There is always hope - honestly, you will always have something new
      #127578 - 12/04/04 12:21 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

new to try so DON'T give up!!

Give the Acacia a shot - start at a low dose and increase gradually.

Have you tried the IBS self-hypnosis program? That is a "last resort" option that should really be used as a first resort - it has helped people who have felt that they had no hope left. There's a ton of info on the site about it - just click the "Hypnosis for IBS" link to the left of your page.

Please let us know how things go...

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

I'll try to be clearer - I post in such a hurry new
      #127584 - 12/04/04 12:55 PM
ecmmbm

Acacia -
started 1/4 tsp 3x a day (2 days)
then 1/2 tsp 3x a day (2 more days)
1 tsp 3x a day (several days at this level, still no bloating or adverse effects but no BM improvement either)
then 1/2 TBS 3x day a couple days
then bit the bullet and went up to 1 TBS 3x a day
THE NEXT MORNING I had a great BM, and it's been pretty good ever since (except I got a stomach bug in there so trying to even out from that)

Now... for the F&V juice, have you ever used a juicer? Cause that really doesn't make that much juice - just a good sized glass, I have no idea how many ounces. There is no pulp or anything at all, just the juice. The experts say it's best on an empty stomach, gets right into your system that way, but I drink it after a meal because it's easeier on the stomach that way.

HTH!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle

Re: To everyone who answered- I'm afraid new
      #127594 - 12/04/04 01:17 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Yes it does!!! I was the SAME way!!!! I kept putting it off becuase I kept thinking what if it doesn't work!!! then I will have nothing to hope for!!!! GIVE IT A TRY!!!!!!
HUGS!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: To everyone who answered- I'm afraid new
      #127605 - 12/04/04 01:54 PM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

Hi Augie. I hope what I am about to say helps you out.

I was the same way about the Acacia. I tried it for two weeks and got very frustrated because I could not have a bm. I don't know about you, but I was looking for a this SFS to be a miracle. In my haste, I failed to remember that just like anything else, it takes time.

I went back to my Citrucel(3 caplets) per day for fear the Acacia was making my situation worse.

I started reading the boards just as you did, and lo and behold I realized that I was relying soley on the Acacia to do all the work without any help from insolubles! In fact, I was not eating enough insolubles (duh!!) Thanks to Casey (Atomic Rose) I started adding peas and carrots, peaches, pears, applesauce, yams and Apricots to my diet as well as well-cooked vegetables. I am thanking Casey because her reply to someone else helped me as well!

I take 1 tsp. of Acacia 3 x per day and have a bm everyday sometimes two! I have been taking this dosage for three weeks know and will move up to 1/1/2tsp next week.

I do still have some gas, but not nearly as much as I did before with the other SFS. Bloating is less as well. I now can fit by size 10 slacks (elastic waist) and don't look pregnant anymore. I get the elastic waist slacks because they are comfortable around my tummy. the females in my office keep asking me when I am going to stop losing weight. My reply is are you going to eat that rice or sourdough bread? I look good and they can't stand it! LOL

You will have some gas and bloating, I think we all do due to diet. Why last week I had a bite size Baby Ruth bar! This is something I never would have done before stabilizing myself.

Give it time, I give testimony that Acacia does work and it is better than the SFS I was taking. Make sure you eat a lot of insolubles as well as solubles; you know sort of fine your balance.

Hang in there, I went through the same thing as you are going through now. I already had gas something awful, not to mention the odor. Now I have gas like "non-IBSers" have and as I said before, the bloating is much better. Also EXERCISE it works wonders for you body and helps the gas and bloating a great deal. Drink water ALL DAY. Water is our friend.

Good luck, but if you try it with the insolubles you want need luck, and you will see a big difference.

BIG HUGS!!!!!!!!!

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

I have no advice for you, but I hope every thing works out for you and that you feel better soon -nt new
      #127665 - 12/04/04 06:13 PM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

Thanks Michelle-think I got it!-nt new
      #127744 - 12/05/04 07:05 AM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

Heather- a question for you new
      #127750 - 12/05/04 07:13 AM
Augie

Thanks for the supportive words Heather. Yes, I often feel like giving up. Just don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I think I'm following the advice in the book, but don't seem to be progressing like so many others on the board. Perhaps it's my SFS. It's impossible to pinpoint the culprit.

No haven't tried hypnosis yet. And anxiety is a major problem for me so it would probably do me some good. I have found a doctor who specializes in IBS hypnosis. He is only one of two in the entire state of Illiniois. Do you think there is a difference in results whether hypnosis is done by the audio tapes or by an actual human being?

Thanks again!

--------------------
~ Beth

Heather7476 new
      #127751 - 12/05/04 07:15 AM
Augie

Do you currently take Acacia? Thanks for the HUGS, too. Best medicine around!!!

--------------------
~ Beth

Healing new
      #127752 - 12/05/04 07:27 AM
Augie

Thank you so very much for sharing your experience with me. I too am looking at the Acacia as some wonder supplement for this entire IBS deal!!Unfortunately, it can't be, I guess. Too bad. When are they gonna come up with one. Don't they know there are so many people waiting for one!!!

Anyhow, yes, Casey is the greatest. She has and continues to help me try to understand this. Are you doing canned peaches, pears, apricots, and canned veggies? Or fresh? Are carrots and peas the only veggies you are eating so far?

By the way, are you an IBS-D or C? I noticed you are also on lexapro. Did that make you more C initially? See my post on Lexapro? Would love your feedback, especially if you are a IBS-C!!!!

Thanks again for sharing. I feel better that someone else was were I am at and is in a better place now. Maybe there is hope, may I dare say!
GL with increasing the Acacia. Keep in touch, okay. I'll probably be posting as I try and figure this thing out.

HUGS right back at you!!! Oh, hope you enjoyed that Baby Ruth! That would be such a great treat!

--------------------
~ Beth

Thanks to everyone who is trying to help. Much appreciated-nt new
      #127753 - 12/05/04 07:29 AM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

Bamagirl new
      #127910 - 12/05/04 06:20 PM
Augie

I know from a previous post that you also take a calcium and magnesium supplement. Is it a combined supplement? What brand/type do you take and how many mg a day? I'm looking for one but the calcium I think constipates me. So, I've been just taking Magnesium alone (400mg a day up from 250mg). I need to get some calium in too though. Can you offer some help. thanks.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Heather- a question for you new
      #127933 - 12/05/04 09:04 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - what's most important is that the hypnosis is gut-directed or gut-specific. If it is, then results should be very comparable. For Mike Mahoney, he's got his patient results for in-patient therapy comparable to within 1-2% of the results patients get from his audio program.

Is your local doc on the USA register of IBS hypnotherapists? I'd ask to make sure, and ask how he/she was trained, by whom, by what protocol. They need to be associated with this IBS training program if they're in the US. If they're not, I'd definitely go with Mike's program instead.

If you decide to interview your therapist (and you definitely should before making any commitment) check out all the questions to ask in the IBS hypnosis section of this site. You can just print them out and take with you.

Also compare prices, and how easily you'd be able to commit to travel to the local appointments. Consistency is key, so if you think it might be hard to get out of the house for the appointments, then listening at home might be a better choice.

Investigate a little further, and you should be able to make a good decision here. Either way you go, hypnosis should make a world of difference for you, especially with resolving the anxiety related symptoms. Honestly, it's such a great approach I wish everyone would try it!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

I'm not Bamagirl but I take magnesium new
      #127944 - 12/06/04 12:33 AM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

Hi Augie. I'm not Bamagirl but I do take a magnesium supplement and it works a treat. I used to take 'pharama mag' which was calcium and magnesium combined, but the calcium was inhibiting magnesium uptake. So now I take 'sero mag' which is 100 % magnesium. I take 3 tablets, twice a day but not sure what that equates to in mg. I reaaaaally notice the difference in BM when taking magnesium.

Also I've been on acacia this week and it has made me dreadfully bloated and full of gas but I think I've been taking too much too quickly. I started off with 1 tsp a day and am now on 3 tsp. Its also given me D when I am a reliable C. But I'm going to persist and lower the dosage.

Hows the GF going? I made some delicious rice bread on the weekend with pepitas, sunflower, sesame and linseeds. I actually like it better then normal bread! I also made some yummy choc banana muffins. So being GF isn't the end of the world, so long as you have the time to make the substitutes.

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

Re: Heather- a question for you new
      #127957 - 12/06/04 04:26 AM
Augie

Thanks again Heather. Yes, my doctor is certified and trained to go hypnosis specific to IBS. He was trained according to the method used by Dr. Paulson(I believe that is how to spell it) at UNC center for GI and still attends seminars by Dr. Paulson.

He is quite a bit more expensive, however! Like 1300 dollars or so for 20 sessions. Somehow I have the belief that a real person is better. But perhaps not!!I definately like Mike's price better!!!

Thanks for taking the time to answer. I'll have to decide what's best for me, I guess. Money is a problem for me, so perhaps the tapes might be an option.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Heather7476 new
      #127968 - 12/06/04 05:23 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

No I am sorry I stoped!!! My main Problem with IBS is Gas and Bloat and any SFS just makes it so much worse I can't get to the point where they would help the gas and bloat! Did that make sense??? I know lots of people on here say they help a great deal with thier gas and bloat though!!! Give it a try!!!! Be Brave!!!!! I know it take alot of courage to do this!!!! I have faith in you hon!!!!
BIG HUGS!!!!!

PS Do you take a probiotic!! They have helped me a great deal!!! Just a thought!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

Edited by heather7476 (12/06/04 05:25 AM)

Re: Heather7476 new
      #127989 - 12/06/04 06:58 AM
Augie

Which probiotic do you take? And how many a day? I am trying Jarro two times a day, but don't think it's doing much!

Do you take yours on an empty stomache or with a meal. Thanks sweetie!!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Bamagirl new
      #128062 - 12/06/04 10:42 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

Sorry for the late reply! Yes, I added a calcium/magnesium supplement after the acacia based on research from this site. I have a hard time with calcium too, so I chose a liquid combination by Lifeway (I order online thru Puritan's Pride). It combines 300mg/magnesium with 600mg/calcium and I take 2T per day. (the daily dose on the bottle is only 1T per day and I did that for several months before increasing it) I find it helps for a daily BM and also seems to help me sleep better. Stress and red meat are my biggest triggers, so I get my biggest relief from the supplements and minding my diet.

I misbehaved a bit on the diet end of things this weekend and am paying for it today, but otherwise the combination of acacia (I started this very slowly too - 1/4t 3x per day and am now up to 2 1/2t 3x day) and calcium/magnesium, the C problem is almost totally resolved. Hope this helps!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: Healing new
      #128706 - 12/08/04 11:36 AM
LittleFox

I am IBS-A prone to C. I know the pains of constipation, but have not had D except for when I ate something I should not have.

Yes I am eating the canned peaches, pears, apricots, mixed fruits. I have been picking up Delmont's brand at Safeway. They come in little containers that you can take any where. I have an eggbeater omelet for breakfast and two hours later I have a cup of oatmeal and put my fruit in it. I also drink lots of water and Yogi StomachEase tea. I can't drink the Fennel alone, it gives me too much gas!!!!! StomachEase contains organic Fennel, Peppermint and ginger. I also have just Ginger and Peppermint teas.

I use Heather's Peppermint Capsules, her tea gives me GERD. The Peppermint tea from the HFS does not bother me as much; probably not as strong as Heather's.

I am eating canned peas and carrots right now, along with Vegetable soup from the HFS. Beware of Campbell's vegetable soup, it has HFCS in it - that's a no-no for most of us, at least it is for me. I also eat frozen vegetables, i.e. beans, corn, okra, carrots and peas.

I make my own smoothies, with Rice Dream Vanilla milk. They are very filling. I am still working on the insolubles though just a little at a time.

Regarding the Acacia, I completely understand how you feel. It's scary thinking that you might be C for a while and bloated with painful spasms. I went through it and believe me you are not alone. I have been taking Acacia for about 3 1/2 weeks now and have moved us to 3/4 tablespoon. I do feel a little bloated, but am still having a bm everyday and just a little gas. You have to remember that each time you increase it, your body has to have time to adjust to more fiber. When I realized this, I did not mine the temporary bloating or extra gas because I knew it would be gone in a few days. It took me a long time to get up enough courage to try the Acacia again. It was just sitting in my cabinet in a tupperware container! I am glad I saw Casey's message, it turned on a light bulb for me. I was eating oatmeal, chicken and rice sourdough muffins and eggbeaters. Not nearly enough insolubles!!!!!!! Insolubles are the key to getting stable.

Step out on that ledge of FAITH and give it a try!! When you get bloated and a little gassy, just remember ---- my body is adjusting and this will be over in a matter of days.

God bless and strengthen you in this time of doubt. You can do it, I believe you can!

BIG, BIG, BIG HUGS!!!!!!!!

Lene

--------------------

Re: I don't mind new
      #128709 - 12/08/04 11:53 AM
LittleFox

Hi Michelle,

I am up to 3/4 tablespoons 3 x per day and I found that if I heat the water for about 1 min and 20 sec. it does not clump up. Any hotter or colder, and clumps are every where. Try it!

Lene

--------------------

#128718 - 12/08/04 12:22 PM
Augie

You take 3/4Tablespoon, 3 times a day, or only a total of 3/4 Tablespoon a day?

I can't believe fennel gives you gas. I thought it had the complete opposite effect. So, I've been drinking 2 cups a day! Maybe the tea is causing me problems too. But others swear by it. I am becoming afraid to eat or drink anything once one person tells me they have a problem with it. Now I don't know what to do about the tea???? I hate this IBS. I don't know what is helping and what is hurting. I'm so confused.

Thanks so much Lene!!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Heather- a question for you *DELETED* new
      #129005 - 12/09/04 12:41 AM
SteveNJ

Reged: 12/08/04

Post deleted by Heather

Hey! new
      #129007 - 12/09/04 12:44 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Heather recommends stuff she knows works from personal experience AND scientific research. Mike Mahoney has a proven track record both in-person and using his tapes. Another doctor might not.

Re: Hey! new
      #129010 - 12/09/04 12:47 AM
SteveNJ

Reged: 12/08/04

ok

Don't worry, Linz.... new
      #129218 - 12/09/04 12:41 PM
HeatherAdministrator

this person has been banned. See the other posts about this - and thanks for your support!

- H

--------------------

#132431 - 12/22/04 01:23 PM
Augie

How much lexapro do you take a day? I know you are a C as I am. I am currently on 10mg and finding I am very C and much gas. My doctor wants me to go up to 20mg because he says that if I go up in mg, the constipation will actually decrease.

I know you aren't a doc, and I wil be talking to him soon, but just wanted your experiences.

Thanks Lene. How much acacia are you up to now? How's it going for you?

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 965 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10290

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review