All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Soy for people who can't have dairy
      #12564 - 06/26/03 11:03 AM
Lorna

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I saw my dietician recently. She does not recommend that I have soy milk or any soy products on a regular basis. The reason for this is that I am lactose intolerant and she said if I have soy milk, I will just be introducing another allergin into my body. She also mentioned that the villa in the intestine becomes damaged in people who are lactose intolerant and use soy as a substitute. The enzymes in the intestines get buried and you don't get proper absorpsion. I am wondering if anyone else has heard of this or what your thoughts are?

Thanks.

--------------------
Lorna

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Soy for people who can't have dairy new
      #12569 - 06/26/03 11:20 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - I've never heard of this. Can you ask the dietitian to point you to some research study references that validate this?

Lactose intolerance should have no connection to soy whatsoever. Lactose intolerance is also not a food allergy. Soy is a common food allergen, but either you're allergic to it or you're not. You could be both lactose intolerant and allergic to soy (or allergic to any other food) but there's no connection between the two that I've ever heard.

Also - why would the the villi in the intestines become damaged? The only time I've ever heard of that happening from a food intolerance is in people who have celiac - when they eat gluten it damages the villi. But neither milk for the lactose intolerant, nor eating a food you're allergic to, would do that.

BTW, if you're allergic to soy you'll know it. You'll get hives, breathing difficulties, immediate digestive upset, etc. Allergies are an immune system response - they're fast and usually dramatic.

I'd really love to have more information about this. If what she says is true I need to do some research.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#12637 - 06/27/03 05:59 AM
Lorna

Hi Heather,

Thanks for the reply. I'll make sure I ask her where she's getting her information from the next time I see her.

--------------------
Lorna

#15384 - 07/29/03 11:14 AM
Lorna

Heather,

FYI - I went back to my dietician. She had no studies to confirm this information. My doctor told me exactly the same thing you did: They are not related to each other.

Just thought I would update you...

--------------------
Lorna

#15464 - 07/29/03 04:19 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Well thank you for this! I'd been worrying about what this could all possibly mean. Glad to know there is no connection - whew! And what's up with that dietician?! Talk about some scary misinformation.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1022 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 632

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review