Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What all needs to be ruled out...
      #12374 - 06/24/03 08:30 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

...for a positive IBS diagnosis?

I keep reading that all other diseases and disorders need to be ruled out before a doctor can make a positive diagnosis. I want to make sure that my doctor is doing all of the correct tests to make sure that I don't have something other than IBS. He went through a bunch of diseases and disorders with me, but said that some aren't necessary to test because of my age and health status and family history (I'm 25). (My background and 'story' is in the thread "My doc has told me to stop")

Here's what I've gathered so far:

Ulcer, tumor, anemia, celiac, Chrohn's, food allergies, lactose intolerance.

I've had a barium x-ray along with blood work to rule out anemia (and a couple of other items that I can't remember right now). I also had to call my doc's office and ask them to run a test for celiac, which they are doing.

Am I missing anything else? I want to be armed with information when I go in for my one month check-up after being on his diet.

My grandmother has pancreatic cancer, diabetes, and has IBS when she was younger.

--------------------
~jules

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What all needs to be ruled out... new
      #12376 - 06/24/03 09:07 AM
Laurie

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Houston, TX

I suggest getting tested for H.Pylori. It's been known to cause other problems than eating away at the lining of your stomach. I think there is either a breath or blood test or the upper EGD test.

--------------------
Laurie

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission - Eleanor Roosevelt

#12387 - 06/24/03 10:24 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Jules - Great pic!

Here's a link to diagnostic info for IBS - web page and here's the criteria used for a diagnosis web page

Some things are unlikely in younger people (colon cancer, diverticulitis). Celiac is the one thing most often overlooked, and sometimes for women endometriosis or ovarian cancer is a possibility, so you may end up seeing an ob/gyn if need to be ruled out.

Otherwise, it sounds like you've had a pretty good diagnostic work-up.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#12391 - 06/24/03 10:48 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

awesome, aweseome, awesome! thanks for taking the time to post the link, when i could have done the dang research on my own.

:-)

--------------------
~jules

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4616 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 645

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review