Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
HEATHER- diet not working?
      #1118 - 02/20/03 04:41 AM
UKKath

Reged: 02/10/03
Loc: Britain

Heather,
Am i the only one this diet seems not to be working for?
I am fully behind the idea of the diet, it seems perfect, however i have been doing it for 3 weeks now and there seems to be no change in my problems, i am still getting D, gas and associated aches and pains as often as before, although i have started to put weight back on. Am i doing something wrong or is it jsut because my IBS (which has been confirmed by a colonoscopy) is caused by the anxiety and panic disorder i have just been diagnosed with?!!!
I am however much more confident now i am contact with other people with IBS.
Kathryn

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: HEATHER- diet not working? new
      #1120 - 02/20/03 05:58 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

A couple of thoughts, Kath. I also have an anxiety disorder - OCD. I was just dianosed this fall after having it for 20 years. If you are really upset about this, it could very well be the culprit of your troubles. Secondly, were you tested for a gluten intolerance? Heather posted a newsletter saying that we should all be tested for that, too. My cousin is just realizing that that is what she has and not IBS. Apparently IBSers have a 7X more likely chance of having it. Check out celiac.com for more info.
Finally, how are you incorporating your insoluble fiber? That may be a problem, or a hidden trigger that you're missing??? Just a few thoughts until Heather can get back to you. Take care.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#1124 - 02/20/03 06:10 AM
UKKath

Thanks for your reply, is good to pass a few ideas with likeminded people.
I have actually been tested for Gluten allergy twice, once by my GP and once by my consultant, both tests were negative.
I am thinking the IBS was a way for my body to tell me something is unwell in my head, ie the anxiety etc. The therapy is working so far (only 3 sessions) and now i have to retrain my gut-brain link?
As for the diet, i have based every meal on pasta, white bread, rice or potatoes and have made sure all my fruit and veg are well cooked. i have had trouble cutting out milk but have only a little skimmed milk on rice crispies in the morning, my main symptoms are before breakfast in the morning anyway, and have cut out all tea and fizzy drinks, i don't drink alcohol anyway (part of my anxiety and control seeking!)
Any more ideas?!
Kathryn

#1129 - 02/20/03 07:31 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I know how you must feel about Dairy. It is my love and my nemesis. It is the singlemost important factor in controlling my IBS. I would cut all dairy out, and perhaps decrease? your fruit/veggie intake TEMPORARILY. I have real trouble with fruit. Easier veggies include squash, sweet potatoes, cooked carrots - all mashable. Try drinking lots of herbal tea throughout the day, and focus on getting your anxiety under control. I find that if I'm anxious, IBS is worse. What anxiety disorder is it if you are comfortable saying? The therapy will take time and effort. Do you find your symptoms are worse in winter? Mine are. Thank God spring is around the corner. Also, if you can or have the inclination, short walks do wonders for both my anxiety and IBS. Take care!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#1135 - 02/20/03 07:45 AM
UKKath

Hi again,
I love walking too, is best at night when the air is all clean and fresh but not safe so can only go when persuade someone to come with me, poor boyfriend!!! i have done yoga for two weeks now and that seems good.
My psychologist says anxiety and a panic disorder, just worrying and overreacting about lots of things i shouldn't, don't know if it gets any more complicated that that but i do have a phobia of being sick so germs freak me out a bit too, and as soon as i hear of someone i know feeling/being sick i have a panic attack, worse when i feel sick with my IBS i have them all the time! nothing too serious though.
I have only just been diagnosed so not sure if worse in the winter, would be nice if that was the case!
K

#1142 - 02/20/03 11:00 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi there - I am so sorry you're still not feeling better. I would make sure you've added a non-psyllium soluble fiber supplement to your diet, especially last thing at night since you have problems first thing in the mornings.

I'd also really consider trying the IBS hypnotherapy tapes. They have a fantastic track record, especially when there are anxiety, panic, or social phobia issues that have become intertwined with the IBS. I really can't say enough about the success stories I've heard from people about the tapes, and there is great clinical research to back up hypnotherapy for IBS as well. I do think that if stress or anxiety of any kind is your major trigger then this has to addressed head-on, and the hypnotherapy is a safe as well as effective way to do this.

You might also, just as a trial and error, try sticking to rice, potatoes, and oatmeal for your soluble fiber foods for a week or two. Eliminate all the wheat and gluten that you can (so no white breads or wheat pastas or flour tortillas) and see what happens. I keep coming across more and more research showing that gluten intolerance and celiac are happening at a much higher rate than the standard diagnostic tests indicate. There was a terrific article about this in Today's Dietitian recently - I'm trying to find an on-line version to post, but so far I've only seen the coverage in the actual magazine.

Please let me know how things go.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1416 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3266

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review