All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Constipation and anti-depressants
      #12576 - 06/26/03 11:53 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I have a history of depression and have taken 1 Wellbutrin-SR a day, the script calls for 2 a day but I seem ok on one. Anyway I was switched from Zoloft to Wellbutrin about 3 years ago and now that I really think about it, I think the constipation has been worse. Shortly after starting the Wellbutrin I started Mira-Lax but have recently stopped that because of the gas it created(like I don't make enough gas of my own! ) I have read that there are different classes of anti depressants and certain ones worked better for IBS. I called the pharmacist and he said constipation is a common side effect of Wellbutrin. I'm waiting for a call back from my doctor to see about changing to a different one. Any suggestions?

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Constipation and anti-depressants new
      #12577 - 06/26/03 12:06 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi there - There is a lot to know about different classes of antidepressants and which types will help diarrhea vs. constipation. I'd do a board search on this topic to see what other posts have to say. And for detailed IBS drug info check here web page

You should also have a GI doc who is well aware of this info and can help you find the right prescription. If your doc's not familiar with using anti-depressants specifically for IBS, it's probably worth it to get a second opinion.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Constipation and anti-depressants...LEXAPRO ANYONE? new
      #12581 - 06/26/03 12:28 PM
michele

I did alot of searches on line, one fairly new drug keep coming up for constipation IBS...Lexapro. Its in the SSR class, one of the side effects is diareha, has anyone tried this drug????

--------------------

Edited by michele (06/26/03 12:46 PM)

For Michelle re. antidepressants and IBS-C new
      #12594 - 06/26/03 02:11 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Yes, I have experience with some of the antidepressants, having suffered from depression in the past. I took Wellbutrin for a short period and yes, it made me constipated too. Zoloft gave me diarrhea the first couple of days I took it, but the doctor said this would resolve itself after my body adjusted to it, and it did. I just tried a low dose of Celexa this week at the suggestion of my gastro doc. He ssys it gives a lot of patients with IBS-C relief from their symptoms. It gave me diarrhea the first few days I took it, but I'm sure that was just my body adjusting to it. Unfortunately, I had to discontinue it for another reason which is unrelated to IBS. If you take it for IBS-C, it's at a much lower dose than that for depression. I was happy that my bloating and stomach pains disappeared while on it (I felt 5 pounds lighter!) but that may have been because I had diarrhea too! Good luck! You may want to give it a try.

#12596 - 06/26/03 02:13 PM
BL

I've heard it's good for depression (little side effects), but haven't heard how it affects IBS. I can ask my neighbor who works for an internist who prescribes it a lot for his patients.

Re: For Michelle re. antidepressants and IBS-C new
      #12603 - 06/26/03 02:39 PM
michele

Are you on any anti depressants now that are working well? I took zoloft years ago but it killed my sex drive and that wasn't good for my marriage! If I could only find one that keeps the edge of depression at bay, doesn't kill my libido and lets me poop, boy would I be one happy girl!

--------------------

Re: For Michelle re. antidepressants and IBS-C new
      #12618 - 06/26/03 06:46 PM
BL

Michelle, you crack me up! If we could just come up with an anti-depressant like you described, then we would be mightly rich!

#12635 - 06/26/03 11:55 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Hi Michele,

I was actually on an anti-depressant for a while and it helped me greatly. I have IBS-C and it didn't make me constipated and I was virtually symptom free while I was on it. It was fluoxetine and it is recommended for patients with IBS C. i didn't get any side effects apart from a bit of tiredness in the first few weeks. As for sex drive, well mine has been somewhat diminished since the birth of my son so I can't really say for sure but I didn't notice that it made things any worse!

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#12638 - 06/27/03 06:16 AM
Gretchen

Reged: 05/30/03
Loc: Muncy, PA, USA

I am IBS-C/(alt D) and started fluoxetine (Prozac) about three weeks ago. I take 20 mg a day. It has seemed to help keep anxiety/stress at bay, which therefore helps keep my gas and bloating under control. (Seems I get gassy when I am stressed !) The anti-depressant hasn't caused me to be constipated at all. The combo of fiber supplements, lowfat eating, and the anti-depressants has worked wonders on me. I'm not completely back to normal, but closer than I've been in months! As far as sex drive, I am still trying to figure that out. My doc said that if anything, the flouxetine would help me be in the mood more because I'd be more relaxed. Honestly, it's hard to tell. With three kids home all day for summer vacation (ages 9,8 and 4) and it being 90 degrees out, I'm just not in the mood anyway! Poor hubby - thinks he's never gonna get any! Seriously, I haven't noticed a decrease or increase in sex drive.

If you ever find that miracle drug that makes us happy, keeps us poopin' and increases libido, call me first!

Gretchen

#12643 - 06/27/03 07:03 AM
michele

Yeah, I guess I am asking for a miracle drug. I've made a list of the anti-depressants you guys are using, my DR is supposed to call me today and I'll run the list my her. I'll keep you posted on her ideas.
Thanks!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1972 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3236

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review