All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
What does everyone here do for a living and how does IBS affect your work?
      #11288 - 06/10/03 01:46 PM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

I am a graphic designer with a local company and am lucky that I can go to the rest room when ever necessary. Although it is a little embarrassing that everyone knows when and how often I go to the rest room, but oh well. I can't imagine how tough it would be to get away from a classroom if I were a teacher.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What does everyone here do for a living and how does IBS affect your work? new
      #11292 - 06/10/03 02:23 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I am a teacher! It is quite hard to get out and go to the bathroom! Thank G-d I don't have diarrhea.......but it's pretty bad when I get gassy! (And I go to the bathroom a lot when I drink a lot...and that's embarassing enough....or when I'm constipated and there's a million kids in the bathroom! Yikes!)

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: What does everyone here do for a living and how does IBS affect your work? new
      #11293 - 06/10/03 02:24 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I work in a small optical office. It is just the doctor, who is only in 2 days a week and me. Its hard because if I need some time in the bathroom, I have to lock the door than try to make up excuses to my patients why the door was locked! It also means I had better be dying for me to get a sick day because if I am not there the office doesn't open. Needless to say I have to go to work a lot when I should be staying home! But I like my job and my boss and I can't complain about my pay, so what do you do!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#11298 - 06/10/03 03:33 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

hi; IAM A TUPPERWARE CONSULTANT,do tupperware parties so my time is my own and I work my own hours. I don't think I could do the 9-5 thing anymore because I don't think I hav e the stamina for it and of course, meals wise would be a little difficult to do as well.

#11300 - 06/10/03 03:46 PM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

I am a student taking distance education, so it is great to be home during the winter months, however right now I am a biology technician for 4 months...when I am in the office I feel comfortable "going" and "flatulating" whenever I want, there are very few females working in the building so the rest room is almost always free, besides my cooworker and she is great about my condition. However, I sometimes have to fly around all day in Helicopter, and it is not so nice then, It sometimes makes me sick to my stomach, so have to land in the woods sometimes!!

#11301 - 06/10/03 04:12 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

I sell on Ebay. It's a perfect job for me as I work at home. I can tailor my shopping trips according to my "schedule".

#11302 - 06/10/03 04:33 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I used to teach but thankfully I taught 1st grade so we had a potty in our room. Of course it was a little kiddie sized one so that made it interesting! But with my IBS-C/P there wasn't always so much D going on as just those moments that I was in so much pain I thought I might faint out on the kids, that was my big fear! Now I'm full time Mommy to my 3 kiddos (4, almost 3, and Sarah will be one tomorrow!). Being home is helpful but still so busy and it can REALLY get in the way!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#11321 - 06/10/03 08:22 PM
juniorrachel

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: St. Louis, MO

this is a great thread to start... i'm always curious to find out about other people's lives and stuff.

i'm in school for cosmetology right now. the staff at school knows about my disorder and are really great about it. the only time my ibs is seriously a problem is when i have an attack in the middle of a service... like a perm or hilites or something intensive like that. thankfully that has only happened once or twice, but it does make me nervouse when i'm feeling a little sick in the morning. usually on those days i ask to be put on "dispensary duty" - helping people mix color, keeping things clean, washing towels, etc...

beth

#11328 - 06/10/03 11:09 PM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

i work nights as a janitor . i am close to bathrooms when i need to use one. i usally take a caltrate with a nuelev pill every day before going to work. if i worked during the day i would have a srious problem with my ibs.

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

#11329 - 06/10/03 11:17 PM
jasperlovel

ruchie do you take any gas pills at all? doesnt this ibs suck bad. some people dont under stand ibs people it seems like.

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

#11332 - 06/11/03 05:01 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

I am an Interior Designer with an office furniture dealership and have access to a restroom when necessary. My problem is MY BOSS and his personality. He thinks that he is king and when someone is sick, he likes to make a spectacle of it in front of everyone. Needless to say, I have had some stressful moments at this job due to him. I LOVE my line of work, so that isn't the problem! My husband and I are actually trying to move back to Pittsburgh...pending he can find a teaching job! That is where we are both from, and want to go back home! Oh well..I am off on a tangent!

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

Re: Christiane new
      #11333 - 06/11/03 05:04 AM
Snow for Sarala

I REALLY hope that works out for you and your hubby! Good luck on him getting a job so you can move back home! You deserve it! I'm so sorry about that boss of yours....yuck! You should feel REALLY good about yourself that you just let it roll off your back...attitude!

Good luck--and a BIG THANKS for all your help on the board!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#11335 - 06/11/03 05:06 AM
Snow for Sarala

Awwww, happy 1st birthday! ENJOY!!!!!!!!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Christiane new
      #11336 - 06/11/03 05:08 AM
tnchawk

Ruchie...Thank YOU for always being so sweet and caring! You are a wonderful person! I hope that you are feeling well! I appreciate the good luck wishes...we are close, but teaching jobs are SO hard to come by in PA. I basically have a job if I want, but we can't live on just my salary, so his is important. I know that as soon as I get AWAY from this idiot boss of mine...I will feel MUCH better! Thanks again!

((hugs back!))

Christianne

--------------------

#11337 - 06/11/03 05:08 AM
Snow for Sarala

Wow! You have quite an interesting life! Do you fly the helicopter yourself--is that how you can land whenever you need to? I think it's great you're doing all you despite the IBS. Good for you!!!!!!!

Always,

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: jasperlovel new
      #11338 - 06/11/03 05:12 AM
Snow for Sarala

I don't take any gas pills. I used to take GasX...but it seems to make things worse (it makes the trapped gas come out...but when you're at work, that's BAD news!) I actually hold in--VERY unhealthy--as I haven't found a better solution! Someone on the boards recommends taking charcoal pills. I've spent SO much money on trying different remedies for my tummy this year (my first year of marriage) I feel bad asking my hubby to keep spending our limited money on it. If you have the money, I would try the charcoal pills. Do a search for it on the boards and you'll find out lots of info. Good luck and keep me posted!!!!!

Always,

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Thanks - Sarah's birthday pictures new
      #11340 - 06/11/03 05:32 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Thanks Ruchie! I'll shamelessly share the link to pictures of her tea party we had on Saturday, it was so fun to put on a girly party after 2 boys, I've always enjoyed their's too of course but you know what I mean! :>)

http://pages.ivillage.com/jedimommy/sarahsfirstbirthday/

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Re: Thanks - Sarah's birthday pictures new
      #11342 - 06/11/03 05:35 AM
tnchawk

Those are so cute...thanks for sharing!

--------------------

Re: Thanks - Sarah's birthday pictures new
      #11344 - 06/11/03 05:42 AM
Snow for Sarala

Thank YOU for sharing those ADORABLY SWEET pictures!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't WAIT until I have children!!!!!!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Great pictures Michelle!!NT new
      #11351 - 06/11/03 06:30 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

#11354 - 06/11/03 06:40 AM
BarbaraS

Loc: Wisconsin

I started off 12 years ago as an Optician and evantually started Teching of Opth. C has always been my problem, so I have to deal with more stomach pain. I haven't worked for 21/2 years and decided last Fall to go back to school for Nursing. This Fall I will be a full time student (since my baby is going to Kindergarten ) and if all goes well I will have my Bachelors Degree as an RN in three years.

#11359 - 06/11/03 06:52 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03

I taught grade 7 and 8. Needless to say, I leave the room and I return to chaos. I finally gave up eating until I finished for the day (toast for breakfast and rice for lunch). Sad. That was before Heather's diet. It was SO frustrating, and the bathroom was 2 hallways and a flight of stairs away! And I'm IBS-D! I did have some classes I could leave, but others absolutely not. It was so brutal.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#11360 - 06/11/03 07:04 AM
artist

Reged: 05/28/03

I taught Kindergarten for 8 years. Fortunately, we team taught in an inclusion classroom. So I always had support. Five year olds are exhausting however, and sometimes they have more potty problems than we do. It is a hard job when you don't feel your best. I recently took a leave of absence to pursue my dream of being an artist full time. My husband has been wonderful about this and I am grateful for the opportunity.

#11363 - 06/11/03 07:20 AM
Catherine

Reged: 05/28/03

I'm lucky - I do research and marketing for the retail division of a commercial real estate company. That means if I'm in pain, I can usually choose a project that will allow me to sit quietly at my computer. The bathrooms, unfortunately, are right behind the receptionist's desk, but she's a good friend of mine (I actually helped get her this job). I secretly suspect she has IBS, too - she just calls it "issues."

#11366 - 06/11/03 07:32 AM
ColbySD

Reged: 06/09/03
Loc: San Diego, Ca

Sounds like most of us are fortunate in our work situations. I work for a local safety supply company as their webmaster and marketing coordinator. For the past 7 months I have been given the opportunity to work from my home, which has been a blessing. Since I have no children my only social connections have been at the grocery store , kinda looking forward to getting back to work to interact with some people.

Colby

--------------------
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.
--Bern Williams

#11367 - 06/11/03 07:40 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

Thank you everyone for all your responses. It's been nice to learn how others deal with this situation. Thank you so much for sharing experiences, suggestions, cute child photos, and most of all support.

It shows how strong we are that we don't let this IBS-D or C get in our way. We just find a way around it and ways to cope with it.

#11368 - 06/11/03 07:42 AM
Chris

Loc: Kansas

Luckily I don't have to work yet (I just turned 16), but the last 3 months of my freshman year of high school were horrible. I missed 50 days of school in three months, I only had one or two attacks at school, most were at night and almost flunked out of every course. Luckily where I live they offer an alternate high school where you can do all your schoolwork at home and take all the tests over the computer, and earn a diploma.I love it, because of my IBS-D I can go to the bathroom when ever I want to, and I have almost no stress.

Re: jasperlovel new
      #11375 - 06/11/03 09:28 AM
jasperlovel

thanks ruchie for this information. i will keep you posted.

--------------------

#11377 - 06/11/03 09:44 AM
Laurie

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Houston, TX

I am an executive assistant. There are 3 women in our company and we all work here in the same office. I am lucky one woman is my mother-in-law and she has Ulcerative Colitis and is very understanding. The other girl has been diagnosed with IBS-C. The guys at work no about my problem, and often ask me lots of questions about it. My job can be very stressful from time to time so I do have flare ups at work and have to leave early to avoid rush hour traffic. Sometimes I've had to come in late waiting for my stomach to settle, but all in all they are very supportive. They even changed my hours because I never leave for lunch. I worked at a school as an attendance clerk when I was first diagnosed. I don't know what I would do now that it has harder to control.

--------------------
Laurie

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission - Eleanor Roosevelt

#11416 - 06/11/03 04:36 PM
mickeymouse

I dont' fly the helicopter, although it would be fun! I love my job, except when I am sick, and unfortunately I get airsick at times too, double trouble! I was out Today, was a very long day and my stomach hates me right now! We basically tell the pilot where to go, so if I need to land for you know what, I can...However other jobs I had in the past have been horrible for IBS, such as working in an office supply store, I could not bring myself to use a public bathroom while customers were in the store, so it made my days worse!

question for everyone new
      #11448 - 06/11/03 11:28 PM
jasperlovel

has anyone tried. prelief? has anyone tried nuelev. nuelev is from the dr office. prelief can be bought at drug stores without perscriptions.

--------------------

#11449 - 06/11/03 11:59 PM
KinOz

Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Ruchie,
I can sympathise. I too am glad I am C and not D but I know what you mean about being gassy. Luckily, kids don't seem to notice it as much as adults would.

I too find it hard getting from break to break without needing to pee. I guess us lot with C are all chugging down a lot of water and it has to come out I guess!

Luckily, the teacher next to me (it's a double space classroom) is happy to keep an eye out while I run off. I haven't told many people at work about the IBS, I think they all assume I have a weak bladder since childbirth or something!

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#11454 - 06/12/03 03:08 AM
tlc

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Australia

I'm a head of Department at a highschool. I teach English and Drama. Fortunately, I have a lot of spare lessons, so I don't have to worry too much about dashing to the loo, however, the drive home is a different story.

#11459 - 06/12/03 04:58 AM
Snow for Sarala

I'm so sorry you had to miss work and that you weren't feeling well I hope you have a MUCH better day today!!!

I think it's great that you can land whenever you need to! Do you take anything for air sickness? I've taken dramamine when I fly all my life. It makes me REALLY sleepy though! (But every person is different in that respect).

Enjoy your job, and Happy Thursday!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Kerrie new
      #11464 - 06/12/03 05:10 AM
Snow for Sarala

Me too! LOL They must think I have a weak bladder...although I don't have any excuse for it! Many people I work with know my situation at this point. We're like a family in the community where I live--and people have each other over a lot...so you end up telling folks that you can't eat this or that...and they DO ask questions. (Because they care). LOTS of people in my community have food allergies, stomach probs, etc. (unfortunately), so I don't seem to stand out.

Ok, I rambling.

I hope you're doing well Kerrie

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Prelief is great! new
      #11527 - 06/12/03 01:17 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

They're in the middle of conducting studies on its use for IBS. I think it works really well for acidic foods.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#11543 - 06/12/03 03:36 PM
Leanne01

Reged: 02/03/03

I work at a hospital and I'm secretary and I have a bathroom next door to my office. Everybody knows that I have a spastic colon every now and then and I drink water like crazy during the day and we always let each other know when we have to go to the bathroom. The bathroom that is next door to my office, people do go in there to do the '#2' and believe me it can't get pretty smelly in there We have matches and Spray but not everybody uses it after they go.

Re: Prelief is great! new
      #11546 - 06/12/03 03:39 PM
ConcreteAngel

Loc: New Jersey,USA

Thats great! Acid is a major prob for me

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#11559 - 06/12/03 06:12 PM
Jenn

Reged: 04/05/03
Loc: NJ

My job is completely incompatible with IBS. I am in sales, and spend most of my day either in the car or meeting with prospective clients. As one can imagine, this leaves little opportunity for bathroom usage. The worst are dinner meetings I am expected to go to. The "vegetarian" meal at the last one was cheese tortellini with alfredo sauce. Nightmare! There is not the option of not eating it while you are sitting at a table with ten other people you are trying to network with. Needless to say I had to embarrassingly run out 5 minutes before the speaker was finished and made a beeline for the bathroom. My IBS has definately affected my work performance as of late, but I do think the stress of my job has contributed to the worsening symptoms, so it's just a vicious cycle

#11561 - 06/12/03 09:33 PM
meg

Reged: 01/29/03

I'm an LPN and used to work in a long term care facility. I found it quite difficult to work with the IBS, but I managed somehow. I miss it terribly...

What is Prelief? -nt- new
      #11661 - 06/14/03 05:10 AM
tlc

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Australia

Re: What is Prelief? -nt- new
      #11682 - 06/14/03 11:40 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I think this is what they're talking about: Prelief

prelief is new
      #11687 - 06/14/03 01:53 PM
jasperlovel

its a pill what takes acid out of acidy foods. it works a little for me.

--------------------

Re: Prelief is great! new
      #11712 - 06/14/03 10:07 PM
cloudygirl

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Washington

Hi everyone,
I use both coffee tamer, and prelief when I want to drink coffee. It really helps keep my heart burn at bay. I have greatly reduce my coffee intake. Prelief is a great product.
cloudygirl

#11746 - 06/16/03 12:11 AM
susaloh

Loc: Kiel, Germany

I used to work in university administration. I worked for a little college where I was the 'International Officer' organising the student exchange, 'Publication manager' editing the prospectus and leaflets and such. I did a lot of work in marketing and recruitment, too, and in conference organisation. I absolutely loved my work. My last job wasn't very satisfying because of colleagues and bosses, and really aggravated my IBS, basically I was something like a private secretary for a Professor but it was very boring.

Still, I yearn for it now for I'm now sitting at home and no job in sight. Not that I would have been able to work after loosing all my physical strength thanks to the IBS. I do feel much better physically now, especially since starting a hormone treatment, but my eating regime would make a normal job basically impossible.

So I'm trying to enjoy spending my husband's money, and being there for the family though I'm not really born for this kind of life, I'm not much of a homemaker, I'm more the bouncy organiser type, dealing with lots of people and such. Well, I know I should be very very happy with what I got, inspite of IBS and that I'm very very lucky to have no financial problems and two healthy kids, etc.

Greetings to all of you!!

Susanne

#11763 - 06/16/03 07:35 AM
RLU

Reged: 02/04/03
Loc: Jackson, Mississippi

I am a tax analyst for a Global Telecommunications company. I have C so I have more stomach pain, however I can make it to the restrooms as much as I want they are right around the corner and I am pretty much self managed so I am blessed in that.

--------------------
Screen Name: Nan275

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1602 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 32774

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review