All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I have ditched the Zelnorm
      #11134 - 06/09/03 07:41 AM
artist

Reged: 05/28/03

After 5 weeks of Zelnorm, I have decided to stop taking it. At first, I thought it might be helping with bloating somewhat, but it was just wishful thinking. For a powerful drug that has some rather scary possible side effects, I was hoping for some more dramatic results. To me, the risk is just too great without seeing more benefit. Back to the drawing board!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I have ditched the Zelnorm new
      #11135 - 06/09/03 08:11 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Yeah, me too! I have been on Zelnorm since January, I also thought it was helping with the bloating but I really don't think so! Lately, I've been SO constipated so its not even helping with that! I have started taking the Mira-Lax again, I was hoping Heathers diet would be enough but I've been on the diet 3 week and had two BMs! That is just not enough for me! I do plan to stay on the diet and just started to Mira-Lax again today.

I wans't aware of many side effects with the Zelnorm. What were you told?

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#11175 - 06/09/03 04:07 PM
artist

Michele, I have seen several sites on the internet connecting Zelnorm to ovarian cysts, it also mentions this in the package insert. I have had an ovarian cyst in the past, and was concerned I might be increasing my chances of another one. Every drug can have adverse reactions, even Tylenol. Honestly, if I had experienced great results with Zelnorm, I would still be taking it. I did not really see a benefit, so why continue? I intend to follow Heather's diet and I started taking Benefiber 3 days ago. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

risk?? new
      #11181 - 06/09/03 05:04 PM
2sweeties

Reged: 06/04/03

What are the risks of Zelmorn? Can you please shre with us?

Glad you posted your topic, I was thinking about taking it.

Re: risk?? new
      #11193 - 06/09/03 05:49 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Do a board search for Zelnorm. There are past posts with links to detailed clinical research about the drug, risks, side effects, etc. Look for posts on the topic by Heather - they'll have the links.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: risk?? Here it is new
      #11207 - 06/09/03 10:11 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

http://www.zelnorm.com/hcp/about/zelnorm/tolerability.jsp

Got to this site and see for yourself.
I was actually glad my pharmacy WOULDN'T approve it even though prescribed by my gastro. Like I was told, probably because it was so new. I had spent over 2 months (thanks to much of what was in Heather's 1st year book)getting my self on a "regular" track. I did not like the idea of being tossed into the IBS-D group from recently overcoming C (with vigilant determination) nor the side affects that went with it. I told the gastro that, but you know some docs, they aren't happy unless they are perscribing the latest in drugs. I applaud you who ditch Zelnorm if it's not working of if you see a more natural, less risky way to reduce symptoms. BUT I fully understand there are those for whom it has been a blessing. We are all different.

--------------------

Re: risk?? new
      #11221 - 06/10/03 05:50 AM
artist

2sweeties, You can do an internet search, type in "Zelnorm ovarian cysts". There was a higher occurrance of ovarian cysts in the study. There also was an increase in abdominal surgeries among test group. I really DO NOT want to pass judgement on this drug. I am merely relating my personal experience with it. I chose to stop taking it because I did not see enough results to justify continuing. However, the doctors don't seem to tell patients ANYTHING regarding possible adverse reactions. I think everyone should make an informed decision about what is right for them personally.

#11370 - 06/11/03 07:48 AM
jules19

Reged: 06/11/03

I'm new to this board, and newly diagnosed with IBS-C. I've tried Zelnorm, and it completely wreaked havoc on my system. I had explosive D the entire week that I tried it. I was told that it would give major D for the first two weeks, but the benefits of not being C has outweighed the painful and annoying D that it caused. I had an upper GI done and now am trying a doctor prescribed IBS elimination diet.

By the way, this looks like a great board, and I plan on coming back regularly!!

#11593 - 06/13/03 07:58 AM
NANCY595

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: Ohio

I have now begun my second course of Zelnorm. It helped me immensly. WHen I was done with the first course for four days I was again severly C. My doc agreed to a second course. I just wonder, since it is not approved for long term use, what I'm going to do next. I take benefiber in the am and pm along with the zelnorm. I don't know the reasoning behind not allowing you to continue to take it if it solves the problem of C

#11600 - 06/13/03 09:06 AM
sunidlite

Loc: South Coast Oregon

My doctor prescribed Zelnorm for me and I never had the prescription filled. It was actually my surgeon, and he mentioned it was new, had to look it up in fact to find correct dosage and never looked to see if it would interact with what else I was taking. So I came home and did a look up, which I'm thankful I did. I have IBS-D and Zelnorm is only meant for short term therapy for women with severe constipation where other therapies haven't worked. It's not meant to be taken for more than 4 weeks. I thought OMG! Thank goodness I had enough sense to check it out first. That's when I knew I needed to see someone else.

#11601 - 06/13/03 09:16 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I'm so glad to read this thread because I ditched the zelnorm after only 2 weeks and have had moments where I've wondered if I should have given it more of a chance. Now, I don't think so. It did nothing - I mean nothing! Except give me awful headaches. And I took it religiously according to the prescription. I too hate to be on medicine and if it's not a long term solution I don't see the real benefit. Same reason my bottle of Miralax is in the medicine cabinet never opened. That's just me!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Zelnorm worked for me new
      #15808 - 07/31/03 12:08 PM
swimuk

Reged: 07/31/03
Loc: Ohio

I used Zelnorm for 3 months and it helped me immensely. I can't tell you how nice it was to have that first normal bowel movement. That 3 month relief gave me time to get in a new routine of eating habits. Boy -and I thought I ate healthy before. I don't know anyone who eats better than I now. After figuring out what foods work for me and what don't, I can control my symptoms about 90% of the time.
Here's to healthy eating a regular excercise!
Heather

This is great! Good inspiration for others. -nt- new
      #15812 - 07/31/03 12:21 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Zelnorm worked for me new
      #15814 - 07/31/03 12:31 PM
RLU

Reged: 02/04/03
Loc: Jackson, Mississippi

It worked for me too!!! I am on my second course and it really helps tremendously with C although I don't thing any works better than Phazyme and Fennel Tea for bloating. But unfortunately it doesn't work for everyone

--------------------
Screen Name: Nan275

#15867 - 07/31/03 09:41 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

hi everyone; is that a new kind of suplemeny, or what is zelnorm?nt

#15882 - 08/01/03 03:53 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

www.zelnorm.com

zelnorm new
      #16042 - 08/01/03 08:24 PM
Leah

Reged: 06/18/03
Loc: Denver, CO.

I am so glad that this topic came up. Zelnorm is something I have considered taking as a last resort. I am IBS-C and am doing very well on Heather's diet and switching back and forth about every month between Metamucil and Fibercon. I too have had ovarian cysts and have endometriosis and for now I think I'll put Zelnorm on hold. Thanks everyone for the great info!
Leah

#18392 - 08/24/03 11:54 AM
javafiend

Reged: 08/23/03
Loc: DeSoto, TX

I saw your message on the IBS message board.
I hope you can help me. I am a graduate student at George Washington University. I am in the process of finishing my thesis about women who are taking or have taken the prescription medication Zelnorm. I need about ten women volunteers. The purpose of my paper is to interview these women over a 2 month period to gather data on their quality of life before and after taking Zelnorm. You will only be identified as "case" studies. I would love to speak with you. If you are interested in participating, please email or give me a call. Thanks Any information you can provide me would be greatly appreciated. My phone number is (972) 223-5454 Thank you
Kimberly

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2883 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4791

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review