All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Confused
      #11140 - 06/09/03 09:04 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Ok, Please bear with me a minute. I have cronic constipation, have read Heathers books. Been on the diet 3 weeks. Take 6-8 fiber con a day with at least 6 glasses of water. Stopped the Zelnorm, back on Mira-lax. I exercise at least 3 times a week.

So if high fat foods cause D for most people, doesn't it stand to reason that if I ate a really greasy meal it would get things moving???? I'm getting very frustrated. Have other people with C had success with this diet? If so, how long did it take to work? I do eat some insoluable fiber, green beans, strawberries that kind of stuff but always with soluble fiber. Do I need to live on rice and water completey for a while to get this to work???
Help..

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Confused new
      #11142 - 06/09/03 09:46 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Hi! I also have the same problem. I tried Metamucil and Fibercon tablets to no avail. (actually the Fibercon made my C worse!) I recently started on Benefiber and it really helped get things moving! My stomach is not near as bloated and it doesn't hurt anymore. You might want to try it. It has more grams of soluble fiber in it than the Fibercon tablets and I think the Metamucil too, so it just might be what you need to get things going. Good luck!

#11145 - 06/09/03 09:58 AM
michele

Thanks for the response. How much do you take a day? I tried Citricell and Metamucil in the past and they made me more bloated. Does it really have no flavor? I'm willing to try anything at this point!

--------------------

#11148 - 06/09/03 11:39 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I just started it Friday so I am trying to gradually increase my dose. I started with 1 Tablespoon in the morning and 1 Tablespoon at night, with lots of water and herbal teas (peppermint, fennel, or chammoile). Now I am drinking just a little (about a teaspoon) in water before my mid-day meal too. I am having a problem with bloating today but I was very bad at lunch (fast food that I was craving! I should know better.) Yes, it's true that Benefiber is colorless and tasteless. I usually just put it in a glass of water, but I have mixed it up in my morning bowl of oatmeal (after I cooked the oatmeal.) It says on the package that you can put it in any hot or cold drink or food such as pudding, applesauce, oatmeal, etc. If you haven't had success with other fiber supplements, I would definitely try it because they have different ingredients. You can also buy it in a box pre-packaged in little envelopes about the size of a Sweet n Low packet. I stuck some of those in my purse and today when I was out at lunch, I just sprinkled some of it in my water glass. Hope it helps you! If anyone else has suggestions as to the starting dose, I would like to hear how they take it.

Re: High fat foods and constipation new
      #11158 - 06/09/03 12:37 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi there - I agree that trying Benefiber is a good idea. The powders work better than pills from some people, and you'll get a higher dose with Benefiber as well.

Do you mean you drink six glasses of water a day? That could actually be increased - you could double it easily. It's amazing how much water you really need to drink for your GI tract to function well.

Also - fat is the single greatest digestive tract stimulant. When food enters your stomach, it triggers the gastrocolic reflex, which makes your colon start contracting. Fat will trigger the reflex more powerfully than any other type of food. So, this sounds like something that would trigger a bowel movement, which is what you want since you're constipated, right? There's a catch...people with IBS do not have a normal gastrocolic reflex response, and their colons tend to spasm irregularly and often too strongly. If those spasms are too strong they'll actually "seize up" the colon in a type of charley horse, and motility will stop cold. This will cause severe pain, from the ongoing cramping of the colon, and it will also cause or worsen constipation, because motility has shut down and nothing is moving through. Only when the muscles finally relax will you feel a little better, but it may take even longer after such a muscle spasm for normal motility to restart. This is why high fat foods can worsen constipation for IBS folks.

There's a corollary way that high fat foods worsen diarrhea for IBS folks (the muscle spasms result in gut contractions so fast and hard they rush matter through the colon, without enough time for water to be absorbed, causing pain from the spasms and diarrhea from the hypermotility).

So, though it sounds odd, high fat foods can be triggers for BOTH diarrhea and constipation if you have IBS. Soluble fiber normalizes bowel function from either extreme - that's why it helps both diarrhea and constipation.

I would add in as much insoluble fiber as you can, very carefully. Follow the guidelines, and to be very safe puree your fruits and veggies completely. Make fruit smoothies, veggie soups or pasta sauces you run through the blender, veggie dips for bread or baked corn chips, etc. Pureeing the foods will really minimize the risk of the insoluble fiber and let you eat quite a lot of it, which will help the constipation without risking an attack.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#11166 - 06/09/03 01:23 PM
michele

Thank you for responding Heather. That explanation does make more sense to me! I will start back at square one. Feeling bad today so just had a plain toasted bagel for lunch. Will stick to breads, rice and oatmeal for a few days.

Couple questions on safe foods...Do I need to peel my potatoes? And what about sweet pickles? I don't like tea, is a little lemonade ok? I do love low fat graham crackers with cinnamon, any restriction there?

Do I stop taking the fiber con when I try the Benefiber?

Thanks so much! I appricate your time and advice.

--------------------

#11167 - 06/09/03 01:35 PM
Laurie

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Houston, TX

I can answer the potato question. The skin is insoluble fiber. So when I'm flaring up bad I peel all potatoes when I'm doing Ok, I don't peel my baked potatoes and I eat the skin last after a soluble base.

--------------------
Laurie

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission - Eleanor Roosevelt

#11171 - 06/09/03 01:46 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Laurie's right, peel the potatoes. Be careful with pickles - they're cucumbers, so the peel and seeds are insoluble fiber. Plus they're in vinegar, which is acidic. Never eat them without a soluble fiber basis (like the bread in a sandwich).

Lemonade is acidic too, so be careful. Have you tried a wide range of herbal teas? You can sweeten them if you like. If not, just stick to fresh water.

Graham crackers are wonderful.

Drop the Fibercon when you switch to Benefiber, so you can see clear results. You can always add Fibercon back in and mix and match the pills and powder later.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1906 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3034

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review