All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Are these ingredients safe?
      #12430 - 06/24/03 06:17 PM
Kristin

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: New Jersey

I just bought some cookies and want to check if the ingredients are safe. The brand is "Glenny's" and they are called Chips&Soy Cookies-Fudge Brownie. They are wheat and gluten free (I'm not allergic to gluten-these were just the cookies I found in the "healthy" section). The ingredients: egg whites, pure cane syrup, evaporated cane juice, non-GMO soy nuts, non-GMO soy flour, chocolate chips (cane syrup, chocolate liquor, cocoa butter, soya lecithin, vanilla), cocoa (processed with alkali), vanilla. I'm guessing the cane syrup, soy nuts, liquor and soya 'lecithin' is bad...but I don't even know what lecithin is.

Thanks for the help!
Kristin

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Are these ingredients safe? new
      #12437 - 06/24/03 07:57 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Kristin - What probably matters the most here is the fat content of the cookies. What does the label say for that? You want less than 30% of the calories from fat.

Other than that, the ingredients are just fine, with the possible exception of the soy nuts. Those are pretty high in insoluble fiber, and there might not be enough of a soluble fiber basis in the cookies for them to really be safe. But I'd guess as a dessert, a few of these cookies would be just fine.

Lecithin is actually quite good for you, and not an IBS trigger at all. It's derived from soy and helps your body break down fat. You can even buy it as a separate ingredient in health food stores. It's been around a long time...

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 965 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 386

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review