All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
IBS safe Jam
      #1211 - 02/21/03 06:31 PM
Peanut

Reged: 02/09/03
Loc: England

I am wondering what kind of jams are out there that are IBS friendly? I notice on the ingredients that with most the first listed is SUGAR! Should I steer clear from the ones with seeds? I am using one that is pumpkin butter (which seems to agree with me for now) and I love it, but don't want to get sick of it either. Any suggests would appericated!Thanks again everyone!

Sheri

--------------------
So much baking, so little time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS safe Jam new
      #1215 - 02/22/03 02:21 AM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

I would definately stay away from the ones with seeds. I have a ginger and mango jam that is delicious and you can also get plain mango conserve which is nice too.

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#1217 - 02/22/03 04:56 AM
Peanut

Thanks you for your suggestion. I will have a look around online and see if I can find a place that I can order that. It sounds tasty!

Sheri

--------------------

#1219 - 02/22/03 07:29 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Peanut - Pumpkin butter on flour tortillas is great. I use the 95% fat free 6" fajita tortillas (Mission) which is only 1 point in WW and a tsp of pumpkin butter which is only another 1 pt. I do that for a snack. Don't know if you do Wt Watchers (WW), but it's a pretty filling snack. I would imagine the jellies and jams that are natural (no sugar added) would be the best--without seeds of course.
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#1225 - 02/22/03 10:17 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Loc: Canada

Remember, sugar is ok for IBS, anyway. I totally indulge in jams. Just be aware they contain fruit and fruit juice which can sometimes cause trouble. I love grape jelly, seedless raspberry, and the occasional strawberry jam (but if you have trouble with seeds, be careful) Considering the amount that goes on toast, I think it is usually quite safe.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#1234 - 02/22/03 02:11 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Where do you guys shop? all the jellies i see in the supermarket are made with like 99.9% high fructrose corn syrup!

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#1239 - 02/22/03 02:37 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Kroger sells at least three brands of all-fruit jam, including their own (which I don't care for; I like Smucker's Simply Fruit). Anyway, as HanSolo pointed out, sugar isn't a problem for IBS.

#1240 - 02/22/03 03:00 PM
SharonMello

Loc: Groveland, CA

angela - tesslouise is right. the all fruit is good. i'm from nj about 25 yrs ago near cherry hill. what city are you near?
sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Re: Thank you! new
      #1248 - 02/22/03 04:59 PM
Peanut

I just wanted to thank all of you for the great suggestions and letting me know that sugar is okay.

I feel really lucky to have found a amazing group of friends like all of you!

Thanks again!,

Sheri

--------------------

#1249 - 02/22/03 08:08 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Lately I've been eating sweet potato butter. One of the things that drew me to it, besides the fact that I love sweet potatoes, is because of the soluble fiber of sweet potatoes. I found it at americanspice.com, if you're interested.

#1252 - 02/23/03 05:00 AM
Peanut

Thank you! Sweet Potato Butter sounds good and already bookmarked the site!

Sheri

--------------------

#1370 - 02/24/03 04:15 PM
Andie

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Western NY

I know sugar is not supposed to be a trigger, but I find it is. I have made Heather's pumpkin bread, banana bread, and zucchini bread and all give me trouble. Even the chocolate peppermint cake gives me trouble. Anything with sugar and flour and baked causes bad, rumbly, skunky gas - Small amounts of plain sugar like a hard candy or even Heather's pudding seem to be okay, but too much sugar or the baked goodies (even Heather's) seem to cause more potential embarassment than they are worth - and I do love them, so its a sacrifice!

#1392 - 02/25/03 05:24 AM
mmacrobbie

Reged: 02/12/03

I too have a problem with too much refined sugar. I have seen another nutritionlist in addition to following Heather's diet, and was told refined sugar causes bacterial growth in the intestines, causing the bloating/gas. I am able to tolerate organic yogurt (Stonyfield Farm works great at all grocery stores in my area)and the live cultures help to clean out the bad bacteria. I cannot use any sugar substitute so any other lowfat yogurt causes problems since it is usually in there.

#1416 - 02/25/03 11:03 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Andie - Have you been checked for celiac? I'd make sure you have the initial blood work for this if it's always the baked goods that set you off, but not sugar without flour. I'd be especially worried about this if things like plain white bread bother you as well.

If celiac has been ruled out then I think you're right and you just can't have much refined sugar.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#1452 - 02/26/03 10:51 AM
Andie

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Western NY

Thanks for your response, Heather. I do fine with white bread and can even eat whole wheat (12 grain) bread without any problem. I eat wheat cereals, I live on crackers between meals - its just the combination of wheat and sugar or something else in the baked goods??? Its not fun, but life could be worse! At 44, I consider the silver lining of IBS to be enforced healthy eating habits/weight control (most of the time!)

#1453 - 02/26/03 11:01 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Oh, it's so funny that you say that. I think there's a silver lining to IBS too in that it does make me pay attention to what I eat, and how much sleep I'm getting, and that I'm exercising...all those boring healthy things! I look at people eating a lot of trigger foods now and just think to myself how much better I like my food instead. It's rare that I feel like I'm missing something (though I do long for deep fried onion rings - and not just a taste but the whole order to myself!) But I'll see someone eating a big steak or pizza with a pool of melted cheese on it and feel nauseous more than anything, and grateful that I'm not eating something so bad for me. It's nice to just not feel that I'm missing out at all, and most of the time I really don't think I am.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1287 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15743

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review