All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
resurgence of issues
      #1189 - 02/21/03 11:24 AM
mmacrobbie

Reged: 02/12/03

I was diagnosed with IBS about 4 yrs ago, and have tried to keep up on research and stumbled upon Heather's book, thankfully. I have IBS D/C, and suffer from gas. A year ago I changed my diet based on Heather's theories, also did an elimination diet and stopped eating foods that seem to hit me the worse, started excersing regularly, and started accupunture, take NOW peppermint oil pills with fennel and ginger-all of which worked wonderfully, made it through my wedding and just as the holidays were ending all my symptoms came back. Instead of having the one bad day every couple weeks, I am back to having one or 2 good days in this period. I was careful throughout the holidays, but not as careful as I needed to be-but 2 months later I still cannot get back on track....has anyone else had situations like this? If so any suggestions? I am feeling like I am getting to a desperate point where I just want to feel well and not sure what to do about it, which is not helping the situation at all!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: resurgence of issues new
      #1197 - 02/21/03 02:07 PM
Andie

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Western NY

I have gone through similar "cycling." Sometimes I feel like I barely have IBS (when being careful of what I eat and taking digestive enzymes/supplements) and others, it seems like nothing I do settles my intestinal tract. Stress is often a factor - I was wondering if newlywed status and the adjustments you have to go through could be keeping your system "out of whack." Are you continuing to exercise and all the other good things you were doing before? I think its safe to say you will stablize again. Best wishes with this annoying disorder.

#1198 - 02/21/03 02:18 PM
Yolanda

Reged: 02/01/03
Loc: New Hampshire

Can you do the elimination diet for a week or so and then go back to eating normally? Sometimes I do that to get my body back on track. Good luck!

#1202 - 02/21/03 02:22 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Hi,

I know exactly how you feel. Our situations sound very similar. I too, cannot get back on track after having been going so well for some time. It can feel so frustrating when you are still doing all the "right things" but to no avail.

I honestly don't know what to suggest to you as I am struggling so much as well at the moment. But I thought it might make you feel better to know you are not alone. Don't you just feel some days that this is all a bad dream and you'll wake up soon?

Congratulations on your wedding, I hope your husband is supportive of your IBS. Mine is very good (been married 6 years) although sometimes it is still hard for him because it is the same old story - it's hard to imagine when it's not happening to you.

Can you pinpoint any change back when your symptoms recurred? I keep asking myself this and I can see two factors. 1. I weaned myself off A- Depressants and 2. I stopped taking the pill. So my thoughts right now are that either I am not coping with stress well enough (even though I exercise , do yoga etc.) or hormonally I am a mess and that is affecting the IBS. (I have PCOS, have not had a period since stopping the pill and am now going through fertility treatment)

Right now, I am considering hypnotherapy as an option of further trying to control stress. I don't feel that stressed but I'm thinking obviously my body is. I am either going to order the IBS audio program or try to find a hynotherapist who is qualified in dealing with IBS.

I am really tempted to return to the anti-dep. but since I am pursuing a pregnancy that is not an option.

Anyway, I hope this helps, I am a sympathetic ear if you need one!

It has helped me feel better just getting my thought out too!

Let me know how you are going.

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#1204 - 02/21/03 03:15 PM
mmacrobbie

Thank you for the support! The only thing I can pinpoint is holiday eating, as much as I was careful, there were still a few too many treats that only come once a year. Thankfully my husband is very supportive, and has even coped with the dietary changes that effect dinner! As for the pill, I decided to come off that a year ago when I decided to go for the diet change and accupunture.
I have been thinking about hypnotherapy also. I am new to this chat site, do you have a website that specializes in tapes for IBS?

Thank you again for the support!

#1205 - 02/21/03 03:16 PM
mmacrobbie

That is a good suggestion also.

IBS hypnotherapy new
      #1207 - 02/21/03 04:01 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I think the best tapes available for self-hypnosis for IBS (as opposed to seeing a local hypnotherapist) are by Mike Mahoney. His website is http://www.ibsaudioprogram.com/

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#1208 - 02/21/03 05:00 PM
Kathy

Boy, do I relate!!! I was doing well until about January 13 (my birthday) and it hit me full force. I am IBS-D/C. I missed 3 weeks of work because I couldn't leave the house. I am my sole support so when I can't work--can't pay bills. I haven't figured out what went wrong in January, but it gets like that every once in awhile. I am still on the bananas, rice, applesauce, toast and oatmeal diet. I am getting pretty fed up with that food. So I have about 2-3 good days each week. I am totally afraid to try anything new to my diet. (God! What I wouldn't give right now for even a fish sandwich from Skipper's.) The point is, we are not well at all. You will fluctuate between good and bad for a long time. So we have to grin and bear it I guess. Sorry, I'm not in the best of moods today. (bad day at "black rock".) My boss is a power hungry jerk who thinks that I told my doctor to say I was in trouble healthwise. But we are here for you anytime!! Anytime you feel the need--HOLLER AT THE REST OF US!!!

Re: IBS hypnotherapy new
      #1209 - 02/21/03 05:05 PM
Kathy

Oh, I forgot to tell you that I have purchased the IBS hypnotherapy tapes. I have only had a chance to listen to the first part of tape one so can't give any clues at this time about how they work. Everytime I get a few free minutes to listen to the tapes, somebody comes to the door, the phone rings, or my grandkids show up. DUH! I figure I already "did my time" so leave me alone for awhile, already!

#1216 - 02/22/03 02:24 AM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Kathy,

Please let me know if the tapes help. I would love to hear from someone who has tried them before I outlay the money.
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1759 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4944

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review