Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Rye bread / maize flour/potatos
      #12548 - 06/26/03 08:47 AM
susaloh

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Kiel, Germany

Hi everybody!!

I'm one of these people who've been tested again and again for celiac and don't seem to have it but still can't eat wheat. So, lately, I've been experimenting with gluten-free bread and pasta and I find I get more bloating the more maize flour is in there. It doesn't tell the proportions on the package but I presume the heavier and tastier the bread, the more maize flour it contains in relation to the rice flour?! Anyway, bloating does make me unstable and so I try to avoid it but I have to find some things to eat apart from rice!

My first question, do you think the body can get used to maize flour (like Heather says about soy, just survive the bloating at the beginning and your body gets used to the complex sugars). Or is it really the insoluble fibre of the maize that's causing the bloating? Does anyone else have problems with maize?

Second question, I was wondering about rye bread. Is rye easier to digest than maize?? Would that be an option? How do you get on with rye as opposed to maize?? Sorry, I'm such a scary cat, I couldn't make myself just simply try it out without asking you all first!!

I'm scared of trying things because I lately tried eating a small potato (ONE!) and got a really bad attack that lasted for two days and I had to stick to rice only for another two days. I didn't even get bloating first, I went straight to the sickness and aching part. And I had been feeling incredibly stable thanks to my hormonal treatment but it definitely wasn't a good idea. What on earth could be in a potato to give me such a reaction??

Lots of love to all of you

Susanne

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Rye bread / maize flour/potatos new
      #12553 - 06/26/03 09:24 AM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Susanne: If you find out the potato link, let me know too! I cannot eat them at all, even potato starch. Read your bread label and see if it contains potato starch, most gluten free breads do. I make my own GF items and instead of Potato starch I use Cornstarch with no different taste or texture outcome.

Nightshade family? new
      #12570 - 06/26/03 11:23 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Some people have an intolerance to foods in the nightshade family - potatoes, eggplants, tomatoes. Could that be it?

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Nightshade family? new
      #12630 - 06/26/03 10:40 PM
susaloh

Heather,
Don't know - I've been tested and don't seem to be prone to allergies at all - but intolerances - well, I seem to be intolerant to eating as such....

I would still be keen to learn something about the fibre content of maize flour?!?!

Thanks so much

Susaloh

Re: Rye bread / maize flour/potatos new
      #12631 - 06/26/03 10:42 PM
susaloh

Hi Karin,

There are some gluten-free breads without potato starch around here...but don't ask me about taste....

Susaloh

Re: Nightshade family? new
      #13443 - 07/08/03 06:20 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Susaloh,

Sorry I'm responding so late in the game here!

Does Maize have gluten in it? Even if you test negative for Celiac...you can still have it. the tests are not fullproof unfortunately.

Let me know....I'll be thinking about ya!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Maize (corn) does not have gluten. -nt- new
      #13496 - 07/08/03 11:14 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 377 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1162

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review