All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Are Acorn and Spaghetti Squash safe foods?
      #1187 - 02/21/03 07:39 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

I am trying to re-introduce more veggies and such into my daily menu and I thought that squash sounded good last night when I was at the store so I bought a spaghetti and acorn squash. Can I eat them? Does anyone have trouble with them? What are some good ways to fix them?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Are Acorn and Spaghetti Squash safe foods? new
      #1188 - 02/21/03 08:22 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

I use spaghetti squash as a sub for spaghetti with sauces. If you cut in half lengthwise and put cut side down in flat bottom dish, put in about 1/4" water and cover with plastic wrap with a vent and cook in micro, it does'nt take long at all. Then use a fork to scrape out the "spaghetti". This might be good mixed with rice or little pastas with one of Heather's sauces mixed in. It reallyy doesn't have much of a flavor by itself, but then I can't smell so my taster's off a bit too. It might have a better taste to someone who doesn't have smelling problems. Good luck.
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#1199 - 02/21/03 02:20 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

In general, all squash are very safe for IBS as they're really high in soluble fiber. You can roast squash, bake it, microwave it, or cook it into a soup. Either fresh whole squash or frozen chunks of squash work best. The frozen pureed kinds don't taste very good compared to fresh.

I like to roast buttercup or acorn squash, then chop the cooked flesh and mix into cooked pasta. This is really good with some shredded fresh herbs, balsamic vinegar, fresh lemon zest, or other seasonings. I don't use a recipe, just throw ingredients in and keep tasting. I like capers in there too, but a lot of people don't care for these.

Squash and root veggies are very safe for IBS, and they're also really healthy, so enjoy!

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#1200 - 02/21/03 02:21 PM
Yolanda

Reged: 02/01/03
Loc: New Hampshire

I love spaghetti squash and have never had a problem eating it. I eat it instead of pasta all the time. Yum!

#1326 - 02/24/03 08:46 AM
Nugget

Thank you, Heather, for taking the time to post. It's so very much appreciated. I can now fix the spaghetti or acorn squash that I have tonight after work. I'll let you know the results.

#1327 - 02/24/03 08:47 AM
Nugget

Thanks....I'll give it a try

#1328 - 02/24/03 08:48 AM
Nugget

Thank you, Sharon....I'll see what kind of uses I can come up with and let you know

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2212 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8252

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review