All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Help! Tried Fibercon for first time - bad reaction!
      #1229 - 02/22/03 10:50 AM
lynnl

Reged: 02/10/03

Hi, I've been reading Heather's books and other posts on this board and it seemed that Fibercon was helping a lot of people, even though since I have Ibs-D, I was skeptical. I tried it this morning and have been having URGENT attacks.(couldn't even take a shower without getting out!) Is this normal for the first time, I know your body must have to get use to it, but I can't risk this again - Thank goodness it's Saturday and I don't have to go to work! I don't know how I can go on like this - I'm having anxiety attacks everytime I get in my car and do not want to go anywhere! I have a husband and four sons and this is difficult since I am always having to drive somewhere. I was on Lotronex before they took it off the market and it worked wonderful - I had my life back and now my doctor says it's too dangerous to go back on - I think I would take the risk not to live like this, because it's not really living if you feel you can't go anywhere- always wondering about an attack. Sorry to go on - having a really bad day and week. It's so nice to have found this place for support and venting. Again- sorry for the rambling!
Lynn

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help! Tried Fibercon for first time - bad reaction! new
      #1230 - 02/22/03 11:58 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

I tried fibercon once and had a bad experience too. I never took it again. I have been nervous about trying other brands. I have taken citricel a couple of times without any problem. I am just never sure when to take it. Maybe fibercon doesn't work well for us. You may want to try another brand. Sorry, I'm not a ton of help. I hope things go better soon.

#1235 - 02/22/03 02:28 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - My guess on this is that there is an inactive ingredient in the pills you reacted to. It really almost can't be the soluble fiber itself - there is no logical explanation for how that would happen. Soluble fiber soothes and regulates GI contractions, and normalizes water in content in the bowel. It is fabulous for diarrhea. It is NOT a laxative, and you absolutely should not have to experience attacks as your body gets used to it. It should help right almost right away, with no side effects, especially if you start with a lower dose and gradually increase (and have lots of water with it).

See if you can find Benefiber powder or plain, unflavored Citrucel powder. You want a supplement that has nothing in it at all but the soluble fiber. Try 1 teaspoon of that twice daily for a few days.

You can always just stick to the soluble fiber foods instead of the supplements - things like rice, oatmeal, pasta, potatoes, etc.

I'm so sorry you had such a bad reaction - I really hope you're feeling better soon.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#1267 - 02/23/03 11:01 AM
lynnl

Reged: 02/10/03

Thanks for your response and support. I did try clear citrucil as well, and it didnt do well with me either. I think I will just stick with the foods and see how that works! Thanks again.
Lynn

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2099 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1807

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review