All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
High Fructose Corn Syrup
      #12352 - 06/24/03 03:57 AM
Kristin

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: New Jersey

I'm very confused about high fructose corn syrup. I know we're supossed to avoid it, but it seems to be in everything! I thought I was doing well with my English Muffins, breads and Kix cereal, but I just checked and they all contain the syrup. Please help!
Thanks,
Kristin

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup new
      #12358 - 06/24/03 05:40 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Krsitn,

Hi there!

It is VERY frustrating, I'm with ya there!

English Muffins have corn syrup? That's SO WEIRD!

Do you have breadmaker? You may want to consider one...that way you can make your own bread, less processed and much healthier (especially for IBS)!

Read the ingredients before you buy something! This takes some getting used to...but after a while you'll do it out of habit--and you'll be muh healthier for it!

You're totaly not alone in your frustration! And, you're right, corn syrup is in EVERYTHING! But on the plus side--you'll be better off in the long run without it!!!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup new
      #12386 - 06/24/03 10:15 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Kristin - With fructose, quantity is often key. There is such a small amount of it in things like English muffins, breads, cereals, etc. and on top of that you're getting a soluble fiber basis, that it's not likely to cause problems. There are some folks who are very fructose intolerant (and actually this can be a separate thing from IBS). If you're tolerating the foods just fine, don't worry about it. It's more of a problem in things like bottled drinks, where high fructose corn syrup is one of the main ingredients.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4756 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 410

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review