All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
bloat and pants..
      #123926 - 11/20/04 08:11 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

ok- I have taken to measuring- the widest bloat spot, the waist and the size above.. DH's Idea.. to see how bad it is after leaving the house in loose pants and coming home feeling like I was dying.. too tight...

anyway- over the first 24 hours I had over a 2" variation in the waist #... but not the widest point... then when I ate dairy yesterday it became a 4" variation and a 2" variation at the widest point on my belly... no wonder I have trouble keeping clothes comfy...
I love my waistless sheath dresses in summer.. but with my office averaging 78 degrees and the outside temps closer to
30 outside... I can't wear the summer ones outside and the winter ones I sweat to death in here... so I am down to pants and layered tops... someone suggested getting maternity pants the other day... I hate low rise because I don't have hips and have issues with them staying up... and I have to wear slacks.. I do have 2 pairs that work here in the office- one has a tie over the button and I can tighten them up with it, as well as if I undo the button and wear a long shirt no one notices.. the other has an elastic band, but they fall down if I'm not slightly bloated when I start out the day...

What do you all think? does this sound insane to you? or should I go find maternity pants and try it?

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Have you seen this? new
      #123931 - 11/20/04 08:23 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I posted this in the living room for laughs (I mean you have to laugh or cry). These are my stretch low rise Levis, they fall around my hips when not bloated but still manage to work when I look like this:

http://pages.ivillage.com/jedimommy/guess/

I've taken to wearing really loose dresses when it's terrible, or overalls work great (baggy ones!)

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Re: Have you seen this? new
      #123973 - 11/20/04 10:21 AM
khyricat

I saw it... but the problem is that I can't wear the low rise- they fall off because I have almost non existant hips.. or at least the pairs I tried on did... have been trying to come up with other alternatives.. I love dresses and normally go that route, but can't with the temperature issue here at work right now..

thanks for answering though!

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Re: bloat and pants.. new
      #124009 - 11/20/04 01:08 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

I can certainly relate to your problem. I always wear knit paints with elastic waists. The elastic can't be too tight, either. Then sometimes I cut the elastic just at the waistline to expand them a little.(tacky, huh) If I'm not as bloated, I put a safety pin in to make them tighter. Of course, I wear my knit top out and not tucked in so no one knows.

I think the pants with the drawstring are a great answer, also. Maternity pants could do the trick, too.
I can't wear hip huggers either....they just aren't comfy on me.

Good luck
Barbie

--------------------

#124023 - 11/20/04 01:32 PM
khyricat

knit pants aren't acceptable work attire, or I'd use them.. in the summer its easy- sheath dresses with jackets in case the AC is too cool... long loose and flowing, plenty of space to hide bloat...

in the winter I feel like I have to fight to find solutions. wish I could wear knit pants here to work.. would make life so much simpler...

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

#124034 - 11/20/04 02:15 PM
Rylee

Reged: 10/09/04

Oh My!!! That's terrible. You must have a lot of pain.

#124497 - 11/22/04 12:57 AM
thepurplelollie

Reged: 11/11/04
Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

I don't usually get extreme, extreme bloating (except the time I had a salad burger from McDonalds)... but I usually wear drawstring pants. There's a really good place here called Fin which makes drawstrings that don't look at all scruffy. They're stretch denim or other quite heavy material, and they look quite nice with an untucked shirt or top.
If you or someone you know is handy with a sewing machine, you could probably make something similar. I'll take a pic for you if you're interested.

--------------------
*Emma*

#124502 - 11/22/04 01:18 AM
marymary

Reged: 11/01/04
Loc: Zurich, Switzerland

Hi there, I just saw this message (and the attached picture) - I almost cried. That's exactly what happens to me when I bloat and sometimes I think I am just imagining what I see in the mirror! Evil bloating. Thanks for posting it. You have beautiful children btw (hope you don't mind - I took a peak at the photoalbum...). love, mary

Of course I don't mind!! Thanks! nt new
      #124513 - 11/22/04 03:54 AM
ecmmbm

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle

#124528 - 11/22/04 04:43 AM
khyricat

hrm- wonder if I can find a pattern for something like that at Joann's they have a sale going on, but then again I have no sewing supplies until we move- it all went in storage... probably ought to wait...

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

#124630 - 11/22/04 11:00 AM
Meryl36

Reged: 09/03/04
Loc: Dallas, Texas

Oh, do I know how you feel girl!!!!. Before all this IBS stuff I used to wear tight sexy little dresses & now I can't. I used to be able to wear flattering pants & now I can't. I used to be able to tuck my shirt in but now.... you know the rest. I've resorted to buying clothes at least one size too big. They may not fit in the morning but at least I'm not dying by the aternoon. Either that or I wear my shirts out & undo the button on my skirt or pants.
Thank goodness I have my own office so no one really sees my clothes till I get up & if gas is a problem, I can always spray some perfume.
If you have any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
good luck
P.S, I REFUSE to buy maternity clothes

#125343 - 11/24/04 10:09 PM
Asa

Reged: 11/24/04
Loc: KY

I am new to this site and you have hit on my whole issue for being here.....BLOAT. I can totally relate to the photo. I also took a photo like that to show my dr.

I weigh 104, I'm 5'4 and my waist fluctuates and the belly can be huge...like I'm pregnant.

What do you all do about this bloat??? How do you get rid of it?

All help will be appreciated?

#125360 - 11/25/04 04:56 AM
marymary

Reged: 11/01/04
Loc: Zurich, Switzerland

Welcome! I suffer from the bloating and don't have any supercure, but the tips given by Heather are pretty helpful, i.e. eating SLOWLY, eating small meals, soluble fiber as base and then insoluble on top, not drinking whilst eating, not drinking (or eating) anything cold (ever at all), regular excercise, avoiding large quantities of whole nuts, a glass of wine toward the end of the meal rather than beginning or during - these are the things that have made my (pregnant) bloating less frequent. Hope you can find a strategy that helps you as well. much love, mary

#125364 - 11/25/04 06:38 AM
Asa

I know what you are experiencing because this is the whole reason I am on this site. I wear pants from LL Bean that are knit. I have a dressy office, but I can pull off wearing the knit pants with nice tops that I don't tuck in. I end up with a dressy sportswear look. I don't know if this look and fabric weight will work for your work situation but you can try going to the llbean.com site and doing a search for drawstring another search for elastic and see if anything looks right for you.

Acacia is really helping my bloating a LOT. GL!! new
      #125560 - 11/26/04 05:30 PM
ecmmbm

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle

me too... new
      #125593 - 11/27/04 03:42 AM
khyricat

but it hasn't stopped the multiple pant sizes thing- now even when I screw up the biggest fluctuation is like 3-4 inches though... instead of never going down adn then being an extra 5-10 on top of that! I can believe my natural waistline sans bloat is a size 6, I couldnt' believe it was a 12 when I was as thin elsewhere as I was and weighed as little as I did... now I rarely need the 12's - only when I really screw up and then I don't bother and just go waistless dress or sweats... but the 6's are never comfy end of day.. soemtimes 8's are, sometimes they are tight and I really should be in 10's then... I talked ot dh about it but I think the culprit is onions and I refuse to give them up totally as there won't be a lot of flavor left in things, but I will basically stop EATING them, just leave them in things to cook the flavor and then pull the solid out and see if that helps! seemed ok last night with the gravy!

Amie

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Old Navy drawstring jeans! new
      #125792 - 11/28/04 10:50 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Amie, what about drawtstring jeans?? I found a pair not too long ago that are the most comfortable things in the world, bloated or not. Here's a pic:

They're from Old Navy and you can check them out here: web page

Theese particular pants are "just below the waist", but they have some at the waist if you prefer! Just a thought. I love mine!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Old Navy drawstring jeans! new
      #125795 - 11/28/04 10:56 AM
khyricat

I normally don't do jeans (not business casual here at work, but not casual either...) I'l hae to check them out.. but their pants always looked wierd on me when I tried them on before...

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

#125830 - 11/28/04 12:56 PM
Asa

I don't know if you saw it but I posted a message on llbean knit pants. You can go to their site and do a search in the women's knit pants area for drawstring or elastic. These pants provide a sporty casual look.

What I didn't mention before is that you can also use the virtual model on their site....eventhough that made me a bit depressed because I put in my large waist line size when I bloat up...but it gave me an idea how it would fit on me and whether or not I should purchase it.

You might also check out Lands End they also have a strech knit with elastic selection.

#125833 - 11/28/04 01:05 PM
khyricat

and so does petite sophisticate now, and my favorite pants are from their older line.. so I'm going to go try them... but thanks, I'll try the other too!

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Lands' End... new
      #125874 - 11/28/04 03:31 PM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

... also has a nice what they call "Women's Easy-care Elastic Waist Sport Pants" which are as neat looking as chinos, but quite comfortable. Check it out here.

#125936 - 11/28/04 08:23 PM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

Hi Amie!

I've been following this post for a bit - but don't have any advice on good pants. Would it be possible for you to talk to your boss about some lienency in the dress-code? Maybe that would help as far as finding something comfortable?

Good luck!

--------------------
~*Amber*~

#125948 - 11/28/04 10:39 PM
ibsfla

Reged: 06/30/04

haven't posted for awhile, but just had to respond to your photo--if I didn't know better, I would think I was looking at myself--RIGHT NOW!!! Seemed to get horribly worse after trying to take iron pills--now I stopped the pills but the bloating is still hanging around--thanks for the info on the jeans-must try them!

Re: Lands' End... new
      #125990 - 11/29/04 05:51 AM
khyricat

I'm off tyo look for these as well as the ones I found at petite sophisticate online yesterday (I have a coupon for 25$ off a 100$ purchase from them and they have a travel set- coordinated pants, 2 skirts (long and short), sweater and jacket that are all knit with elastic waists in charcoal and would work well for me... for about that...

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

#126034 - 11/29/04 08:43 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

I thought about you today when I was driving home from work in pants that felt so tight I couldn't stand it. They were very comfortable when I left home this morning.

I have seen pants that are made like regular pants but have adjustable waist bands. I don't know if they make them anymore but they were made like dress pants and they had a clip that flipped up and you could make the waist larger. Dresses are really the most comfortable but with my job it is just too darn cold to wear them in the winter plus I have to wear comfortable shoes because I do alot of walking.

I'm just glad I am not the only one who comes home at the end of the day looking pregnant.

--------------------
Janey

#126043 - 11/29/04 08:56 AM
khyricat

its just nice to see so many others like me... I found a great set at petite sophisticate..a dn I love dresses too, but I freese in them in the winter outside, so pants or really long skirts/dresses help more.. and since i"m petite its hard to find long dresses that look nice..

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Re: Acacia is really helping my bloating a LOT. GL!! new
      #126188 - 11/29/04 02:04 PM
Asa

This is a reply to:Acacia is really helping my bloating a LOT. GL!!

This is good to know...I assume you have been through a million tests with the drs. also...I am new to this site so to my understanding this is product I can order from this site..is this correct?

Yes, that's correct. -nt- new
      #126231 - 11/29/04 07:12 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#126571 - 12/01/04 09:06 AM
LittleLamb

Reged: 07/22/04
Loc: USA

Oh my goodness. I know exactly how this feels!

About a year after I was dx with IBS-D, I drank some apple juice. About 10 minutes later, my abdomen blew up like a balloon. I could literally sit and watch it grow. My skin was stretched out and tight - ouch! My husband came home from work and he couldn't believe it - he said it looked like I was 8 months pregnant. Then later the gas came......UGH.

Needless to say, I don't drink apple juice anymore! Hah!

I wear dresses almost exclusively now due to IBS comfort issues. When I was pregnant with my daughter my abdomen was really sensitive and I couldn't stand to wear anything with a waist. So, I wore maternity dresses almost the whole pregnancy. I was amazed at how comfortable I was and I continued that after my pregnancy.

For cold weather, I just wear silk long underwear beneath my dresses - I have ivory & white for light colors, black for darker. Since they are so light and thin it doesn't bother my tummy. The nice part is that if I get hot, I can just go in the restroom and take off the long underwear.

An added bonus - I notice that when I am out shopping or whatever that I get treated very well if I am wearing dresses. Men hold doors for me, offer to help me with packages, stand and give their seats to me, salespeople are more attentive - in short, I get treated like a lady. It sure is nice.

I have found some great relatively inexpensive places to get dresses of all tastes and styles - even in petites! I would be happy to help any of you who would like suggestions.

#126572 - 12/01/04 09:13 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03

I didn't read through the rest of the posts, but I definitely recommend maternity pants. I'm 8w along and I can't stand anything tight around my waist. I found a couple of pairs at Motherhood. I'm not really showing at all, just bloated, and they are so comfy. The pair I'm wearing today are black dress pants with a wide elastic waist-band. They can sit low on your hips or pulled up over your waist.

I plan on wearing first trimester maternity pants forever!!!

--------------------
~jules

Re: Wearing dresses instead? new
      #126588 - 12/01/04 10:17 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

You don't wear nylons with the dresses do you? Those are horribly painful. So do you just bye really long dresses so the legs don't show at all?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Pants that fit, for work! new
      #126596 - 12/01/04 10:31 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I posted this a while ago on the living room but here it is again: http://www2.victoriassecret.com/collection/index.cfm?cgnbr=OSCLOFITCHR&rfnbr=8658 They are from Victoria Secret, which I alway find to run a size small. they come in three leaghnths and different materials, if you decide to try them, order a size larger than you normally wear. I have 3 pairs. They are cut really big in the waist. In fact, in the am, they are a bit too big so I wear a belt. By lunch, when the bloating starts, I just loosen the belt a notch. They are not real low on the waist. When I sit down, they still come above my belly button. I have just found the cut of them to be very ibs friendly. I too, live in dresses in the summer and struggle in the winter.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#126597 - 12/01/04 10:32 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I almost always find elastic waists to be too tight, its like the elastic isn't long enough or its too stiff. I end up trying to cut the elastic

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

sources for dresses and long underwear... new
      #126606 - 12/01/04 10:54 AM
khyricat

I hadn't thought of the long underwear.. in the summer I just go bare legged.. I love my dresses, but in the winter- I live in MI, it gets cold and wet and long dresses aren't an answer normally on their own.. but silk underwear instead of tights might help= tights and stockings are just too uncomfortable...

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

#126736 - 12/01/04 03:40 PM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

The cool thing about these is that they're elastic with a drawstring, so you can kinda customize the fit. I find em super comfortable.

ECMMBM - Re: Have you seen this? new
      #126805 - 12/01/04 07:05 PM
beth71

Reged: 09/03/04
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas

Thank you soooooooooo much for showing the picture of your belly at it's worst, and the suggestion for the Levi's jeans. I too have had a belly that looked like that, mostly for no reason and my pants have always been too tight. I spend most of my time running out and about in sweats or workout pants (not too stylish) and feeling pretty bad at how I look. Jeans were always too tight for my belly...I went on ebay to find the jeans you suggested...wow, what a Godsend!!! They are sooooo comfortable and sit low enough that they don't pressure my belly at all. Thank you!!!

~Beth

Re: sources for dresses and long underwear... new
      #126972 - 12/02/04 08:56 AM
LittleLamb

Reged: 07/22/04
Loc: USA

Well - to answer your & Augie's questions...

1. Wintertime: Most of my winter dresses are mid calf to lower calf length (for warmth). For upper layering, cardigans are great with dresses. In the winter, I wear boots for warmth and practicality. I have some nice leather side zip boots that are tall - just under the knee. For really bad weather, I have black snow type boots (Lands' End) that don't look tacky with my dresses. Taller boots are great because they keep you warmer and drier. They also hide the part of your legs that your dress doesn't cover so no need for nylons/tights! Also - if you wear long underwear under your dress, no one will know!

2. As for hosiery, I avoid pantyhose/tights at all costs. I loathe them. If I absolutely must wear hosiery, I try to get away with knee highs or thigh highs. But, if you wear taller boots, no need to worry about these.

3. Silk long underwear are sooooooooooooo comfortable. Lands' End sells them in petite sizes as well. They are a bit expensive ($25 per piece) but last forever if you take proper care of them and are more like an investment. Get white or ivory ones for lighter colored dresses and black for your darker dresses.

4. Summertime - I just wear my dresses with no hosiery usually. If it would be inappropriate for me not to wear hosiery, I try to get away with thigh highs or knee highs, depending on the length of the dress.

Good sources for dresses are Chadwicks of Boston www.chadwicks.com, Lands' End www.landsend.com and Eddie Bauer www.eddiebauer.com also try their outlet www.eddiebaueroutlet.com All of these sites sell petites - Yay! Eddie Bauer and Lands' End can be expensive - watch for sales at their sites. Chadwicks always has items on clearance and you can find amazing deals, especially off season.

I have had luck with these sites because I am petite and if I wore "normal" sized dresses I would look dumpy! There are other places that sell petites too - Coldwater Creek, Barrie Pace, Nordstrom.com, L.L. Bean, .....I am sure there are tons out there. Probably one to suit anyone's taste or personal sense of style.

Good luck!

#127272 - 12/03/04 07:48 AM
sueAngell

Reged: 12/03/04

Oh, Michelle! I just found this post. Thank you thank you thank you for posting that picture. Thank you. I have been thinking that I'm out of my mind when I look in the mirror and see my stomach in profile. I know I'm not fat, I don't eat enough...but what is wrong with me? The IBS and bloating is terrible right now...and to see that I'm not alone was very, very helpful. Thank you. You don't know how you just made my day!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1464 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16608

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review