Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Cough Syrup
      #12105 - 06/20/03 04:58 AM
Kimbo

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Edmonton, AB, Canada

Hey All!

I've been fighting a bad chest infection for the past week so have been taking my cough syrup before bed.

This morning (friday) I had 2 horrible attacks! I have never had one like this (air and water). They were nearly an hour apart from eachother. Then at 5pm (remember, I'm in Tokyo=time difference) I have a bout of diaherra at work. I hop on the train and then have to run to the station bathroom (ewwwwwwww) for another round.

I haven't been eating anything out of the ordinary. So could it be the cough syrup? This stuff is helping me breathe at night - not to mention sleep. I really don't want to have to avoid it!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Cough Syrup new
      #12106 - 06/20/03 05:00 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

Sounds like it might have alcohol in it! That will definitely trigger attacks....maybe look for a brand without the alcohol? Hope you are feeling better soon!

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

Re: Cough Syrup new
      #12198 - 06/20/03 02:45 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - check the ingredients. There may be artificial sweeteners, high fructose corn syrup, artificial flavors, or colors in there. All could trigger problems.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

How about herbal teas? new
      #12206 - 06/20/03 04:36 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

If you find it IS your cough syrup that is giving you attacks, and it sure sounds like it, you may want to try some herbal teas. If you have access to a health food store, go and consult them. They usually have quite a selection. You may want to ask to make sure that none of the herbs in a tea you pick causes your IBS symptoms to worsen (assuming you are an IBS-D). Some can.

Just to give you an idea (and by doing this I am in no way pushing this web site), here are the kinds of combinations out there that may help.

http://www.goodthings4u.com/teas.shtml

I know just to get to sleep I often use Traditional Medicinal's Nighty Night tea but they have herbal teas for all kinds of cold symptoms.

Web site:
http://www.traditionalmedicinals.com/our_teas.html

Kandee

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4743 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 802

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review